Diamonds

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
My lovely but lacking in common sense bride wore her wedding ring to work and lost the stone. So I'm going to be a nice guy and buy her a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy one? She would like a round or princess cut and my budget is around $2000. I'd like to get the best quality for that price range. Any suggestions?

My lovely but lacking in common sense bride wore her wedding ring to work and lost the stone. So I'm going to be a nice guy and buy her a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy one? She would like a round or princess cut and my budget is around $2000. I'd like to get the best quality for that price range. Any suggestions?

Get her a Moissanite ring, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference and it is a damn sight cheaper than diamonds. It also has a higher refractive index than a diamond.

Moissanite is a near colorless gemstone.
Most common Diamonds are classified in this range.

Moissanite ranks 9.25 on the Mohs Hardness scale making it the second hardest gem.
Diamond ranks 10 making it the hardest gem.

Moissanite possess more fire or dispersion (the flashes) at .104
Diamond rates considerably lower at .044

Moissanite also has a higher refractive index or brilliance (the sparkle) at 2.65
Diamond comes in at 2.42

Moissanite is only available as a lab-created stone as its natural state is not found on Earth (it was discovered in a meteorite).
Diamond is readily available in its natural state and there are now companies creating lab-created diamond see Apollo, Gemesis, Takara or even Life Gem.
Moissanite costs a fraction of its diamond equivalent.

Diamonds are sold to us as an "investment", but the average consumer isn't purchasing investment grade stones and very few jewelers will buy them back at full price unless you "upgrade" with a more expensive stone.

One company Charles and Colvard holds the patent for jewelry grade moissanite.
One company has been known for controlling the diamond market and its prices.

Moissanites are hand cut with optical properties that best show off the stone.
Diamonds are hand cut with optical properties that best show off the stone.

http://www.squidoo.com/moissanitevsdiamond

Last edited:
Get her a Moissanite ring, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference and it is a damn sight cheaper than diamonds. It also has a higher refractive index than a diamond.

Moissanite is a near colorless gemstone.
Most common Diamonds are classified in this range.

Moissanite ranks 9.25 on the Mohs Hardness scale making it the second hardest gem.
Diamond ranks 10 making it the hardest gem.

Moissanite possess more fire or dispersion (the flashes) at .104
Diamond rates considerably lower at .044

Moissanite also has a higher refractive index or brilliance (the sparkle) at 2.65
Diamond comes in at 2.42

Moissanite is only available as a lab-created stone as its natural state is not found on Earth (it was discovered in a meteorite).
Diamond is readily available in its natural state and there are now companies creating lab-created diamond see Apollo, Gemesis, Takara or even Life Gem.
Moissanite costs a fraction of its diamond equivalent.

Diamonds are sold to us as an "investment", but the average consumer isn't purchasing investment grade stones and very few jewelers will buy them back at full price unless you "upgrade" with a more expensive stone.

One company Charles and Colvard holds the patent for jewelry grade moissanite.
One company has been known for controlling the diamond market and its prices.

Moissanites are hand cut with optical properties that best show off the stone.
Diamonds are hand cut with optical properties that best show off the stone.

http://www.squidoo.com/moissanitevsdiamond
Good lord...if my wife know I bought her amourphous silicon carbide instead of a diamond I'd be toast!!

The MOH's scale. I haven't heard that one in a long time. I hope you know that on an absolute scale, like Vickers or Knoop hardness, that a diamond is still orders of magnitude harder than a 9 MOH's. BTW, There's no such thing as a 9.25 on the MOH'S scale. If the gem scratchs a 9 stone but not a diamond then it's a 9 MOH's.

Good lord...if my wife know I bought her amourphous silicon carbide instead of a diamond I'd be toast!!

The MOH's scale. I haven't heard that one in a long time. I hope you know that on an absolute scale, like Vickers or Knoop hardness, that a diamond is still orders of magnitude harder than a 9 MOH's. BTW, There's no such thing as a 9.25 on the MOH'S scale. If the gem scratchs a 9 stone but not a diamond then it's a 9 MOH's.

