APP - Do we need "morality"?

This subforum has been created to encourage a higher level of conversation and debate. This subforum inherits all site wide rules, and has some additional caveats:

1. No racism, sexism, homophobia, general bigotry
2. No insults directed at specific individuals
3. No trolling
4. No flaming
5. No "Message Board Wars," please check personal vendettas at the door
6. No thread de-railment. Please stay on topic.

You should aim to be courteous, kind, patient, intelligent and receptive to one another.

This subforum has been created to encourage a higher level of conversation and debate. This subforum inherits all site wide rules, and has some additional caveats:

3. No trolling
4. No flaming

You should aim to be courteous, kind, patient, intelligent and receptive to one another.

and people with no morals eventually become totalitarian.

and people with no morals eventually become totalitarian.

Is that your opinion, or is it an established fact?

The problem with a generalization of that sort is twofold. You have shown no evidence of its validity, and it's my belief that very few people have historically declared themselves amoral. Detractors of an individual may portray the object of their derision as amoral, but that's not the same thing, is it?

The question before us is whether or not morals are necessary.

3. No trolling
4. No flaming

Is that your opinion, or is it an established fact?

The problem with a generalization of that sort is twofold. You have shown no evidence of its validity, and it's my belief that very few people have historically declared themselves amoral. Detractors of an individual may portray the object of their derision as amoral, but that's not the same thing, is it?

The question before us is whether or not morals are necessary.

so where's your proof on how they're not necessary?

I don't care to, especially since you don't really hold a counter position. it seems pointless.

I never intended to argue a specific position. The stated purpose of the thread was to ask the question in the thread title and hear what others think, and talk about it.

If you don't want to discuss the question, that's OK. I've enjoyed our interaction, except for the gratuitous personal insult that you hastily edited out of existence.

I never intended to argue a specific position. The stated purpose of the thread was to ask the question in the thread title.

If you don't want to discuss the question, that's OK. I've enjoyed our interaction, except for the gratuitous personal insult that you hastily edited out of existence.

I discussed it. I gave my opinion, which is more than you have done.

I discussed it. I gave my opinion, which is more than you have done.

I appreciate your input. However, taking a position and then refusing to disclose a reason for holding it is a somewhat puzzling means of discussion, don't you think?

I am not attempting to debate you, or "prove you wrong", you know. I want to understand your reasoning. How does that strike you?

I appreciate your input. However, taking a position and then refusing to disclose a reason for holding it is a somewhat puzzling means of discussion, don't you think?

I am not attempting to debate you, or "prove you wrong", you know. I want to understand your reasoning. How does that strike you?

I gave my reasoning.

not even taking a position is mild retardation, clinically, though I could be wrong.

Back