Differential equations test tommorrow

A differential equation is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics"]mathematical[/ame] [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equation"]equation[/ame] for an unknown function of one or several variables that relates the values of the function itself and its [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative"]derivatives[/ame] of various orders.

Ok, I'm a math retard, what is a differential equation?
Calculus. Calculus is divided into two disciplines based to types of equations, Differential and Integral. Differential equations are concerned with the study of how functions change when their inputs change. The primary object of study in differential calculus is the derivative. Integral calculus is concerned with the determination of integrals and their application to the solution of differential equations, the determination of areas and volumes, etc.

In college you start your math sequence with Algebra you study equations, such as, binomial, polynomial, quadratics and functions. When you have a sound understanding of equations and functions you go to the next sequence which is calculus or statistics. Unless you're going to be a physicist, engineer or management scientist there isn't a whole lot of use for calculus in the real world outside of those disciplines. Many college students choose to study statistics instead, if given a choice.

It's also used as a flunk out course at many State Universities with high enrollments. So if Watermark flunks this he'll probably be serving French Fries and Burgers for the rest of his life.

Calculus is also considered the langauge of Engineers. If you don't have an intuitive grasp for calculus, you'll probably never make it as an engineer.

I want to kill myself.

Have you studied this all along? I learned the hard way that calculus is a lot like music; you have to practice it regularly. Simply understanding the principles isn't enough because they make you show your work. No doing the problems in your head, even though your answer is correct!

So study!

We called that course "Difficult Equations". I got a BC in it. No wonder you're in such a foul mood lately.

Have you studied this all along? I learned the hard way that calculus is a lot like music; you have to practice it regularly. Simply understanding the principles isn't enough because they make you show your work. No doing the problems in your head, even though your answer is correct!

So study!
You guys are way ahead of me. My math education ended with two 200 level stats classes and a 300 level management science class.

So study!

It would be pointless to even attempt to do this stuff in your head. We got over that in College Algebra. Doing a DE problem can take pages and pages of work.

Yep.

I'm planning on studying for the next six hours; that should be good enough.

As I mentioned, I hope this isn't the first time you've sat down to study this. For our first exam my good friend and I sat down for several hours and crammed. We learned that you just can't get away with that in Cal or DE. Oddly, I found Integral much easier. I'd never, ever had to study math before; it was a well deserved kick in the rear and changed my approach to it forever.

Nope, I've got about 2/3 of the study guide already done. Gonna finish up the rest of it and then work the entire thing out three or four times.

Back