Do you feel superior to young-earth creationists?

poll is worthless.....of the three options offered, they ask which is the CLOSEST to what you believe....only one speaks of God creating....even though I don't believe in a young earth the only option I could choose which is the closest to what I believe is number 3.....

the people who wrote the poll and anyone who quotes it are fucking idiots.....(particularly people from this board, because that's been pointed out three or four times already that I can remember).....
While the poll may not accurately reflect your point of view it does accurately reflect that around 40% of the population believes in young earth creationism.

I find it astounding that they cannot fathom the idea that an Omnipotent God could oh... make billions of years of evolution and geological change happen in "six days" so they argue instead the Satan drops fake "aged" dinosaur bones for us to find...

Guh...

I mean, really?
I gave up trying to explain to them that biological evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the ultimate origins of life. They want to believe what they want to believe.

No disrespect intended but from a purely scientific view point I fail to see the relevence of your comment.

I was suggesting that perhaps the story refers to a time after a major catastrophe. For example, (Excerpt) Turning to a close up photograph of the Sphinx, West suddenly realised that the weathering patterns on the Sphinx were not horizontal as seen on other monuments at Giza, but vertical. Now horizontal weathering is the result of prolonged exposure to strong winds and sandstorms. There sure had been plenty of those in this arid region of the Sahara. Could water have caused the vertical weathering on the Sphinx? Water from where? (End)
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/parade/henryr/quest/sphinx/

Let's say civilization was almost wiped out 4000 or 5000 BC. While there would be artifacts prior to that someone telling a story may interpret the start of the "new age" as the beginning thus making it a young earth from that perspective.

While the poll may not accurately reflect your point of view it does accurately reflect that around 40% of the population believes in young earth creationism.

no, it reflects that 40% believe choice number 3 is the closest to what they believe......people who are not young earth creationists could also chose number 3, and to pretend that isn't true is patently dishonest......

no, it reflects that 40% believe choice number 3 is the closest to what they believe......people who are not young earth creationists could also chose number 3, and to pretend that isn't true is patently dishonest......

The only non-YECs who would select option 3 would probably be gap theorists, a very small and obscure group. Who else would believe that humanity is less than 10,000 years old, while the earth is much older?

The only non-YECs who would select option 3 would probably be gap theorists, a very small and obscure group. Who else would believe that humanity is less than 10,000 years old, while the earth is much older?

the 10,000 is irrelevant......if you did not believe that human beings evolved, the only one of the three that you could chose would be #3, as it's the only one that states God created humans in their present form.......as I said, #3 is the closest choice to what I believe, even though I don't believe humanity is less than 10,000 years old......

Catholics and pretty much any mainstream form of Christianity generally believe that God created the universe in some way that is consistent with scientific evidence. When the two seem to diverge, the logic goes, the problem is most likely with our interpretation of the text, perhaps with a loss of the "true" text, and not with God or science. This is sensible, because it places the blame in human hands. Fundamentalist Christians, on the other hand, take their reading as absolute (somehow failing to see the hubris of this), which leads to a conflict between God and science, and, of course, they choose to reject science.

Such a position really can't be taken seriously, and it's really an embarrassment to most Christians. Interestingly enough, in Islam, where fundamentalism is a lot more prevalent than it is in Christianity, there is also a lot of evolution denial. Even Turkey, which is probably the most progressive Islamic state in the world by far, is almost always dead last in polls taken of OECD countries on evolution belief (Turkey is the only Islamic majority country in the OECD, so other Islamic majority states don't show up in such polls; however, I have no doubt that others would turn out worse). As so often happens in real life, those who hate each other the most are often the most similar deep down.

I don't feel superior to them. Anyone is entitled to believe what ever they want. What they are not entitled to do is to force me to practice, interpret or teach science according to their non-scientific beliefs.

