Disaster in Columbus: Let the bodies hit the floor

tinfoil

Banned
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The events I'm about to explain are true and verifiable by photos on my phone and the metadata.

I have a contract in the Bexley area of Columbus. I am contracting with a re-modelling contractor so I have not met the clients in person and they are in FL for the winter. The home is very old and poorly constructed with lots of loose floor boards and undulating floors. Repairs were made and resanding took place after new areas were installed.
Sanding began and immediately I stained some spots for samples and tired to elicit an affirmative answer for the choice. It was not possible to match the condition of the old floors with any known products. The floors were sanded some 30+ years ago by the looks of the intense chatter marks (caused by drum paper instead of belt sanders). The stain was most likely Jacobean that was painted on as dark as possible. (Gee, I wonder why it peeled off everywhere?) The stain color was like a dark brown with a yellow tint on top. There's no stain to match 30 years of aging. I prepared the floors, some 1600 sqft and and set of stairs with open ends and ballisters. An entire day's worth of hand scraping to prepare the nosings alone. I crushed it! Stained the place in 4 hours by myself (and half a cartridge of lemon berry). The contractor had sent the client photos of the sample. It had been 5 days since they had seen the color. All of a sudden the client decides they don't want to see any grain of the wood. WTF? We could have just painted the fucking thing. Some people are assholes. The contractor is bummed because his customers made him look bad. He wants to pay me for the work, but I don't want to punish him for their fickleness. He's a good customer and I even hired him to put new windows in my house, so I don't want to alienate him. I performed 95% of the work involved in the contract. The final coats are trivial compared to sanding and staining. It sucks, but I'll have to work a miracle with stain and poly to darken this floor or resand it again and paint the stain on like it's of no consequence whether the polyurethane adheres to the wood or a layer of stain. It'll peel off inside of 5 years if the house gets wild humidity swings. So, fuck! I get paid and now there's a rift between a good customer, or I bend over and help him not feel the pain? For context, he gives me about 15K in work a year. The contract for sanding was like 5500. It's a no brainer. I'm gonna end up resanding and I'm gonna cut the contractor a deal so his project isn't unprofitable. I did everything right except be a dick about the color choice. I should have demanded the client input before staining, but I got 4 weeks of work lined up and I needed to get the stain on to seal in a weeks worth of work before some lunkhead drags a tool box across my beautiful work. FUCK! I knew it when I was staining it. I fucking knew it. The whole 4 hours I was thinking the client was gonna pull a douche move. Sure enough. The fucking asshole doesn't want to see the grain of the wood. LOL just makes me weep. I work very hard to ensure the inherent beauty of the wood shows up. I could have spent half the time sanding if I was going to hide the grain by painting stain on.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The events I'm about to explain are true and verifiable by photos on my phone and the metadata.

