Cornell cancels lacrosse season because of beer 'hazing'

How many Universities today have no athletics, bands and Greek system vs. those that do?

I don't know the exact data but the number of the latter colleges sure seem to outnumber the former by a very large margin so it seems parents have made their decision.

Obviously schools have voted for athletics, bands, and the greek system, I certainly participated in my share of frat parties, but I don't like the Greek system - too exclusive. But yeah, not going to disappear any time soon.

But when major abuses happen - the sport, the band, the frat should be punished. When a football program tolerates pedophile behavior by a major coach; if cheating on an organized basis happens; or, in this case, if the hazing sponsored by a team (or frat or band) is potentially dangerous to the hazee - then there needs to be a punishment.

Is the loss of an entire season of lacrosse too much? Guess it depends on their past history, have they been warned, was this unusual or business as usual? That's up to the college to decide.

Schools need to set the limits of acceptable behavior. And obviously, this will vary; my guess is Brigham Young Univ has different standards than Chico State.

which is why I'm wondering why you're asking how many universities have athletics....why do you think you can't have athletics unless you have hazing involving underage drinking?......

Zappa asked if the University is suppose to ignore underage drinking. Young people drink alcohol. It happens. If schools canceled the schedule for every team where someone underage drank alcohol college athletics wouldn't exist.

lol.....actually, I think that if they can afford it, children should go to the school they desire.....if they need their parents help they better acquiesce to the parents aspirations.....

if the parent's aspirations are not to see their children reach THEIR aspirations, they are shitty parents.

Zappa asked if the University is suppose to ignore underage drinking. Young people drink alcohol. It happens. If schools canceled the schedule for every team where someone underage drank alcohol college athletics wouldn't exist.

and it would be no loss.....

if the parent's aspirations are not to see their children reach THEIR aspirations, they are shitty parents.

lol......"Daddy, I want to go to State"....."why Cindy?"......"because I saw this awesome "girls gone wild" video they filmed there"......"Sorry Cindy, I'm about to be a shitty parent".......

lol......"Daddy, I want to go to State"....."why Cindy?"......"because I saw this awesome "girls gone wild" video they filmed there"......"Sorry Cindy, I'm about to be a shitty parent".......

Are you just anti-college or anti any college that isn't a strict religious based University?

good point. let me amend that to say higher aspirations.

that being said, if, when my daughter was a senior in high school, she had been motivated by such immature and irrelevant things, I would have thought I had been a shitty parent. How about you?..oh wait... maybe Cindy actually said that to you? my bad.

College students/athletes having beer races and drinking until they vomit is worthy of cancelling a sports season? Yeah I get the whole free will thing but this is a joke.

Cornell details lacrosse team hazing

Cornell officials say the hazing that resulted in the cancellation of the men's lacrosse team's fall season included underclassmen being made to chug beer to the point where some of them vomited.

The university announced last week that the team's fall games were canceled after an investigation determined that upperclassmen had hazed freshman players.

According to a report posted on Cornell's hazing website, freshmen were expected to perform menial tasks and other duties for upperclassmen. The report says the team held a party featuring a "key race," during which freshmen were challenged to drink large amounts of beer in a competition against other team members.

College officials say the freshmen were made to stand in a circle and drink beer to the point where "multiple members vomited."

Cornell went 14-4 last season and lost to eventual national champion Duke in the NCAA semifinals.

Rob Pannell, who played at Cornell from 2008-13, denied in a phone interview last week with Bloomberg news service that hazing had taken place while he was with the team.

"In my five-plus years as a member of the Cornell lacrosse family, I can confidently say that no hazing took place," he said. "We're a program many teams on campus strive to be like."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nell-big-red-lacrosse-freshmen-made-chug-beer
Great! I bet this was a big wake up call to all those Greek assholes on campuses around the country.

Is the school just supposed to turn their backs and ignore the underage drinking and any potential legal problems when such activities are going on?
Underage or not. There is no place for Greek stupidity on any American campus. Hazing is intrinsiclly degrading, dehumanizing and unsafe and those who practice it should be prosecuted. As far as I'm concened those responsible got off easy. They should be expelled from the School and legally prosecuted as well.

Great! I bet this was a big wake up call to all those Greek assholes on campuses around the country.

