Does the cosmos have a reason?

Agreed life appears to be very rare judging by the results. Why remains a mystery. Do other advanced civilizations kill themselves off before being able to move off world?
Another possibility: technologically advanced sentient consciousness is a fluke, and exceedingly rare at cosmic scales.

Sure, we can predict that a bean sprouts roots will grow down, but exactly how it grows from there seems unpredictable. I'm not sure a math formula for that is achievable. If it was, then our entire lives could be reduced to a mathematical formula. A feat I strongly doubt it possible.
Agree. Consciousness remains a mystery, and probably will be for centuries to come. It is a phenomena that doesn't seem explicable by a mathematical equation.

The Christian concept of an immaterial immortal soul, and a transcendental heaven beyond the material world comes from Plato.
Source?
Irrelevant.

It doesn't matter whether or not the ancient Japanese, Indians, or Polynesians believed in an immortal soul.

The Christians of late Antiquity did not know those people.

The Christians got their ideas of an immortal soul and a transcendental heaven from Plato.

It doesn't matter if that makes you angry. It is a historical fact.
You couldn't be more wrong! Name dropping isn't working for you anymore!

Yes, the 64 thousand dollar question.

Life as we would recognize it is either inevitable in the presence of liquid water, or life is an exceptionally rare fluke.

I lean towards life being very rare, but OTOH I wouldn't be totally shocked if we started finding microbial life on all the ocean moons of the solar system.
Your big problem is only seeing things from the physical universe pov!

Another possibility: technologically advanced sentient consciousness is a fluke, and exceedingly rare at cosmic scales.

Agree. Consciousness remains a mystery, and probably will be for centuries to come. It is a phenomena that doesn't seem explicable by a mathematical equation.
Given there are a minimum of 100B stars in our galaxy and the odds of life evolving, literally, a million to one, then that leaves a 100,000 stars with life. Wipe out 99% of that life prior to achieving the ability to move off planet, and that still leaves 1,000 space-faring lifeforms

Life must be exceedingly rare, indeed, to not give a sign of existence as we've been doing for over 100 years.

Given that the Universe exists for a reason then it seems life exists for a reason. Following the Red Queen hypothesis, all life, if it survives, will eventually evolve sentient consciousness.

There are different models for estimating the number of stars in the Milky Way and the answers they give differ depending on what is used as the average mass of a star. The most common answer seems to be that there are 100 billion stars in the Milky Way on the low-end and 400 billion on the high end. But I’ve seen even higher numbers thrown around.
The “Red Queen” hypothesis in evolution is related to the coevolution of species. It states that species must continuously adapt and evolve to pass on genes to the next generation and also to keep from going extinct when other species within a symbiotic relationship are evolving.

Not a physicist, but it all makes sense to me that's how it all came about. What caused the Big Bang, is unknown, but what came after seems pretty clear.

What fascinates me the most is how Life is the great variable in shaping the Universe. The X factor.
Big Bang was an equal and opposite reaction to Satan's failed rebellion!

Back