The fact that people are entitled to believe whatever they want doesn't mean we should abstain from calling those who hold really stupid positions stupid. Even if they turned out to be right, the fight between our two views is important in the human quest for truth. Throwing up your hands and saying "there is no truth, everything is equal!" is not going to progress this.

the 10,000 is irrelevant......if you did not believe that human beings evolved, the only one of the three that you could chose would be #3, as it's the only one that states God created humans in their present form.......as I said, #3 is the closest choice to what I believe, even though I don't believe humanity is less than 10,000 years old......

Most people who chose #3 probably believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old. After all, a literal interpretation of Biblical genealogies puts the age of the earth at between 6 - 7 thousand years, depending on who you ask. So I'd say the results of the survey are pretty accurate.

How old do you think the earth and humanity are?

Honestly, believing the earth is 100,000 or even 1,000,000 years old isn't much different than believing it is only 6,000 years old. It's still leaps and bounds away from reality.

Catholics and pretty much any mainstream form of Christianity generally believe that God created the universe in some way that is consistent with scientific evidence. When the two seem to diverge, the logic goes, the problem is most likely with our interpretation of the text, perhaps with a loss of the "true" text, and not with God or science. This is sensible, because it places the blame in human hands. Fundamentalist Christians, on the other hand, take their reading as absolute (somehow failing to see the hubris of this), which leads to a conflict between God and science, and, of course, they choose to reject science.

Such a position really can't be taken seriously, and it's really an embarrassment to most Christians. Interestingly enough, in Islam, where fundamentalism is a lot more prevalent than it is in Christianity, there is also a lot of evolution denial. Even Turkey, which is probably the most progressive Islamic state in the world by far, is almost always dead last in polls taken of OECD countries on evolution belief (Turkey is the only Islamic majority country in the OECD, so other Islamic majority states don't show up in such polls; however, I have no doubt that others would turn out worse). As so often happens in real life, those who hate each other the most are often the most similar deep down.

It does seem to be the case, throughout history.

:mad:
I was suggesting that perhaps the story refers to a time after a major catastrophe. For example, (Excerpt) Turning to a close up photograph of the Sphinx, West suddenly realised that the weathering patterns on the Sphinx were not horizontal as seen on other monuments at Giza, but vertical. Now horizontal weathering is the result of prolonged exposure to strong winds and sandstorms. There sure had been plenty of those in this arid region of the Sahara. Could water have caused the vertical weathering on the Sphinx? Water from where? (End)
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/parade/henryr/quest/sphinx/

Why, good man, from the dome that rests on the turtle's back. :whoa:

Let's say civilization was almost wiped out 4000 or 5000 BC. While there would be artifacts prior to that someone telling a story may interpret the start of the "new age" as the beginning thus making it a young earth from that perspective.

Yes, the very reason it should not be taken literally, but in the fashion it was written and before that orated.

so is saying human beings evolved.....

How do you explain the thousands of fossils that reveal a gradual increase in brain volume, straightening of the spine, and other human characteristics?

Why do humans have non-functional third eyelids, tailbones, and ear muscles?

Why do we share 95% of our DNA with chimpanzees, which indicates that we share a common ancestor?

my brain is far superior, but then again they don't have to worry about science since they have thier comic book teachings.

How do you explain the thousands of fossils that reveal a gradual increase in brain volume, straightening of the spine, and other human characteristics?

Why do humans have non-functional third eyelids, tailbones, and ear muscles?

Why do we share 95% of our DNA with chimpanzees, which indicates that we share a common ancestor?

no it doesn't....it indicates we share 95% of our DNA with chimpanzees......the common ancestor assumption is your own foolish delusion.....

fossils are what they are....bones of dead creatures that existed at some point in history.....there's no reason whatsoever to pretend they form some sort of pathway traveled by our human ancestors......

and if you didn't have ear muscles you wouldn't be able to wiggle your ears....for you and Alfalfa, its your only hope of attracting a mate.....

Back