CONNECT 4

I was playing this game the morning of January 20, 1993. Of course, the massive windstorm was much more exciting than fucking Connect IV, which is the only reason why I remember playing it that day.

It was awesome. We lost power for three days, and that night we went next door to our neighbours for a party they threw (their power line ran from a different direction).

My mom walked down to the school to get me once they officially cancelled, and as we walked back, the storm was picking up. As we got to my cul-de-sac, a tree came down over the power line, and the cable snapped and landed about five feet from where I stood. Although I felt no danger, being young, I guess that technically counts as a near death experience. Anyway, it sparked up, and I thought it was cool so I took a step toward it. My mom panicked and grabbed me by the shoulder, steering be up the cul-de-sac toward the house.

That was the worst weather experience until December of 2007. I had just finished my Fall semester of college and drove up to Seattle from Olympia. The wind storm struck shortly after my arrival, and it wrecked havoc on the Puget Sound area. This time we were without power for five days, and only because the town mayor actually called the governor after being pestered with complaints. Some people were out a full two weeks.

The next morning we discovered we were "treed" in, as trees had fallen accross the road on both ends. Everyone on the cul-de-sac grabbed a cutting tool, and we cut open a lane of traffic on one end so that people could drive to work. I had a lot of fun with this one. That night, I plugged my laptop into the phone line for dial up internet. I had difficulty seeing what I was typing, so we lit a candle, and I ironically surfed the internet by candlelight. Still one of my proudest moments on this planet.

0aqaTaE.png

Okay, I had to ask to make sure I didn't say "dude, I would bang those women; not play Connect IV with them!" and then have it turn out that they're old grandmas or something. :cool:
Well I can't tell you from experience as I've never been to walking street in Pattaya but it is well known for its night life. It's a wonderful tourist destination regardless. There is more to Patayya than walking street.

The Philippines has it's equivalent on Fields Ave near the now defunct Clark Air Base in Angeles City in Pampanga province north of Manila. Manila also has its infamous EDSA complex with a lot of go-go bars geared towards tourist. In all the times I've been to the Philippine I've studiosly avoided both places due to their association with the sex trade. .......of course I still ended up marrying a lovely Filipina so be carefull if your a single man if you go to SE Asia and you're determined to remain single! LOL

Last edited:
Well I can't tell you from experience as I've never been to walking street in Pattaya but it is well known for its night life. It's a wonderful tourist destination regardless. There is more to Patayya than walking street.

The Philippines has it's equivalent on Fields Ave near the now defunct Clark Air Base in Angeles City in Pampanga province north of Manila. Manila also has its infamous EDSA complex with a lot of go-go bars geared towards tourist. In all the times I've been to the Philippine I've studiosly avoided both places due to their association with the sex trade. .......of course I still ended up marrying a lovely Filipina so be carefull if your a single man if you go to SE Asia and you're determined to remain single! LOL

When people think of Pattaya they tend to think of South Pattaya, Beach Road and Walking Street. They are very much in your face and I can't say I like it that much. Although there is one fantastic bar next to Walking Street called Bamboo which has some really good Thai and British bands most nights. It is a very cosmopolitan place although funnily enough you hardly ever see Americans there. In fact you only really see Americans when the 7th Fleet is in at Laem Chabang. There are some really fantastic seafood restaurants on Beach Road but they have become very expensive in the last few years.

If you want to get away from all that, then North Pattaya and Jomtien Beach are much quieter. There are also some seriously good Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and of course Thai restaurants near the Dolphin roundabout in North Pattaya.

When people think of Pattaya they tend to think of South Pattaya, Beach Road and Walking Street. They are very much in your face and I can't say I like it that much. Although there is one fantastic bar next to Walking Street called Bamboo which has some really good Thai and British bands most nights. It is a very cosmopolitan place although funnily enough you hardly ever see Americans there. In fact you only really see Americans when the 7th Fleet is in at Laem Chabang. There are some really fantastic seafood restaurants on Beach Road but they have become very expensive in the last few years.

If you want to get away from all that, then North Pattaya and Jomtien Beach are much quieter. There are also some seriously good Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and of course Thai restaurants near the Dolphin roundabout in North Pattaya.
I first heard about Patayya years ago from my Uncle who was a Vietnam war vet. He went to Pattaya a couple of times while on leave from the Corp. He also went there on vacation in the 80's. He loved Thailand. He tried to convince me to go there but I never seemed to be able to come p with the coin of the time off and when I finally did I opted for the Philippines. A decision a don't regret at all.....though don't get me wrong. I'd still love to visit Thailand.

Back