Costs tax payers $300 billion to raise minimum wage...thank you REPUBLICANS

Hahhah, dems can't give the little guy a wage hike. But they sure as hell can get themselves a 35,000 raise. LOL yeah they have princible that shoots your Paris hilton whinne down the drain

They are such hypocrites. It's funny to see the idiots here defending this. They really don't care about the poor, they just have an irrational envy of the rich.

Desh, your boys voted for a $35,000 year raise more than the average salary of the poor guy you love to fight for. So why couldn't the give the tax cut to get the min wage increased if they could vote themselves such an assinine raise?

Topspin said:
Desh, your boys voted for a $35,000 year raise more than the average salary of the poor guy you love to fight for. So why couldn't the give the tax cut to get the min wage increased if they could vote themselves such an assinine raise?
a handful of Democrats voted for their raises but not the majority of Democrats as was implied.

And the Democrats WILL PASS the minimum wage come November, ON ITS OWN, and without it costing the American tax payer $300 billion in less revenues to pay for this war and the future wars on the horizon due to this administration's policies, and for the medicare pill bill costs of the looming baby boomers and for securing Social Security and for paying our $350 BILLION a year interest payment on our National Dept aproaching $10-11 TRILLION with this Republican President and Congress....Which is DOUBLE our entire history of president's national debts acrued...for our 200 year history it added up to $5.4 trillion.... before it was handed over to bush...

They are spending like there is NO TOMORROW....we can't let them have this tax cut for the wealthiest and also for their biggest campaign donors because it will continue to tell Congress that they can spend, spend, spend via borrowing and give their tax cuts to their contributors too...
have their cake and eat it too....

and this is a wrong message to continue to send to this Congress....imho.

toby2 said:
The goverment should not dictate what a business pays its employees. But the min wage is just a feel good thing anyway. Only fools, children and slackers earn min wage. If you work hard, show up on time, do your job you will make much more than min wage.

Didn't you say that you are on welfare toby?

care4 I sure as shit hope you are right and they pass a $10hr min wage in Nov without a giveaway to the rich which would mean they are in power. Right now they aren't and the only reason the cons offered it up was to get their beloved tax cut which doen's affect the life of a min wage earner. Just affect turbo-libs who are rich haters.
Be real about the raises, dems have never blocked a congressional pay raise. Both parties are guilty of screwing us on that one. Dems could have filibustered. $35,000 is more than a regular Joe makes in a year. And Nancy Pelosi has the nerve to talk about corp america.

One of the things I noted when I worked for minimum wage at McDonald's, was that very few people actually really made minimum wage. (Small) Raises came quickly within months and this obviously made it clear that any company can and will pay more than minimum wage on it's own.
The thing is that if minimum wage were to go away, most businesses couldn't pay anything less. If McDonald's decided to all of a sudden pay a dollar less per hour, than employess would quit and work at Subway for example. There are always plenty of low wage jobs at any time in America in the last 20 years. Thus businesses are bound by a free labor market to pay what they have to, to keep a staff, which is why most pay more than minimum wage anyway.

The other thing to note is wages are expenses that are included in anything a business sells. Less wages even if they did exist would equal lower cost of living. For extreme areas where there are not even many low-wage jobs available (very rare), would probably lower wages slightly but at the same time unemployment would be non-existant as the business can afford to hire more.
http://www.cato.org/dailys/10-28-99.html
http://www.free-market.net/spotlight/regulation/in-depth/

Check it out, even the average for fast-food cooks (burger flippers) pays well above minimum wage:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P78253.asp

England had no minimum wage for years, then Blair put one in even though their was no cry for it, just because it made Labor nervous that government didn't have that control. Predicatably putting it in had no real impact, as businesses which were already paying more for employees they had to compete for.

It is a harmful regulation where jobs are scarce (as unemployment increases) and a useless regulation where they aren't (as people are paid more anyways), Either or both ways, it should go. Repeal the federal minimum wage. Petition your rep for this today.

Care4all said:
a handful of Democrats voted for their raises but not the majority of Democrats as was implied.

And the Democrats WILL PASS the minimum wage come November, ON ITS OWN, and without it costing the American tax payer $300 billion in less revenues to pay for this war and the future wars on the horizon due to this administration's policies, and for the medicare pill bill costs of the looming baby boomers and for securing Social Security and for paying our $350 BILLION a year interest payment on our National Dept aproaching $10-11 TRILLION with this Republican President and Congress....Which is DOUBLE our entire history of president's national debts acrued...for our 200 year history it added up to $5.4 trillion.... before it was handed over to bush...

They are spending like there is NO TOMORROW....we can't let them have this tax cut for the wealthiest and also for their biggest campaign donors because it will continue to tell Congress that they can spend, spend, spend via borrowing and give their tax cuts to their contributors too...
have their cake and eat it too....

and this is a wrong message to continue to send to this Congress....imho.

Well... what have the Democrats promised to cut? NOTHING
What is the Dems biggest priority? Near trillion dollar universal healthcare.

As the Repubs moved left, the Dems moved lefter....it's beyond naive to think that a party of Liberals would really spend less than whatever the Republicans were spending. It can ALWAYS get worse.

TheDanold said:
Well... what have the Democrats promised to cut? NOTHING
What is the Dems biggest priority? Near trillion dollar universal healthcare.

