Did Christianity inhibit intellectual progress?

Which still isn't "the death of intellectualism"... Again, pretending that Ford is killing the auto industry because some car someone bought sucked doesn't pass muster any more than this does. Students aren't manufactured, and some idiot doing bad things doesn't stop folks believing they are elite intellectuals after they participate in the system that the church actually created.

The West had a glorious run, and there is a great argument that there is no West without Christianity, which is why the West is now circling the drain as Christianity rapidly dies as well. People are so hungry for a replacement that they convert in mass to the WOKE Religion and its yearning for UTOPIA.

Yes, without a doubt. Literacy was limited to a few, of course it did. You even had to ask this?

Yes, without a doubt. Literacy was limited to a few, of course it did. You even had to ask this?

The answer is no. How did Christianity inhibit intellectual progress?

The answer is no. How did Christianity inhibit intellectual progress?

By limiting access to education. I have to warn you I can talk about this subject all day long. The Church was a taxation and racketeering organization for 1000 years. Europe was worse off because of the Church. And the sooner the Church dies the better off we'll all be.

By limiting access to education. I have to warn you I can talk about this subject all day long. The Church was a taxation and racketeering organization for 1000 years. Europe was worse off because of the Church. And the sooner the Church dies the better off we'll all be.

If the church dies, this country will become completely immoral. Why must the haters condemn those who help the poor and needy? Who handed out millions of pounds of food and necessities during the Chinese Disease shutdowns?

If the church dies, this country will become completely immoral. Why must the haters condemn those who help the poor and needy? Who handed out millions of pounds of food and necessities during the Chinese Disease shutdowns?

Morality isn't dependant upon having a local priest...it's baked into all of us from birth. The Church means nothing.

Morality isn't dependant upon having a local priest...it's baked into all of us from birth. The Church means nothing.

If it's baked into all of us from birth, why does it look like many on the left have abandoned it?

Christianity, in its intellectual iterations, didn’t replace Greek thought, Mr. Freeman argued in that earlier book, but adopted one part of it: that of Plato rather than Aristotle. Western thought consequently became inward, rational, deductive and “authoritarian,”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-re...n2l3tudgyt8&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

inward, rational, and deductive are not necessarily authoritarian.

there are rational arguments for morality.

very rational indeed.

we can get into it if you disagree.

Literacy was limited globally, not just in Europe.

A thousand years ago the printing press did not exist, and books were exceedingly rare and extremely expensive to produce.

Why would most children in France, China, and India have been trained to read when books barely existed at all?

If the church dies, this country will become completely immoral?

Preposterous.

For one thing, christians aren't the only religion in this country.

Secondly, after two thousand years the ethics of Judeo-Christianty have seeped into the public conciousness so even secular people are infused with religious ethics, even if they have stripped it of religious language and context.

Preposterous.

For one thing, christians aren't the only religion in this country.

Secondly, after two thousand years the ethics of Judeo-Christianty have seeped into the public conciousness so even secular people are infused with religious ethics, even if they have stripped it of religious language and context.

For most of our history, we were predominantly a Christian nation. If your goal to completely remove it is achieved, rest assured, this country will fall.

The United States was the most literate nation on the planet in the 19th century, and that is largely because in the Protestant tradition of a priesthood of all believers, people were expected to be able to read their bibles.

For most of our history, we were predominantly a Christian nation. If your goal to completely remove it is achieved, rest assured, this country will fall.

Religion and spirituality aren't going anywhere, though they will continue to evolve as they have done for thousands of years.

I believe the fraction of the population who have a strictly materialistic and reductionist belief about reality are a tiny fraction of the population and always will be.

Back