APP - Do we need "morality"?

History's main value is in its breadth. One or two factoids do not paint a picture. But since you are after a gotcha, ask yourself what happened to Rome when it abandoned morality.

What "morality" do you think the Romans abandoned, and why do you suppose the end of their Empire was due to a purported "immorality"?

Should it be? It would be to a Christian, and despite the decline, this country is still considered to be Christian.

I don't believe it should be. I don't consider that any belief system's interpretation of ancient events should be accepted unquestionably, and the assertion that "this country is still considered to be Christian" is debatable.

It's a matter of perspective. I'm not asking for theological opinions alone, I'm asking for a philosophic discussion of the question: Is morality necessary?

That lists 8 possible reasons why Rome's empire ended. Which one are you proposing, and how would it indicate that there is a necessity for morality?

Thats eight reasons that all contributed.
Look at the reasons and you can see that some influenced others. But morals were the start of building and lack the behinning of the end.

Back