D’Oh! 1 in 4 Americans don’t know Earth circles Sun?!!

signalmankenneth

Verified User
http://rt.com/usa/science-education-survey-americans-178/

7e5d24b6cc20b8918bbd7d7210b51b8f.jpg

I wonder how many American's believe the earth is flat too?

As a teacher, I can believe it. I look at my Jr. High kids and see about that percentage who wouldn't care and would resist you trying to teach them. With a drop out rate in this nation at close to 50%, what do you thing these people would know?

As to the question about humans "evolving" from lesser forms, there would be over half, I suspect, who would be like me who know what answer the survey wanted but would refuse to answer yes to such a question.

But other than that, this survey, sadly, is probably pretty accurate.

Jesus - you really telling us three-quarters KNOW? How'd they manage that then? Not in Genesis, is it? :)

I can believe it......

Rep. Hank Johnson (D) - "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize"

And lefties bemoan income inequality... cant read cant write know nothings who drop out and/or check into prison and somehow they "deserve" a.bigger wage ? Its no wonder managers prefer mexicans. They have skills enough to work while 25% of americans dont. Some Great Society huh ?

Yawning!

And lefties bemoan income inequality... cant read cant write know nothings who drop out and/or check into prison and somehow they "deserve" a.bigger wage ? Its no wonder managers prefer mexicans. They have skills enough to work while 25% of americans dont. Some Great Society huh ?

manyawning.jpg

As a teacher, I can believe it. I look at my Jr. High kids and see about that percentage who wouldn't care and would resist you trying to teach them. With a drop out rate in this nation at close to 50%, what do you thing these people would know?

As to the question about humans "evolving" from lesser forms, there would be over half, I suspect, who would be like me who know what answer the survey wanted but would refuse to answer yes to such a question.

But other than that, this survey, sadly, is probably pretty accurate.
Why would your refuse to answer yes to the question and by what scientific criteria are you assuming that the question would use the term "lesser"? By what biological criteria would other mammals be considered "lesser" than humans? I've never heard a biologist characterize humans in any scientific context as "greater". Have you?

Are you not implying that you hold a position on biological evolution that is not a scientific position and would that, at the least, not make you willfully ignorant of that foundational concept of biology?

Last edited:
I really think this cant be real.

I think people were messing with the pollsters

I dont.

Try this experiment Desh. Read up on a general science subject and try discussing it with random people you meet. Probably more than 75% of them will tell you that they don't care and that they aren't interested and that they would rather discuss something else.

It took me years, as a young man, to accept that the vast majority of people may respect science, they may appreciate and value the technology science provides for us but the overwhelming majority of people in this country are apathetic and uninterested about science. They don't care and they aren't interested.

I don't know to what degree that is true outside of the USA but it's that way in the majority of the USA.

Why would your refuse to answer yes to the question and by what scientific criteria are you assuming that the question would use the term "lesser"? By what biological criteria would Humans be considered "lesser" than other mammals? I've never heard a biologist characterize humans in any scientific context as "greater".

My bad. I should have used the word "earlier" instead of "lesser." Try typing a hurried response during a 5 minute break. :) My point is still the same. I would have answered no to such a question.

Are you not implying that you hold a position on biological evolution that is not a scientific position and would that, at the least, not make you willfully ignorant of that foundational concept of biology?

As one who holds a minor in the physical sciences and has taken several biological science courses along the way, I know that my opinion is not rooted in the scientific method. I figured most folks knew that about me.

I dont.

Try this experiment Desh. Read up on a general science subject and try discussing it with random people you meet. Probably more than 75% of them will tell you that they don't care and that they aren't interested and that they would rather discuss something else.

It took me years, as a young man, to accept that the vast majority of people may respect science, they may appreciate and value the technology science provides for us but the overwhelming majority of people in this country are apathetic and uninterested about science. They don't care and they aren't interested.

I don't know to what degree that is true outside of the USA but it's that way in the majority of the USA.

To what degree? I would agree with your 75% number in your proposal to desh.

Hot stuff up at Groveller's Gulch! Aren't the weirdoes boring!

My bad. I should have used the word "earlier" instead of "lesser." Try typing a hurried response during a 5 minute break. :) My point is still the same. I would have answered no to such a question.
Correction noted.

As one who holds a minor in the physical sciences and has taken several biological science courses along the way, I know that my opinion is not rooted in the scientific method. I figured most folks knew that about me.
I do know that about you but that didn't answer my question. To repeat my quesiton, wouldn't your view then be willfully ignorant of this foundational concept of biology?

To what degree? I would agree with your 75% number in your proposal to desh.
Well obviosly my little experiment isn't "scientific" (irony abounds) and would only provide anecdotal evidence but I bet it would probably demonstrate my point that most people are just not interested in science.

I do know that about you but that didn't answer my question. To repeat my quesiton, wouldn't your view then be willfully ignorant of this foundational concept of biology?

Not "ignorant" as that would imply one not knowing. I know what the theories are. I can pass the tests...to put it that way. Un-accepting maybe a better term.

Also, I would fall far short of referring to the evolutionary theory as a "foundational concept." Foundational implies a concept upon which the other concepts stand. Few concepts of Biology have to have the evolutional theory as their foundation.

Back