Cornell cancels lacrosse season because of beer 'hazing'

cawacko

College students/athletes having beer races and drinking until they vomit is worthy of cancelling a sports season? Yeah I get the whole free will thing but this is a joke.

Cornell details lacrosse team hazing

Cornell officials say the hazing that resulted in the cancellation of the men's lacrosse team's fall season included underclassmen being made to chug beer to the point where some of them vomited.

The university announced last week that the team's fall games were canceled after an investigation determined that upperclassmen had hazed freshman players.

According to a report posted on Cornell's hazing website, freshmen were expected to perform menial tasks and other duties for upperclassmen. The report says the team held a party featuring a "key race," during which freshmen were challenged to drink large amounts of beer in a competition against other team members.

College officials say the freshmen were made to stand in a circle and drink beer to the point where "multiple members vomited."

Cornell went 14-4 last season and lost to eventual national champion Duke in the NCAA semifinals.

Rob Pannell, who played at Cornell from 2008-13, denied in a phone interview last week with Bloomberg news service that hazing had taken place while he was with the team.

"In my five-plus years as a member of the Cornell lacrosse family, I can confidently say that no hazing took place," he said. "We're a program many teams on campus strive to be like."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nell-big-red-lacrosse-freshmen-made-chug-beer

College students/athletes having beer races and drinking until they vomit is worthy of cancelling a sports season? Yeah I get the whole free will thing but this is a joke.

Cornell details lacrosse team hazing

Cornell officials say the hazing that resulted in the cancellation of the men's lacrosse team's fall season included underclassmen being made to chug beer to the point where some of them vomited.

The university announced last week that the team's fall games were canceled after an investigation determined that upperclassmen had hazed freshman players.

According to a report posted on Cornell's hazing website, freshmen were expected to perform menial tasks and other duties for upperclassmen. The report says the team held a party featuring a "key race," during which freshmen were challenged to drink large amounts of beer in a competition against other team members.

College officials say the freshmen were made to stand in a circle and drink beer to the point where "multiple members vomited."

Cornell went 14-4 last season and lost to eventual national champion Duke in the NCAA semifinals.

Rob Pannell, who played at Cornell from 2008-13, denied in a phone interview last week with Bloomberg news service that hazing had taken place while he was with the team.

"In my five-plus years as a member of the Cornell lacrosse family, I can confidently say that no hazing took place," he said. "We're a program many teams on campus strive to be like."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nell-big-red-lacrosse-freshmen-made-chug-beer

Is the school just supposed to turn their backs and ignore the underage drinking and any potential legal problems when such activities are going on?

The school could get so sued for this if anyone gets sick or dies from the hazing. Since this was a team event, it's appropriate that the team get punished. Canceling the season seems to get the right message across.

Drinking in colleges (it seems from what I've read) is much worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Cracking down on things like this needs to happen more.

Is the school just supposed to turn their backs and ignore the underage drinking and any potential legal problems when such activities are going on?

If we cancelled the season of every college athletic team that had underage drinking there wouldn't be college athletics. There wouldn't be college bands. There wouldn't be a Greek system.

Should we cancel the athletic season of any team that has a player caught doing pot because weed is illegal right?

The school could get so sued for this if anyone gets sick or dies from the hazing. Since this was a team event, it's appropriate that the team get punished. Canceling the season seems to get the right message across.

Drinking in colleges (it seems from what I've read) is much worse than it was 20 or 30 years ago. Cracking down on things like this needs to happen more.

You went to college right? Did kids not drink at your school? Unless you went to BYU or certain Christian schools I find that difficult to believe.

""Properly collected study data — which has gone unmentioned in recent media trend stories — suggest that today’s college students aren’t misusing alcohol or drugs at any higher rates than their parents did.""

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/28/college-binge-drinking-how-bad-is-the-problem-really/

If we cancelled the season of every college athletic team that had underage drinking there wouldn't be college athletics. There wouldn't be college bands. There wouldn't be a Greek system.

Should we cancel the athletic season of any team that has a player caught doing pot because weed is illegal right?

This was a hazing event. An organization officially did hazing by forcing players to drink too much.

This isn't "they held a party and people came and drank too much". This was an official event where they were forced to drink too much.

See the difference?

And getting rid of college athletics and the Greek system - doesn't bother me. College should be about education, not sports.

You went to college right? Did kids not drink at your school? Unless you went to BYU or certain Christian schools I find that difficult to believe.

""Properly collected study data — which has gone unmentioned in recent media trend stories — suggest that today’s college students aren’t misusing alcohol or drugs at any higher rates than their parents did.""

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/28/college-binge-drinking-how-bad-is-the-problem-really/

good to know. Glad the stories I read were exaggerated.

This was a hazing event. An organization officially did hazing by forcing players to drink too much.

This isn't "they held a party and people came and drank too much". This was an official event where they were forced to drink too much.

See the difference?

And getting rid of college athletics and the Greek system - doesn't bother me. College should be about education, not sports.

Fair enough, I just view it totally differently.

1) I played sports as a kid and thought it was a great experience. I loved it. I would have played in college if I had been good enough. For some sports is the way to get into college when they would not have been able to otherwise.

2) The college experience is more than just education. You are there to learn, yes. But it's also about finding yourself as a person and growing as an individual. It's much more than just going to class and sitting in a library studying for eight hours each day. Sports and social experiences are all a part of it.

I hesitate to throw the baby out with the bathwater on issues like this. Hazing like this may be a bit inappropriate, but lessons learned in team sports - not all of which are learned on the field - can be valuable ones that really carry over into the real world in tangible ways.

If that's the type of University you are looking for there wouldn't be a problem. You would be in a very small minority of people that are looking for that though.

depends.....its the type of university PARENTS would consider sending their kids......perhaps not the one kids would choose.....

depends.....its the type of university PARENTS would consider sending their kids......perhaps not the one kids would choose.....

How many Universities today have no athletics, bands and Greek system vs. those that do?

I don't know the exact data but the number of the latter colleges sure seem to outnumber the former by a very large margin so it seems parents have made their decision.

education should be more about the child's desires than the parents. If the parents can afford it, they should consider acquiescing to the children's goals and aspirations.

How many Universities today have no athletics, bands and Greek system vs. those that do?

I don't know the exact data but the number of the latter colleges sure seem to outnumber the former by a very large margin so it seems parents have made their decision.

aw shucks......did you really mean to move the goal posts?.....we are talking about whether schools should have underaged drinking, not whether they should have athletics and bands....actually, I think many universities have in fact gotten rid of greeks......or at least clamped down on their most stupid activities....

education should be more about the child's desires than the parents. If the parents can afford it, they should consider acquiescing to the children's goals and aspirations.

lol.....actually, I think that if they can afford it, children should go to the school they desire.....if they need their parents help they better acquiesce to the parents aspirations.....

aw shucks......did you really mean to move the goal posts?.....we are talking about whether schools should have underaged drinking, not whether they should have athletics and bands....actually, I think many universities have in fact gotten rid of greeks......or at least clamped down on their most stupid activities....

I'm not aware of schools that say underage drinking is ok. The fact of the matter is there are high school and college kids who are underage who drink. This can't be a surprise to anyone.

Yes many schools have cracked down on fraternities and sororities. It's been going on for quite awhile.

And the OP was about sports and supposed hazing.

Back