Digital Dilema

Taichiliberal

Shaken, not stirred!
Okay, switching to digital broadcasting was suppose to be an "upgrade", right?

Well, since the switch (which included buying an upgraded antenna), keep a picture is a constant crap shoot. Add to this that the sound quality is constantly going out....which is real interesting should we have an emergency broadcast and a whole lot of other people are having the same problems as I am.

Unless you are close to the broadcast tower reception sucks.

I begin to think this was engineered by the satellite tv companies.

Well, since the switch (which included buying an upgraded antenna), keep a picture is a constant crap shoot. Add to this that the sound quality is constantly going out....which is real interesting should we have an emergency broadcast and a whole lot of other people are having the same problems as I am.
Get cable and welcome to the 20th. Some day you might want to go all the way into the new century.

Seriously, it would be a massive waste of the electromagnetic spectrum (which would cost society billions, not including wasted future profits from that spectrum) to have both analog and digital channels up at the same time. It was either go to digital or stay analog forever (which would, of course, make over-air channels even more of a dinosaur than they already are and would lead to a real victory for cable operators when usage dwindled to the level that congress decided to sell them off completely in ten years or so). It had to happen some time.

Umm hello! Not everyone has cable available.
You too Damo.
Get satellite and stop crying, Taichiliberal strikes me as somebody who thinks that cities are the best things that life has to offer. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Get satellite and stop crying, Taichiliberal strikes me as somebody who thinks that cities are the best things that life has to offer. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

I have satellite, but like some shows on the local channels which are not on satellite.
But there are those around me who cannot afford satellite and now their TV sux.

I have satellite, but like some shows on the local channels which are not on satellite.
But there are those around me who cannot afford satellite and now their TV sux.
What satellite do you have that doesn't carry the local channels? All of our local channels are carried on satellite. Get Dish, you'll get yours too. It's too bad their TV sucks, maybe they'll enjoy reading books now. They've had years and years of warning, it gets silly when it comes right down to it. They can use the free sucky option or they can pay more for something better, it's their option.

What satellite do you have that doesn't carry the local channels? All of our local channels are carried on satellite. Get Dish, you'll get yours too. It's too bad their TV sucks, maybe they'll enjoy reading books now. They've had years and years of warning, it gets silly when it comes right down to it. They can use the free sucky option or they can pay more for something better, it's their option.

All of my local channels are not on either direct or Dish.
And none of them have the additional digital channels that were added with digital.

Digital broadcast had so much promise, but was such a dissapointment.

All of my local channels are not on either direct or Dish.
And none of them have the additional digital channels that were added with digital.

Digital broadcast had so much promise, but was such a dissapointment.
If you have satellite you have digital TV, it is 100% digital it has been since inception.

You must have a crappy converter box, or you were too stupid to reprogram your TV for the new channels. When I got mine I hooked it up, reprogrammed and I got more stations, all at much better quality. And I used my old antenna, a $30 indoor thing sold by radio shack. *shrug*

Why the fuck did the Feds have to regulate this? Was this an "energy saving" move? Anyway, I watched a lot of good TV over the years at my uncle's, and he just had an antenna...

:tv:

Seriously, it would be a massive waste of the electromagnetic spectrum (which would cost society billions, not including wasted future profits from that spectrum) to have both analog and digital channels up at the same time. It was either go to digital or stay analog forever (which would, of course, make over-air channels even more of a dinosaur than they already are and would lead to a real victory for cable operators when usage dwindled to the level that congress decided to sell them off completely in ten years or so). It had to happen some time.

I thought you hated capitalism?

Back