Cornell cancels lacrosse season because of beer 'hazing'

You have a really interesting view of Greek life.
Obviously. I don't respect their mission. The games they play with young peoples lives over social status is reprehensible. How they knowingly except a certain amount of patsies each year. Torture them, degrade them, humiliate them, put them through hell week and then just before it all ends the patsies get told "Well, you're just not Alpha Lambda Asshole material. Sorry, you've been black balled.". It's reprehensible behavior and don't tell me that crap doesn't go on in most frat houses.

And don't give me the nonsense about learning social skills. I was a member of the Young Republican all through college and we never, ever treated people like the Greeks did. Of course, to state the obvious as a political organization, it would have been really counter productive.

There was nothing here that said the kids had to do this to be on the team. This wasn't sponsored by the coaches or the University. The kids did this on their own. You would probably receive a lot of cr*p if you didn't participate but no one is forced to.

This was a party hosted by players on the team. That's not a formal team event. That's teammates getting together on their own.

I don't want my kid winding up in the hospital nor do I want my kid winding up an alcoholic but I'm also not going to be so naïve to think that he would never drink or ever drink to much and have to puke.
And again, what does that have to do with the price of fish. You keep missing the point. These people coerced underage people to drink until they got sick. They damned well could have seriously hurt some of them. Like I said earlier. Had I done that to one of your 18 year old kids you'd have my ass arrested.

Obviously. I don't respect their mission. The games they play with young peoples lives over social status is reprehensible. How they knowingly except a certain amount of patsies each year. Torture them, degrade them, humiliate them, put them through hell week and then just before it all ends the patsies get told "Well, you're just not Alpha Lambda Asshole material. Sorry, you've been black balled.". It's reprehensible behavior and don't tell me that crap doesn't go on in most frat houses.

No it doesn't work that way. If you have gone through the semester as a pledge they aren't going to kick you out at the end unless there is a serious fvck up of some sort. I've not heard of someone going through a semester and hell week and then being told they don't make it and I was in a fraternity. I'm not sure where you got the idea from that it's a regular occurrence (or even an occasional one).

If you don't want someone in your fraternity you don't offer them a bid. If you offer a bid to someone who you later decide you don't want you kick them out during the semester, you don't wait until the end.

There is a difference between believing in safety & freedom of choice. People who play lacrosse know what they're getting into. There are risks inherent in all contact sports - but no way should they be cancelled.

A school near me banned running during recess. That's not the direction I'd like to see the country going in.
I agree. There is also a difference between informed consent and coercion. However, you still don't split hairs when it comes to safety.

No it doesn't work that way. If you have gone through the semester as a pledge they aren't going to kick you out at the end unless there is a serious fvck up of some sort. I've not heard of someone going through a semester and hell week and then being told they don't make it and I was in a fraternity. I'm not sure where you got the idea from that it's a regular occurrence (or even an occasional one).

If you don't want someone in your fraternity you don't offer them a bid. If you offer a bid to someone who you later decide you don't want you kick them out during the semester, you don't wait until the end.
Dude, you're naive. That happens all the time.

I'm not saying that's the cause for obesity in this country but it surely doesn't help it. If a kid is sitting still for an hour in the classroom they need to go run off steam at recess or P.E. That's what children (young kids) do. That's just crazy.

It drives me crazy, and I couldn't believe it when they banned running.

If the goal of life was to just stay alive, we could mandate that everyone stay in a plastic bubble & be fed healthy nutrients intravenously.

And again, what does that have to do with the price of fish. You keep missing the point. These people coerced underage people to drink until they got sick. They damned well could have seriously hurt some of them. Like I said earlier. Had I done that to one of your 18 year old kids you'd have my ass arrested.

No I would not have you arrested Mott. If you did something that killed my kid that would be a different story. We are talking about kids who threw up. I wouldn't try to have a 20 year old kid arrested because my kid got drunk and threw up.

Pretty sad though. Beginning of Freshman year, guys were friendly, normal. Then they went thru all the hazing and hell week and competing for fraternities - and watching that crap was unbelievable. Make me carry a brick? make me scrub a floor with a toothbrush? I'd be so out of there. So then they get in and they change - less friendly, stuck up, all frat-boyish. (Oh, yeah, a group of you all deciding to break up with your g/fs at the same time for no reason - oh that's really mature behavior for juniors. Nope, wasn't me, I didn't date frat boys; I was too smart for them I guess.). Then senior year - they suddenly realize there is life without frats after college and they got all friendly again.

Strange.

Pretty sad though. Beginning of Freshman year, guys were friendly, normal. Then they went thru all the hazing and hell week and competing for fraternities - and watching that crap was unbelievable. Make me carry a brick? make me scrub a floor with a toothbrush? I'd be so out of there. So then they get in and they change - less friendly, stuck up, all frat-boyish. (Oh, yeah, a group of you all deciding to break up with your g/fs at the same time for no reason - oh that's really mature behavior for juniors. Nope, wasn't me, I didn't date frat boys; I was too smart for them I guess.). Then senior year - they suddenly realize there is life without frats after college and they got all friendly again.

Strange.

We had to scrub the bathroom floor once with a toothbrush. Haha, that sucked. I've heard pledging described as the most fun you never want to have again. Some of the stuff sucks when you go through it but when you look back it is great memories and some of it was even fun at the time.

Now groups of people breaking up with their girlfriends I've not heard of and sounds pretty dumb. Not sure why anyone would do that.

Back