I bought my wife a moissanite ring some years ago so that she could show off to her Thai mates. You can get a 2 carat ring for around $1500, as long as the damn thing can cut glass who would know different? By the way, the Mohs Scale is a finer granularity scale than you are saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

http://www.amazon.co.uk/18ct-Carat-...r_1_5?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1339794149&sr=1-5

Last edited:

I'd suggest making sure you have the stone correctly set. Most people wear their rings to work without losing the stone.

Surely most women wear the wedding ring to work and leave the engagement ring, with the big rock, at home.

Almost all of them are bound together. Most wear the stone to work. My wife has worn hers for as long as we've been married. We take it in every two years or so for checks, but the stone remains in the ring.

I designed the "rings" to be bound together after the marriage, the two make a whole...

I don't know anybody who doesn't wear their ring.

I bought my wife a moissanite ring some years ago so that she could show off to her Thai mates. You can get a 2 carat ring for around $1500, as long as the damn thing can cut glass who would know different?...

I've misjudged Tom. He has plenty of bottle, apparently.

Almost all of them are bound together. Most wear the stone to work. My wife has worn hers for as long as we've been married. We take it in every two years or so for checks, but the stone remains in the ring.

I designed the "rings" to be bound together after the marriage, the two make a whole...

I don't know anybody who doesn't wear their ring.

We do things differently over here, I think. Of course now I'm going to have to look at married women's hands to check it out!

if one got a fake, you could take it into a jeweler and they would be able to tell right? Because don't believe most women wouldn't be above doing that O_O. I would be paranoid as fuck if I didn't get a diamond. lol.

if one got a fake, you could take it into a jeweler and they would be able to tell right? Because don't believe most women wouldn't be above doing that O_O. I would be paranoid as fuck if I didn't get a diamond. lol.

When we got married many moons ago I bought her a 1/2 carat ring in Bangkok, but she always wanted a 2 carat ring so much later on I suggested that we buy a moissanite ring as well. I wouldn't go behind her back, I'm not that brave! I believe the whole damn thing is a conspiracy by De Beers to brainwash women into insisting on diamonds, the poor dears are overly impressed by bauble and trinkets. I wonder how many even stop to consider whether they are blood diamonds?

Last edited:

Possibly, if they have an instrument that tests the thermal and electrical conductivity of a stone to determine if it is genuine or not. Also moissanite tends not to have inclusions unlike all but the most expensive diamonds.

What you did is different though. If you discuss it with her and she decides that a moissanite ring is good, that's one thing. However, really, even bringing the topic up could be a bad idea. Especially if you are talking about a replacement ring, which will be your only ring, rather than something awesome to show off and impress others with.

We do things differently over here, I think. Of course now I'm going to have to look at married women's hands to check it out!

Which bits of married women have you been looking at previously?

What you did is different though. If you discuss it with her and she decides that a moissanite ring is good, that's one thing. However, really, even bringing the topic up could be a bad idea. Especially if you are talking about a replacement ring, which will be your only ring, rather than something awesome to show off and impress others with.

Asian women are pretty superficial when it comes to baubles, it's all about the bling. It is hardly likely that her mates will rip it off her finger and examine it with a jeweller's loupe.

After all that, nobody actually answered your question.

Buy the stone separate, obviously you will here, but never buy a ring with the stone already in it they use the settings to hide flaws and you will buy inferior gem stones.

I designed the ring my wife wears myself, I examined all the stones that were to go into it.

Size is not your only consideration, clarity, cut, and inclusions are also something you should pay attention to. It isn't rocket science, look for a clear stone with the fewest possible inclusions that you can afford. You can also simply take the lady along and let her decide exactly what she wants within your budget.

That's a very insightful post, WM. I'm impressed. You'll make some woman a fine husband, someday. :good4u:

Back