I have a contract in the Bexley area of Columbus. I am contracting with a re-modelling contractor so I have not met the clients in person and they are in FL for the winter. The home is very old and poorly constructed with lots of loose floor boards and undulating floors. Repairs were made and resanding took place after new areas were installed.
Sanding began and immediately I stained some spots for samples and tired to elicit an affirmative answer for the choice. It was not possible to match the condition of the old floors with any known products. The floors were sanded some 30+ years ago by the looks of the intense chatter marks (caused by drum paper instead of belt sanders). The stain was most likely Jacobean that was painted on as dark as possible. (Gee, I wonder why it peeled off everywhere?) The stain color was like a dark brown with a yellow tint on top. There's no stain to match 30 years of aging. I prepared the floors, some 1600 sqft and and set of stairs with open ends and ballisters. An entire day's worth of hand scraping to prepare the nosings alone. I crushed it! Stained the place in 4 hours by myself (and half a cartridge of lemon berry). The contractor had sent the client photos of the sample. It had been 5 days since they had seen the color. All of a sudden the client decides they don't want to see any grain of the wood. WTF? We could have just painted the fucking thing. Some people are assholes. The contractor is bummed because his customers made him look bad. He wants to pay me for the work, but I don't want to punish him for their fickleness. He's a good customer and I even hired him to put new windows in my house, so I don't want to alienate him. I performed 95% of the work involved in the contract. The final coats are trivial compared to sanding and staining. It sucks, but I'll have to work a miracle with stain and poly to darken this floor or resand it again and paint the stain on like it's of no consequence whether the polyurethane adheres to the wood or a layer of stain. It'll peel off inside of 5 years if the house gets wild humidity swings. So, fuck! I get paid and now there's a rift between a good customer, or I bend over and help him not feel the pain? For context, he gives me about 15K in work a year. The contract for sanding was like 5500. It's a no brainer. I'm gonna end up resanding and I'm gonna cut the contractor a deal so his project isn't unprofitable. I did everything right except be a dick about the color choice. I should have demanded the client input before staining, but I got 4 weeks of work lined up and I needed to get the stain on to seal in a weeks worth of work before some lunkhead drags a tool box across my beautiful work. FUCK! I knew it when I was staining it. I fucking knew it. The whole 4 hours I was thinking the client was gonna pull a douche move. Sure enough. The fucking asshole doesn't want to see the grain of the wood. LOL just makes me weep. I work very hard to ensure the inherent beauty of the wood shows up. I could have spent half the time sanding if I was going to hide the grain by painting stain on.

Was this one of your wet dreams? Maybe your handlers are running out of stuff for you to post?

No good deed goes unpunished. You will be repaid in spades down the road. I know when I get someone who does good work I don’t mind paying extra. But yeah business is business. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this contractor doesn’t send more business your way in the future.

Ruh roh, someone used the sacred name of the suburb where one of our frequent-flyer tattletales here lives. Someone gonna get in t-r-o-u-b-l-e. lol

I would hate to do rehab for someone else esp. if they are not on-site to verify things with. We watch HGTV rehab shows a lot; one that is set in Chicago seems to run into your issue a lot. They buy high-end older homes in need of extensive renovation in pricey neighborhoods. The two episodes I saw so far, they pre-sold the houses, poured hundreds of thousands into totally rehabbing them, then at the end were still haggling with the buyers who didn't want this and didn't want that and didn't want to pay for it either.

No good deed goes unpunished. You will be repaid in spades down the road. I know when I get someone who does good work I don’t mind paying extra. But yeah business is business. Just chalk it up to lesson learned.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this contractor doesn’t send more business your way in the future.

Yeah, he's already sent new customers my way all the time. He's a highly valued customer to me and he will have me to give him the lowest possible price to fix this mess.

LOL I'll use the phrase a fellow floor guy once used when we encountered the same situation: You have a second chance to do a perfect job.

Ruh roh, someone used the sacred name of the suburb where one of our frequent-flyer tattletales here lives. Someone gonna get in t-r-o-u-b-l-e. lol

I would hate to do rehab for someone else esp. if they are not on-site to verify things with. We watch HGTV rehab shows a lot; one that is set in Chicago seems to run into your issue a lot. They buy high-end older homes in need of extensive renovation in pricey neighborhoods. The two episodes I saw so far, they pre-sold the houses, poured hundreds of thousands into totally rehabbing them, then at the end were still haggling with the buyers who didn't want this and didn't want that and didn't want to pay for it either.

LOL I'm normally very wary of such situations and I price them to go away. Usually I triple the price just to be sure they seek someone else. If they accept the bid, I get half up front and expect to get burned on the rest. LOL if you end up getting paid, it's so fucking sweet.

Do you have everything in writing?

Yes you are an asshole, and one full of bull shit as well

Wow, your retort was so predictable. You are pretty sub-par at what you're attempting here. Isn't there a MAGA hat somewhere that needs your stern rebuke? You're wasting your talents on a marginally conservative individual. I'll smoke a bong hit and laugh about your feeble effort here.

Do you have everything in writing?

