Confession...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
I have never read "Catcher in the Rye"... I really don't even know what the book is about.

I have never read "Catcher in the Rye"... I really don't even know what the book is about.

I haven't read it either.

I'm gonna take a flyer and bet it's some kind of baseball story?

Or maybe about the local animal control officer tracking wild beasts in tall grass?

Join us... Who else hasn't read this mysterious book?

This is what Wilki said about it.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
First edition cover Author J. D. Salinger Country United States Language English Genre(s) Novel Publisher Little, Brown and Company Publication date July 16, 1951 Media type Print (Hardback & Paperback) Pages 276 pp ISBN 0-316-76953-3
The cover of the 1985 Bantam edition.

The Catcher in the Rye is a 1951 novel by J. D. Salinger. Originally published for adults,[1] the novel has become a common part of high school and college curricula throughout the English-speaking world[citation needed]; it has also been translated into almost all of the world's major languages.[2] Around 250,000 copies are sold each year, with total sales of more than sixty-five million.[3] The novel's antihero, Holden Caulfield, has become an icon for teenage rebellion and defiance.[4]
The novel was among the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to 2005 as chosen by Time,[5] and named by Modern Library and its readers as one of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. It has been frequently challenged[6][7][8] in the United States for its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality and teenage angst.

Last edited:
It's a coming of age story about a teenage boy at a prep school who's having an identity crises. Many of the situations and feeling the protagonist have are universal in nature in regards to the feelings a young man has when he bridges the gap from childhood dependence to adult independence. Most every male I know who's read to book has said "Wow, that's what I felt like when I was a teenager." and that's why Catcher in the Rye is a classic.

It's a short read but a good one. I very much recommend it. To this day, I do not understand why this book, with it's universal themes, would even remotely be considered controversial by conservatives. Go figure?

I read it when I was in high school and it had a huge impact on me. Made me realize my feelings about myself and my experiences were in no way unique. Made me feel a lot better about myself.

Last edited:
It's a coming of age story about a teenage boy at a prep school who's having an identity crises. Many of the situations and feeling the protagonist have are universal in nature in regards to the feelings a young man has when he bridges the gap from childhood dependence to adult independence. Most every male I know who's read to book has said "Wow, that's what I felt like when I was a teenager." and that's why Catcher in the Rye is a classic.

It's a short read but a good one. I very much recommend it. To this day, I do not understand why this book, with it's universal themes, would even remotely be considered controversial by conservatives. Go figure?

I read it when I was in high school and it had a huge impact on me. Made me realize my feelings about myself and my experiences were in no way unique. Made me feel a lot better about myself.

Blaming it on the Conservatives? You are stretching it.

From everything I've seen, supposedly Conservatives all have read it and especially the Conspiracy Theorists....

:dunno:

i think both lee harvey oswald and the guy that shot reagan both had this book on their person. It's a favorite book among assasins.

Religious prude conservatives don't like it because it's high school reading material and the kid goes to a prostitute and the pimp comes after him, to my recollection. among other zany happenings.

Maybe it's the fact that he buys a prostitute and his gay teacher comes onto him.

Read it in high school, didn't leave much of an impression.

Now, when my English teacher showed us Inherit the Wind, that left an impression...

It's not a coming of age story.

It's a story about the hell of seeing through the horror of our fake society and it's evils.

The protagonist dies in the end.

The catcher in the rye is the one who keeps the children safe who are playing tag.

it's a tale of warning about the future of seeing the truth. It's bleak, because human society is bleak.

Back