choices

"Yeah, somebody done outed his troll-self. Woops."

I thought everyone already knew that??? It was a left over from the old politics.com.

Well, all the IMPORTANT people already knew it.

"Well unless that person has a shot gun and has no problem using it I'm still going to pass on the hiking on glaciers."

I would not recommend shooting a bear with a shotgun. Unless you REALLY wanna piss it off.

"Well unless that person has a shot gun and has no problem using it I'm still going to pass on the hiking on glaciers."

I would not recommend shooting a bear with a shotgun. Unless you REALLY wanna piss it off.

really? How would you kill it? Would a tranquilizer gun be better?

Yep, Smoked Salmon is just purely fantastic as well.
At least in Alaska and the NW, the darned yankees in the NE don't know how to prepare Salmon or something...I have eaten it in several places in both locations....well the pacific NW, did not make it quite up to alaska though.

"really? How would you kill it? Would a tranquilizer gun be better?"

It is rare that a bear will actually attack a human. Normally, it is because the human came between mamma bear and her cub. Occasionally they will attack for lack of food. Mostly just being noisy on a trail will work. Personally if it is a hike where bears are likley to be around, I carry a 45 as it makes a nice loud noise and has a nice little sting for Mr. Bear.

I would absolutely love to go to Alaska. Take my cameras, loads of film, and spend weeks in Denali. I used to canoe-camp (a week at a time) in Algonquin Park, Ont.; on the trip home I always tried to think of ways I could just live there forever, it was so beautiful and peaceful.

With all the books I have on AK, it's surprising that I haven't gone yet.

The bears are probably Kodiaks, a variety of grizzly bear.

I would absolutely love to go to Alaska. Take my cameras, loads of film, and spend weeks in Denali. I used to canoe-camp (a week at a time) in Algonquin Park, Ont.; on the trip home I always tried to think of ways I could just live there forever, it was so beautiful and peaceful.

With all the books I have on AK, it's surprising that I haven't gone yet.

The bears are probably Kodiaks, a variety of grizzly bear.

"Grizzly Man"
That was the name of the "documentary"

"really? How would you kill it? Would a tranquilizer gun be better?"

It is rare that a bear will actually attack a human. Normally, it is because the human came between mamma bear and her cub. Occasionally they will attack for lack of food. Mostly just being noisy on a trail will work. Personally if it is a hike where bears are likley to be around, I carry a 45 as it makes a nice loud noise and has a nice little sting for Mr. Bear.

God needs a gun? I thought all you had to do was smite it or something. And didn't you create the beasts to begin with?

"Grizzly Man"
That was the name of the "documentary"

I vaguely remember something about that. My recollection is that the guy just didn't take the proper precautions at all. You can love nature without having to "own" it, to touch and pet everything; indeed it's pretty foolish to try. Similarly you can protect wildlife without going to live with them, as it seems he tried to do on a temporary basis.

At our local wildlife rehab center there's a bobcat who's been there since he was a cub. He's beautiful, and like all their "wildlife ambassadors" he has a name, which somehow makes him seem more approachable. That is, to say the least, misleading. This guy will approach visitors, rub his body along the bars of his cage nearest them, seemingly inviting them to reach out and pet him, but it's a ploy. If anyone were foolish enough to get near him he'd turn on them and shred the offered hand. Even some volunteers who have known him since he arrived are afraid to enter his cage to feed him. He's beautiful, but he's a wild animal with his own nature, and you have to respect that.

I vaguely remember something about that. My recollection is that the guy just didn't take the proper precautions at all. You can love nature without having to "own" it, to touch and pet everything; indeed it's pretty foolish to try. Similarly you can protect wildlife without going to live with them, as it seems he tried to do on a temporary basis.

Oh, the guy was definitely a cards short of a deck. There is no question about that and he was not being careful and people warned him repeatedly.

Oh, the guy was definitely a cards short of a deck. There is no question about that and he was not being careful and people warned him repeatedly.
He also said that he was happy, and specifically said that he would remain so even if it killed him.

Who's to say? Perhaps he had experiences that no one else could possibly have had. It's not a choice I would make, certainly, but that's just me.

Thorn... I have been up to AK several times. It is well worth the trip. Go in late July timeframe for best chances at decent weather. Very scenic rail trip up to Denali is also recommened.

For a closer trip, if you haven't been to Yosemite, I highly recommend that as well. You can rent out the cabins at the base of Half Dome. (which coincidentally is a great day hike if you enjoy that... about 14 miles round trip)

On the Grizzly guy,
Yeah, kinda like volunteerring for Iraq, Ok for some I guess, but not for me.
I had an offer as a contractor over there, big bucks and I took all of 100ms to decide not to go.

Back