1) This was a lacrosse team. It had nothing to do with the Greek system.

2) After all the incidents that have happened in the Greek system across the country you think this event is a 'wake up' call? Come on now.

3) Did you get rejected from a fraternity or did a sorority girl turn you down? Why so much bitterness towards the Greek system?

It's too bad they had to cancel the whole season - I would think they could identify who organized it & suspend them, instead of punishing everyone.

Still, I hate hearing about hazing that involved drinking (or any kind of hazing). When a kid is 18 & drinking & trying to fit in, he'll do just about anything, and people do die from drinking too much. Really, it's just a stupid way of initiating people into an organization.

It's too bad they had to cancel the whole season - I would think they could identify who organized it & suspend them, instead of punishing everyone.

Still, I hate hearing about hazing that involved drinking (or any kind of hazing). When a kid is 18 & drinking & trying to fit in, he'll do just about anything, and people do die from drinking too much. Really, it's just a stupid way of initiating people into an organization.

I think the forcing people to drink until they puke is stupid. Making the freshman have drinking races I don't have a problem with.

We were talking sports here but from a fraternity perspective when I was a pledge I never got physically hazed. I did get mentally f'd with and I actually thought that was pretty cool (in retrospect). Any idiot can say 'hey rookie or hey pledge drink this beer'.

If we cancelled the season of every college athletic team that had underage drinking there wouldn't be college athletics. There wouldn't be college bands. There wouldn't be a Greek system.

Should we cancel the athletic season of any team that has a player caught doing pot because weed is illegal right?
This isn't about underage drinking. It's about asine frat boy practices. As far as eliminating the greek system....you say that like it's a bad thing.

You went to college right? Did kids not drink at your school? Unless you went to BYU or certain Christian schools I find that difficult to believe.

""Properly collected study data — which has gone unmentioned in recent media trend stories — suggest that today’s college students aren’t misusing alcohol or drugs at any higher rates than their parents did.""

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/28/college-binge-drinking-how-bad-is-the-problem-really/
You need help with the drinking thing Wacko. It's not about drinking. It's about not tolerating unsafe behavior. Who cares one wit if all those worthless frat boys get tossed out on their asses? Safety is more important than they are. End of debate!

I think the forcing people to drink until they puke is stupid. Making the freshman have drinking races I don't have a problem with.

We were talking sports here but from a fraternity perspective when I was a pledge I never got physically hazed. I did get mentally f'd with and I actually thought that was pretty cool (in retrospect). Any idiot can say 'hey rookie or hey pledge drink this beer'.

I get the mental stuff - no problem w/ that. There was too much physical hazing when I went to college, though.

And I hate to sound like a hypocrite, since I was a binge drinker, but binge drinking at colleges is completely out of hand now.

If that's the type of University you are looking for there wouldn't be a problem. You would be in a very small minority of people that are looking for that though.
Bullshit. The Greek ethos is a retrograde anachronism of a long past era when ones social status meant more than education, talent and ability. Modern Universities are meant to be meritocratic institutions of learning. Not good ole boy social clubs. There's simply no room for this kind of behavior in modern academia.

You need help with the drinking thing Wacko. It's not about drinking. It's about not tolerating unsafe behavior. Who cares one wit if all those worthless frat boys get tossed out on their asses? Safety is more important than they are. End of debate!

Hell lacrosse players get concussions. We could cancel the sport for that reason alone, forget forcing players to drink until they puke.

Fair enough, I just view it totally differently.

1) I played sports as a kid and thought it was a great experience. I loved it. I would have played in college if I had been good enough. For some sports is the way to get into college when they would not have been able to otherwise.

2) The college experience is more than just education. You are there to learn, yes. But it's also about finding yourself as a person and growing as an individual. It's much more than just going to class and sitting in a library studying for eight hours each day. Sports and social experiences are all a part of it.
Not when they're unsafe.

Bullshit. The Greek ethos is a retrograde anachronism of a long past era when ones social status meant more than education, talent and ability. Modern Universities are meant to be meritocratic institutions of learning. Not good ole boy social clubs. There's simply no room for this kind of behavior in modern academia.

Dude, I was talking about sports, band and fraternities. Not just fraternities. You have a serious hard on for Greek life.

Back