Diamonds

I have tons of experience in these matters.

The two you're responding to have this as their motto: :D

images

We do things differently over here, I think. Of course now I'm going to have to look at married women's hands to check it out!
Uhhh I would take Damos comments as annecdotal. Most married women I know, unless their paper shufflers who fly a desk, do as you described and in a manufacturing or industrial setting your prohibited from wearing rings for safety reasons. Though giving the rings semi-annual checkups does seem like sound advice.

Good lord...if my wife know I bought her amourphous silicon carbide instead of a diamond I'd be toast!!

The MOH's scale. I haven't heard that one in a long time. I hope you know that on an absolute scale, like Vickers or Knoop hardness, that a diamond is still orders of magnitude harder than a 9 MOH's. BTW, There's no such thing as a 9.25 on the MOH'S scale. If the gem scratchs a 9 stone but not a diamond then it's a 9 MOH's.

Nobody gives a damn about Vickers or Knoops microhardness. Brinell or bust motherfucker.

Asian women are pretty superficial when it comes to baubles, it's all about the bling. It is hardly likely that her mates will rip it off her finger and examine it with a jeweller's loupe.
Yup. You're right there. When I took her out previously she wanted the biggest diamond she could get for our budget while I tried to convincer her to get the most perfect diamond within our budget regardless of size. I half carat perfect diamond is spectacularly more brilliant than 1.0 carat N SI2 diamond and you don't need a loupe to see the difference you only need to place it under a bright white or flourescent light source. But you're right Tom. She cares more about the size of the bling than anything.

Buy the stone separate, obviously you will here, but never buy a ring with the stone already in it they use the settings to hide flaws and you will buy inferior gem stones.

I designed the ring my wife wears myself, I examined all the stones that were to go into it.

Size is not your only consideration, clarity, cut, and inclusions are also something you should pay attention to. It isn't rocket science, look for a clear stone with the fewest possible inclusions that you can afford. You can also simply take the lady along and let her decide exactly what she wants within your budget.
I've been trying to convince my wife of that. She's interested in new bridal set and I think that's just dumb for the reasons you stated.

What you did is different though. If you discuss it with her and she decides that a moissanite ring is good, that's one thing. However, really, even bringing the topic up could be a bad idea. Especially if you are talking about a replacement ring, which will be your only ring, rather than something awesome to show off and impress others with.

Mott will confirm that Asian women are more concerned about the size of a gem than how brilliant or flawless it is.

Yup. You're right there. When I took her out previously she wanted the biggest diamond she could get for our budget while I tried to convincer her to get the most perfect diamond within our budget regardless of size. I half carat perfect diamond is spectacularly more brilliant than 1.0 carat N SI2 diamond and you don't need a loupe to see the difference you only need to place it under a bright white or flourescent light source. But you're right Tom. She cares more about the size of the bling than anything.

I want to talk to your wife, have her sign in.

You spent HOW MUCH on your new, top of the line, custom-finished bicycle that's not going to last forever, and you think 1/3 of that for a diamond is, well, being generous?

I want to talk to your wife, have her sign in.

You spent HOW MUCH on your new, top of the line, custom-finished bicycle that's not going to last forever, and you think 1/3 of that for a diamond is, well, being generous?

Considering that the bike has a use other than sitting around doing nothing, yes, that's fairly generous.

Get her a good quality, conflict-free diamond - if that doesn't impress her, she deserves a fake.

Get her a good quality, conflict-free diamond - if that doesn't impress her, she deserves a fake.

Diamonds are not rare. Their release is governed by de Beers etc. Fossilised dinosaur shit is rare.
Diamonds are not particularly beautiful. We are told they are beautiful by Madison Avenue. A tree is beautiful. A waterfall splashing between foxgloves and hazel and glinting in the morning sun is beautiful.
So if you love your wife give her a part of the sparkling waterfalls of Derbyshire, the trees of an ancient forest, the chalk downs of Sussex, a poem by Keats probably not a piece of dinosaur shit.
To give your wife a diamond is telling her that you are similar in one important way. You both believe the admans phoney promises.

Diamonds are not rare. Their release is governed by de Beers etc. Fossilised dinosaur shit is rare.
Diamonds are not particularly beautiful. We are told they are beautiful by Madison Avenue. A tree is beautiful. A waterfall splashing between foxgloves and hazel and glinting in the morning sun is beautiful.
So if you love your wife give her a part of the sparkling waterfalls of Derbyshire, the trees of an ancient forest, the chalk downs of Sussex, a poem by Keats probably not a piece of dinosaur shit.
To give your wife a diamond is telling her that you are similar in one important way. You both believe the admans phoney promises.

Back