Chrome facts

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
http://nothing-to-hide.org/LeatherFacts/Chrome:_the_facts_1

Tanning agents based on chromium have been in widespread use in the leather industry for more than a century and, because the chromium in the compounds tanners use is in the trivalent state, this threatens no harm to workers or wearers of leather. As Dr Dietrich Tegtmeyer, vice-president of the International Union of Leather Technologists and Chemists Societies (IULTCS), makes clear in this eighth essay in the Nothing to Hide series, the presence of harmful hexavalent chromium can be avoided if tanners and leather chemicals manufacturers treat the materials they use with due care and attention.

I feel much safer now carrying my rifles with a leather sling, or tightening my belt, or sitting in my car seat, or...

More chromium facts.

The regulatory limit for chromium in waste is 5 mg/l per the toxicity characteristic leaching procedure in EPA test methods SW-846. If a waste leaches chromium in excess of this level it must be managed as hazardous waste and must meet treatment standards for the toxicity characteristic for chromium (RCRA Code D007) prior to land disposal per 40 CFR 261.24.

However leather goods, such as leather gloves, are excluded from this regulation for the very reasons you stated.

Before leather goods was excluded from hazardous waste regulation for chromium toxicity characteristics a lot of companies got dinged by EPA for improper disposal as they were unaware of leather containing chromium. This occurred mostly when workers tossed leather gloves in the municipal trash bin.

we are presently dealing with a crisis in West Michigan because of contaminated water from residues of the water proofing chemicals used by the Wolverine Shoe Company that made Hush Puppy Shoes......has effected several municipal water supplies.......

Before leather goods was excluded from hazardous waste regulation for chromium toxicity characteristics a lot of companies got dinged by EPA for improper disposal as they were unaware of leather containing chromium. This occurred mostly when workers tossed leather gloves in the municipal trash bin.

Last semester in one of my classes we were gifted with some commercially brain-tanned deer hides that we made mittens from. Does this process also use chromium?

Hexavalent Chromium is the latest boogey man all our OSHA training is harping over. Was at my last shop too with regards to ventilation.

Hexavalent Chromium is the latest boogey man all our OSHA training is harping over. Was at my last shop too with regards to ventilation.

Hex Chrome (Cr6+) is nasty assed shit. Not only is it very toxic it's also a proven carcinogen. Trivalent Chromium (Cr3+) isn't nearly as bad and, in fact, is an essential trace mineral for biological function.

The problem is differentiating between hex and tri chrome at trace levels. Most instrumental assays either cannot differentiate between the two oxidation states (AAS, ICP) or they have serious matrix interferences where you have to take the results with a grain of salt (UV/VIS Spectroscopy, HPIC). I don't know how many times when evaluating chromium contaminated waste where I'd receive total chromium results using AAS or ICP (very accurate) but the hexavalent chormium total via HPIC would be higher than the total chromium...which is blatantly not possible.

Last semester in one of my classes we were gifted with some commercially brain-tanned deer hides that we made mittens from. Does this process also use chromium?
I have no earthly idea. If it's brain-tanned, probably not as that's not a common commercial method of tanning leather but more a traditional method.

I have no earthly idea. If it's brain-tanned, probably not as that's not a common commercial method of tanning leather but more a traditional method.

Do you know whether they use chromium when processing furs? I have some rabbit fur that I'm going to use to line our mittens with. The fur side will be against our skin; the hide side against the mitten hide.

More chromium facts.

The regulatory limit for chromium in waste is 5 mg/l per the toxicity characteristic leaching procedure in EPA test methods SW-846. If a waste leaches chromium in excess of this level it must be managed as hazardous waste and must meet treatment standards for the toxicity characteristic for chromium (RCRA Code D007) prior to land disposal per 40 CFR 261.24.

However leather goods, such as leather gloves, are excluded from this regulation for the very reasons you stated.

What about leather wallets? How bad are they?

What about leather wallets? How bad are they?

too-much-money-photo-u1

Back