Dried Fruit "Added Sugars" Down The Drain!

PoliTalker

Diversity Makes Greatness
I like dried fruit. Dried fruit is a part of my diet.

I do not like "Added Sugars."

If you look on the contents you will find that a lot of dried fruit has "Added Sugars."

Cranberries, blueberries, raisins, dates, cherries all have added sugars. I suppose the corporate wizards have decided they will sell more product if it has a sweeter taste. Most processed foods have added ingredients from the big three popular added ingredients: Sugar, Fat, and Salt. Corporate reasoning goes like this: Add one or more of these ingredients, in the right combinations, and you will sell more product. And these things are cheap.

I began wondering just how they add sugars to dried fruit. I couldn't imagine using a hypodermic needle to inject sugar into blueberries, no. It has to be a process that's cheap and easily done on a mass scale. I noticed that these dried fruits are a little sticky. It must be a coating that is sprayed on.

I did some searching online. I am not the only one to wonder about this. And there seems to be no consensus. I would like to see an investigative reporting expose on it.

I wondered if I could remove the added sugars.

I did an experiment in my own kitchen. (Hey, some things they just don't tell ya, so ya have to figure them out for yourself.)

I took some dried fruit with added sugars and put it in a bowl. Then I added water and waited ten minutes.

Then I tasted the water.

You guessed it. It tasted strongly like sugar.

I poured it off.

Guess what?

It looked like corn syrup. A brown mixture (yuk.)

Now that makes sense. Corn syrup is darn cheap. And not very good for you. Who buys corn syrup and cooks with it? I never heard a 100-year-old talk of doing that.

I tasted the fruit. You guessed it. Now it tasted more like raw fruit. Not so sickenly sweet any more.

Yaay!

So now I have a new process. I de-process this processed food before I eat it. It's simple.

Added sugars down the drain. I wish they would not even put them in. I can't even find these dried fruits without the added sugars. No demand for it, I guess. Dumb corporations. I can't be the only one. My waistline thanks me. I want the health benefits of fruit and it's not always possible to get a wide variety of fresh fruits. That's why dried fruit is part of my diet. Now, thanks to a bit of ingenuity, added sugars are not.

You can do the same thing with sodium in canned vegetables.

Drain off the liquid, dump the contents into a bowl of water, let it sit then drain again and a quick rinse.

You can reduce the sodium by 30 to 60%.

Also, they produce some good "No Sugar Added" canned fruit which is tasty and very cheap, if you like to eat a lot of fruit.

Hello Nomad,

Drain off the liquid, dump the contents into a bowl of water, let it sit then drain again and a quick rinse.

Also, they produce some good "No Sugar Added" canned fruit which is tasty and very cheap, if you like to eat a lot of fruit.

Excellent!

Makes sense.

Good stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

I buy either frozen (no salt/sugar added unless you get the kind with a sauce) veggies, or no-salt-added veggies in cans. That's a good tip, thanks.

I buy either frozen (no salt/sugar added unless you get the kind with a sauce) veggies, or no-salt-added veggies in cans. That's a good tip, thanks.

I use bagged, frozen vegetables 99.9% of the time, but once in a great while, I'll need to dump a small can of Veg-All or generic mixed veg into a can of soup etc. A quick rinse takes away some extra sodium.

Low sodium/no-salt-added canned are not always available where I shop, so rinsing is the next best thing.

Why not just dry your own fruit?;)

Why not "just" grow your own fruit.... and vegetables.... and raise your own beef, pork and poultry?

Because IT'S TOO MUCH WORK!!!!

Most people have too many other more important things on their minds nowadays without adding fruit drying to the list. :rolleyes:

Buy fresh or frozen vegetables!

Why not "just" grow your own fruit.... and vegetables.... and raise your own beef, pork and poultry?

Because IT'S TOO MUCH WORK!!!!

Most people have too many other more important things on their minds nowadays without adding fruit drying to the list. :rolleyes:
It's not to difficult to use a dehydrator....less work than your rinsing method;)

If you look on the contents you will find that a lot of dried fruit has "Added Sugars."

Cranberries, blueberries, raisins, dates, cherries all have added sugars. I suppose the corporate wizards have decided they will sell more product if it has a sweeter taste. Most processed foods have added ingredients from the big three popular added ingredients: Sugar, Fat, and Salt. Corporate reasoning goes like this: Add one or more of these ingredients, in the right combinations, and you will sell more product. And these things are cheap.

I began wondering just how they add sugars to dried fruit. I couldn't imagine using a hypodermic needle to inject sugar into blueberries, no. It has to be a process that's cheap and easily done on a mass scale. I noticed that these dried fruits are a little sticky. It must be a coating that is sprayed on.

I did some searching online. I am not the only one to wonder about this. And there seems to be no consensus. I would like to see an investigative reporting expose on it.

I did an experiment in my own kitchen. (Hey, some things they just don't tell ya, so ya have to figure them out for yourself.)

I took some dried fruit with added sugars and put it in a bowl. Then I added water and waited ten minutes.

Then I tasted the water.

I poured it off.

Guess what?

Now that makes sense. Corn syrup is darn cheap. And not very good for you. Who buys corn syrup and cooks with it? I never heard a 100-year-old talk of doing that.

I tasted the fruit. You guessed it. Now it tasted more like raw fruit. Not so sickenly sweet any more.

Yaay!

So now I have a new process. I de-process this processed food before I eat it. It's simple.

Added sugars down the drain. I wish they would not even put them in. I can't even find these dried fruits without the added sugars. No demand for it, I guess. Dumb corporations. I can't be the only one. My waistline thanks me. I want the health benefits of fruit and it's not always possible to get a wide variety of fresh fruits. That's why dried fruit is part of my diet. Now, thanks to a bit of ingenuity, added sugars are not.

Good grief, get yourself a food dehydrator and make your own dried fruit you fucking retard.

Then I tasted the water.

I poured it off.

Guess what?

Yaay!

buy dried fruit at a health food store with No Added Sugars......

Back