As the Repubs moved left, the Dems moved lefter....it's beyond naive to think that a party of Liberals would really spend less than whatever the Republicans were spending. It can ALWAYS get worse.
Adding $5-6 TRILLION, when all is said and done, via the Republican/Administration's policies... to the national Debt in just 8 years can NOT GET ANY WORSE, and never has been WORSE in our history!

There ARE NO EXCUSES to what they have done....there is no "could be WORSE".

And let me ask you this regarding healthcare...because I am really torn on this and want to understand the conservative view on this....

Why are republicans against universal healthcare, when it is a cash cow giveaway to the beloved capitalistic corporations?

Giving corporations a better chance to compete in their beloved Global Economy?

care

Care4all said:
And let me ask you this regarding healthcare...because I am really torn on this and want to understand the conservative view on this....

Why are republicans against universal healthcare, when it is a cash cow giveaway to the beloved capitalistic corporations?

Giving corporations a better chance to compete in their beloved Global Economy?

care

Because most of us realize that the easiest way to triple the cost for something is to have the Government provide it...

Centralizing health care is definitely not the best solution if you want to actually keep costs down. When you look at tax dollars as if they are your actual money you tend to disagree with most government programs. Hence the R disgust with the Pill Bill even from the first, unfortunately Congress went along...

This idea that all Rs love to have government giveaways to corporations is a myth.

Watermark said:
Care, that's misleading. The income tax is probably about 10 or 20 trillion over 10 years. I hate whenever people give out these "over 10 years" statistics to try to make people think somethings a bigger cost than it really is.

For your information "little one"(j/k u), that is how our budgets are calculated and projected in the government....these are government calculations that are procedural and mandatory.

the same occurs in business, you have a 5 or ten year plan, (at my job it was a 5 year plan) and a yearly plan on how you can get to the 5 year plan, and a monthy plan on how you can get to the yearly plan....etc.

to look at and plan just a year at a time.... IS NOT AN OPTION.....ever!

care

Damocles said:
Because most of us realize that the easiest way to triple the cost for something is to have the Government provide it...

Centralizing health care is definitely not the best solution if you want to actually keep costs down. When you look at tax dollars as if they are your actual money you tend to disagree with most government programs. Hence the R disgust with the Pill Bill even from the first, unfortunately Congress went along...

This idea that all Rs love to have government giveaways to corporations is a myth.

THIS WAS A REPUBLICAN MEDICARE PILL BILL....it was not even CLOSE to the Democratic Pill Bill....

The Republicans were NEVER against the pill bill and they got JUST WHAT THEY WANTED, and got the corporate welfare that they wanted given to their cash cow Pharma and Insurance friends....(you might have disagreed with it but not them, they wanted the votes, they wanted to "do in" the Dems by taking credit for this issue, they did it for a number of reasons, but NOT IN ANY WAY did they do it to help the citizens of our country battle their healthcare costs, because they just added trillions to our taxes due in the future.)

you still really did not answer my question on helping corporations compete in the global market place.....perhaps increasing our jobs in this country...thus taking in more revenues for the feds?

stop being intellectually dishonest on this

Care4all said:
THIS WAS A REPUBLICAN MEDICARE PILL BILL....it was not even CLOSE to the Democratic Pill Bill....
And almost every R that I know is unhappy with it. This was a "Compassionate Conservative" giveaway and is the first thing that any R will say that they are unhappy with what Bush has done, even during the last election.

The Republicans were NEVER against the pill bill and they got JUST WHAT THEY WANTED, and got the corporate welfare that they wanted given to their cash cow Pharma and Insurance friends....(you might have disagreed with it but not them, they wanted the votes, they wanted to "do in" the Dems by taking credit for this issue, they did it for a number of reasons, but NOT IN ANY WAY did they do it to help the citizens of our country battle their healthcare costs, because they just added trillions to our taxes due in the future.)

Once again, other than Congress and the "Compassionate Conservative" President I have yet to hear one R speak positively of that Pill Bill.

you still really did not answer my question on helping corporations compete in the global market place.....perhaps increasing our jobs in this country...thus taking in more revenues for the feds?

stop being intellectually dishonest on this
I am not being intellectually dishonest. I am being perfectly clear. You have to be deliberate to ignore my points to say things like, "Rs all LOVED this bill!"... No they didn't. The Rs in Congress followed the President and have been attempting to promote it as a good thing because they voted for it. Talk to the rank and file Rs, the ones that I speak about, they didn't like it, didn't want it, and are unhappy with it overall....

And I do not believe that our Corporations need the governments help to compete, they do fine without it.

Damocles said:
And almost every R that I know is unhappy with it. This was a "Compassionate Conservative" giveaway and is the first thing that any R will say that they are unhappy with what Bush has done, even during the last election.

Once again, other than Congress and the "Compassionate Conservative" President I have yet to hear one R speak positively of that Pill Bill.

I am not being intellectually dishonest. I am being perfectly clear. You have to be deliberate to ignore my points to say things like, "Rs all LOVED this bill!"... No they didn't. The Rs in Congress followed the President and have been attempting to promote it as a good thing because they voted for it. Talk to the rank and file Rs, the ones that I speak about, they didn't like it, didn't want it, and are unhappy with it overall....

And I do not believe that our Corporations need the governments help to compete, they do fine without it.

Damo, I apologize...I thought you were Dano when I first replied and he and I have been arguing over this Pill Bill and how he views it ....for a few years now....and seems like an eternity.... hahahaha!

care

thank you for your response, now I need Dano to answer those same questions I thru at you! ;)

care

Back