Does any genre matter any more besides hip hop?

Would they say he's better than Kendrick Lamar lol?

Don't know...don't care. Nothing personal to Mr. Lamar but his success should actually clue you in on just how back music is in this era. There has been a steady decline in music quality since 2000 and the IT Thieves of Silicon Valley (I love when those pricks talk about the sanctity of intellectual property, fucking hypocritical thieves) have played a major role in that decline as well as some other factors but it's hard to believe that so much more better music was produced even in the 60's with it's technology limitations as compared to today. I'm not being a Damocles "Get off my lawn" Fogey either.

A lot of that was caused by the radio though... different radio stations needed different identities, they concentrated on one type of sound to distinguish themselves. When radio died it sort of all blended together? Now it's just a spectrum from pop to hip hop. Country and indie rock became a lot more like pop artists until they basically were pop artists (Taylor Swift, Bastille, Imagine Dragons, etc). Genres that were stubborn died out basically. Hip hop was the only thing that was able to keep its own identity, that's why it gets so much cred these days to be honest. It's the only genre left with any sort of distinctiveness or genuineness. And still, like half of the last Drake album is fucking pop.

Technically EDM and techno didn't die, it just became the background soundtrack to hip hop.

I can honestly see a point in the future where all music is just pop songs with a few rap bars in the break. Like rap will just be a little sideshow in a pop song. Despacito a thousand times over. So enjoy it while it lasts.
Rock will never die mother fucker.

when I was a kid, people liked biggie and tupic, and I would sit in my corner listening to nirvana, smashing pumpkins, and whatever else

then once i was older, people were listening to ... who was big in the early 00's? dmx? who gives a shit.. I was listening to radiohead

then I listened to some more radiohead

when has hip hope honestly ever been a cultural underdog other than maybe a brief few years after it's inception?

people love to eat that shit up

I am not a musical elitest, though I have every right to be

I don't judge, people should listen to whatever makes them happy. People like to get all haughty about music but at the end of the day we all connect with it on a primal, un-elitest level.

like you I also developed a taste for poppy synths and more beats oriented music, but i went deeper. And I stuck with my indie rock brethren. I still have good stuff watermark. It still lives. I miss the days you would obsess over magnetic fields. which you did...a fucking lot. lmao. Come to think of it, I think I am only now concluding in 2018 that you have a very obsessive personality and really seem to sink you claws into something for a few years in a almost psychotic level of dedication before potential burn out? then you move on to the next big everything. nothing wrong with that but that's you. Watermark walking over a horizon is a scary thought. Where will he end up? :thinking:

Back