Conor Oberst is God

There around. Nothings changed. Back when we were in high school/college there was the "Cool Police" and the "Art Fashionistas". Quality and craftsmanship just didnt' seem to have anything to do with it. They just wave their majic wand and declare it "Cool" and so it is (at least with them). Look at all the hair bands from the 80's that no one remembers that the fashionistas raved about. Remember in the 90's how the fashionistas would look down their long patronizing noses at REM, Nirvana and Pearl Jam, while raving about now long forgotten groups (and rightfully so) like Gin Blossom, Sponge and Tonic?

Remember back in the 70's how the fashionistas loved the New York Dolls, Mobie Grape and King Crimson? They also laughed at Aerosmith, Black Sabbath and AC/DC as Led Zepplin wannabees? When's the last time you heard the New York Dolls or King Crimson on the radio?

Now don't get me wrong. It's not the groups I'm making fun off, it's the "Cool Police" and the "Art Fashionistas" I'm making fun off. King Crimson and Gin Blossom had some good music but, to state the obvious, weren't what the fashionistas built them up to be.

I don't know what group you hung with, but all the "Art Fashionistas" I remember LOVED REM, Nirvana and Pearl Jam as much as they loved Gin Blossoms, Sponge and Tonic.

And don't forget, there's a big difference between commercial success and critical success. Just because a band's a commercial success doesn't make it a great band, just a popular one.

Frank Zappa only had one song in the top 40 his entire musical career and it was a novelty hit, yet he's recorded over 60 albums and to this day influences an entire generation of musicians.

Errrr Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) plays accoustic guitar.
here's Cat, playing his accoustic guitar....
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTU4X3ICauc"]YouTube - Cat Stevens - Love / Heaven - from Foreigner Live - 1973[/ame]

have you ever listened to the piano solo on Foreigner Suite?......
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmOXNlID2Xs"]YouTube - Cat Stevens - The Foreigner Suite Part II 1973[/ame]

Last edited:
watermark I am calling an emergency meeting of youngins pwn to vote out mottley from youngins pwn, sr. addition

You miss the point Waterhead. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or in this case the ear). Art is a personal experience and all the "Cool Police" and "Art Fashionistas" opinion amounts to about squat. You make a great point about the hair bands. Ditto country music. Some of the best music comes out of Nashville but the art fashionistas would rather eat razor blades then admit that. LOL

Its this line of thinking that gave us pomo/garbage.

Granted, the art fashionistas of today tend to like pomo, so I guess Western art is officially dead...

Back