Christopher Hitchens on Having Cancer

there are infinite possibilities for the type of god one can believe in. pascals wager is useless. Maybe there is a god that wants to see critical and logical thinking among humans, and if you suspend those, he'll send you to hell.

This may seem odd coming from one who was formerly named Voltaire, but Pascal's wager makes a lot of sense. Hitchens had everything to lose by rejecting God, whereas Christians have everything to gain. Some would argue the wager is useless due to the vast number of religions, but I believe a close examination of Christianity reveals that it is quite different from other religions. For one thing, it is supported by eye witnesses (e.g. of the resurrection). There is simply no comparison between the account of Jesus Christ and the tales of Valhalla.

there are infinite possibilities for the type of god one can believe in. pascals wager is useless. Maybe there is a god that wants to see critical and logical thinking among humans, and if you suspend those, he'll send you to hell.

That's the thing about Hitchens. The guy was truly committed to promoting the ethical and moral life, and in saving Western Civilization (the place where Christianity initially took root). Technically, he defended many of the things/ways that one assumes Jesus to be a supporter. I hope God has taken all of this into consideration. Probably the worst offense that Hitchens committed was badmouthing Mother Theresa. I also thought it was intriguing how Hitchens' defense of the West put him at odds with the Left during his last decade of life.

That's the thing about Hitchens. The guy was truly committed to promoting the ethical and moral life, and in saving Western Civilization (the place where Christianity initially took root). Technically, he defended many of the things/ways that one assumes Jesus to be a supporter. I hope God has taken all of this into consideration. Probably the worst offense that Hitchens committed was badmouthing Mother Theresa. I also thought it was intriguing how Hitchens' defense of the West put him at odds with the Left during his last decade of life.

How did Hitchens promote an "ethical and moral life"?

Christopher Hitchens and I have a lot in common on that front, when you separate out religion. We are both snobs, we engage in assholery when we are on a political tirade/crusade, we both agree(d) that Western Civilization is in danger and needs defending, and we both tended to support Bush's policy in the Mideast as it was ongoing (Hitchens took issue with Bush's methods and go-to men; while I evolved my thinking beyond neoconservative foreign policy to realpolitick Kissinger-style, whom Hitchens ironically hated).

This may seem odd coming from one who was formerly named Voltaire, but Pascal's wager makes a lot of sense. Hitchens had everything to lose by rejecting God, whereas Christians have everything to gain. Some would argue the wager is useless due to the vast number of religions, but I believe a close examination of Christianity reveals that it is quite different from other religions. For one thing, it is supported by eye witnesses (e.g. of the resurrection). There is simply no comparison between the account of Jesus Christ and the tales of Valhalla.

There are alos thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, witness accounts through the process of beatification of saints.

In order to receive this "honor", one must first be dead, then the living must pray for the deceased's intervention with Jesus, then miracles must happen as a result of said prayer, and the Church must document and certify the accuracy of the sequence of events. My point is that this process also documents communication and response with those close to God and therefore with God.

There are alos thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, witness accounts through the process of beatification of saints.

unsubstantiated "witness" account from thousands of years ago. We also have thousands of people that have "witnessed" bigfoot, ufo's, the loch ness monster etc.

:derp: <-- religious people

In order to receive this "honor", one must first be dead, then the living must pray for the deceased's intervention with Jesus, then miracles must happen as a result of said prayer, and the Church must document and certify the accuracy of the sequence of events. My point is that this process also documents communication and response with those close to God and therefore with God.

Lol.

It's only sad knowing how serious you are.

The church: "yup, definitely a miracle. People prayed for rain for their crops and it RAINED. This saint is hereby certified"

^ proof for damnyankee

Back