LOL

I learned a while ago when a lien got dismissed that it doesn't mean shit. I take a chance on every contract. I accept this risk without complaint. I had tried the contract route. Lot of wasted work. If you don't trust your customer, don't do the work. I'm a microbusiness, so this strategy can not be applied to other situations

Wow, your retort was so predictable. You are pretty sub-par at what you're attempting here. Isn't there a MAGA hat somewhere that needs your stern rebuke? You're wasting your talents on a marginally conservative individual. I'll smoke a bong hit and laugh about your feeble effort here.

If you have a signed Contract to do the Work, and you've done the Work, you're owed the agreed upon Money. If they want to CHANGE their minds, that's fine. Type up a 'Change Order' along with the price, present that. When it's signed, proceed with the NEW Work Order.

LOL

I learned a while ago when a lien got dismissed that it doesn't mean shit. I take a chance on every contract. I accept this risk without complaint. I had tried the contract route. Lot of wasted work. If you don't trust your customer, don't do the work. I'm a microbusiness, so this strategy can not be applied to other situations

You can put a 'Workmans Lien' on their Property. They can't sell it until you get PAID first.

You can put a 'Workmans Lien' on their Property. They can't sell it until you get PAID first.

Dude, I just told you I had a mechanics lien dismissed in bankruptcy court ... 5 months after I did the work. Don't talk to me about about liens. They got to keep their home. I got a check six months later for $250 and a letter explaining I could contest the settlement. LOL They had owed me $2500

The law doesn't work like we think it would. This was in Oregon. Portland. The house was in the St Johns area. The judge may have factored the low income status of the area into the decision, but this was a white hipster dude and it was blatantly unfair that they got to include recent renovations in their bid to save their home. It was infuriating after having spent 10K a year to be a legal business entity just for the solepurpose of being ale to file a lein.

Dude, I just told you I had a mechanics lien dismissed in bankruptcy court ... 5 months after I did the work. Don't talk to me about about liens. They got to keep their home. I got a check six months later for $250 and a letter explaining I could contest the settlement. LOL They had owed me $2500

The law doesn't work like we think it would. This was in Oregon. Portland. The house was in the St Johns area. The judge may have factored the low income status of the area into the decision, but this was a white hipster dude and it was blatantly unfair that they got to include recent renovations in their bid to save their home. It was infuriating after having spent 10K a year to be a legal business entity just for the solepurpose of being ale to file a lein.

OK.

LOL I'm normally very wary of such situations and I price them to go away. Usually I triple the price just to be sure they seek someone else. If they accept the bid, I get half up front and expect to get burned on the rest. LOL if you end up getting paid, it's so fucking sweet.

Is this what you do for your career, or more of a sideline biz? I do really love those rehab shows. They make it look very tempting. They always leave out the hard work, failures, mishaps, dirt, grime, bugs, rats, spiders, lead, asbestos, bitchy neighbors, annoying city inspectors, etc. Just 20 mins and <poof!> instant modernized beautiful home. If only, eh?

Lol, that's exactly what I do.

Is this what you do for your career, or more of a sideline biz? I do really love those rehab shows. They make it look very tempting. They always leave out the hard work, failures, mishaps, dirt, grime, bugs, rats, spiders, lead, asbestos, bitchy neighbors, annoying city inspectors, etc. Just 20 mins and <poof!> instant modernized beautiful home. If only, eh?

Yes. Full time self employed wood floor contractor. I have no employees and only I do the work. I can afford to be picky with whom I contract and I use the negative response to gauge my price in the market. Using the go-away-price-technique I was able to find a higher threshold my customers were ready to pay. I had been priced at about $2.25/sqft for resanding and finishing. I encountered some projects I really didn't want to deal with so I priced them at nearly $4/sqft and I landed both of them. I increased my price to $4 in the future. LOL Except my loyal contractors. They only saw a $.50 increase

LOL

Same here, I describe the scope of the work, and exactly what is included, in my estimates, and ask that they sign and return, but I'm not a total stickler if they don't. I use this canned line in small print at the bottom, "unforeseen jobsite conditions are not included, and may incur additional charges".

Back