Driving Old Dixie Down

I know I'm going to get a lot of abuse here for this, but that makes it even better because it only means I'll have pissed off more Southerners.

I am in the city today and needed to get to the Javits center from Penn. Normally I might walk but it was raining just enough that my hair would have been destroyed. So I cross the street to stand in front of the a large hotel right across from Penn where the doorman is getting taxis. I am standing there and I'm next in line and the guy is getting these four women into a taxi. So a couple waltzes along and the woman goes and talks to the guy, and the plants herself in front of me with a clueless look on her face. At this point I didn't even know she was a Southerner. I just looked at her. She actually has the nerve to smile at me, one of those, where am I? smiles. So I ask her if she's waiting for a taxi. She says yes, and then I hear her voice.

So very nicely, but firmly, I tell her, well I'm next in line. And she puts on this whole southern bell shit show (she is about 55, so really stretching that crap). Oh, is that how it works? My goodness I do not know the etiquette! Inside I am rolling my eyes, but I just say, oh that's okay. And she walks behind me. She then has the temerity to tap me on the shoulder and say, excuse me I work very hard not to be rude (wtf?), I didn't know the etiquette. So now I am getting tired of this show, and I turn around and say very sweetly (and trust me contrary to what has been rumored, I have a very sweet voice), "oh my goodness really? you know for all the places I have been, I have not been down south...they don't have lines there?"

Boy did her face twist up. I mean, she was steaming. Now I am trying really hard not to laugh. What a passive aggressive asshole. She was so passive aggressive it was a bit startling. I bet she thinks butter just won't melt in her mouth though.

So the next taxi comes and asks where I'm going, I say Javitz, he says no, and starts to ask el bitcho where she is going. I know he doesn't want to do the return empty because no one is leaving Javits at this hour, so I say, I'll give you an extra 20. He says get in. I turned around and winked at ole Scarlett. Her mouth was so twisted by now I couldn't not laugh.

I would have paid that guy 100 to make sure she didn't get a taxi before me. I mean, there was no way that was happening.

I am in Javits now and I am still laughing.

When are these Southerners going to get tired of getting their asses kicked by northerners?

Ahh I love a good southerner bashing thread.

"oh my goodness really? you know for all the places I have been, I have not been down south...they don't have lines there?"

lolll
What a passive aggressive asshole.
lmao, you are going to kill me but I thought you were calling yourself that briefly after your line from above ;)

The thing is, I've never heard of line waiting for taxis. Deep south rural people just don't have that type of experience. In Boston I get cabs a decent amount and never had a line, it was just a free for all, people would just step out and wave them down.

I know I'm going to get a lot of abuse here for this, but that makes it even better because it only means I'll have pissed off more Southerners.

I am in the city today and needed to get to the Javits center from Penn. Normally I might walk but it was raining just enough that my hair would have been destroyed. So I cross the street to stand in front of the a large hotel right across from Penn where the doorman is getting taxis. I am standing there and I'm next in line and the guy is getting these four women into a taxi. So a couple waltzes along and the woman goes and talks to the guy, and the plants herself in front of me with a clueless look on her face. At this point I didn't even know she was a Southerner. I just looked at her. She actually has the nerve to smile at me, one of those, where am I? smiles. So I ask her if she's waiting for a taxi. She says yes, and then I hear her voice.

So very nicely, but firmly, I tell her, well I'm next in line. And she puts on this whole southern bell shit show (she is about 55, so really stretching that crap). Oh, is that how it works? My goodness I do not know the etiquette! Inside I am rolling my eyes, but I just say, oh that's okay. And she walks behind me. She then has the temerity to tap me on the shoulder and say, excuse me I work very hard not to be rude (wtf?), I didn't know the etiquette. So now I am getting tired of this show, and I turn around and say very sweetly (and trust me contrary to what has been rumored, I have a very sweet voice), "oh my goodness really? you know for all the places I have been, I have not been down south...they don't have lines there?"

Boy did her face twist up. I mean, she was steaming. Now I am trying really hard not to laugh. What a passive aggressive asshole. She was so passive aggressive it was a bit startling. I bet she thinks butter just won't melt in her mouth though.

So the next taxi comes and asks where I'm going, I say Javitz, he says no, and starts to ask el bitcho where she is going. I know he doesn't want to do the return empty because no one is leaving Javits at this hour, so I say, I'll give you an extra 20. He says get in. I turned around and winked at ole Scarlett. Her mouth was so twisted by now I couldn't not laugh.

I would have paid that guy 100 to make sure she didn't get a taxi before me. I mean, there was no way that was happening.

When are these Southerners going to get tired of getting their asses kicked by northerners?

Hilarious, she is going to go home with a great story about the evil New York woman.

lolll

lmao, you are going to kill me but I thought you were calling yourself that briefly after your line from above ;)

The thing is, I've never heard of line waiting for taxis. Deep south rural people just don't have that type of experience. In Boston I get cabs a decent amount and never had a line, it was just a free for all, people would just step out and wave them down.

Nah I am just aggressive.

Yeah it is like that here too, but not around Penn unless you walk a block or two over. I hate the line process, but because of the rain I chose it as the lesser of two evils.

So the fact that she didn't realize that one person standing there constitutes a line makes her an idiot?

So the fact that she didn't realize that one person standing there constitutes a line makes her an idiot?

There were four women in front of me that the doorman was in the street getting the taxi for. They were still standing on the sidewalk directly in front of me. Then behind me were an Indian couple standing the correct way in the line. When she stood directly behind me she was cutting them, but that was their problem and I ignored it.

And I never said she was an idiot. She knew it was a line. She was using the "where am I?" look to pull a fast one.

:)

I agree with you darla. Especially after you mentioned that the girl just cut someone else. what a mouthbreather.

lolll

Y'all are lucky. You don't have to deal with these entitled inbreds on a daily basis.

I swear they make blacks look like dark skinned Einsteins.

In San Francisco it's just a free for all as well. In downtown LA cabs line up at certain blocks. What I hated was wanting a five minute cab ride across the city. The guy whose first in line has probably been sitting there an hour and is going to be pissed getting less than a $10 fare and having to get back in line for another hour. Always a cluster f*ck.

She cuts the line, a clear breach of etiquette and then says "I work very hard not to be rude (wtf?), I didn't know the etiquette." :rolleyes:

Work harder, Eula Lee.

It always amazes me that some of the same people who would throw a hissy fit if someone posted demeaning things about minority races or about women, somehow feel completely free to post demeaning things about southerners.

Now, I am not saying there are no mouth-breathing idiots down here. But I am quite certain there are those same folks all over. I have worked with plenty of them from the northeast, midwest and west coast.

I'm also quite certain that I, a southerner, hold my own in debates on these forums. (and I am neither the smartest nor the best mannered in my family)

Why is certain ignorant bigotry acceptable??

It always amazes me that some of the same people who would throw a hissy fit if someone posted demeaning things about minority races or about women, somehow feel completely free to post demeaning things about southerners.

Now, I am not saying there are no mouth-breathing idiots down here. But I am quite certain there are those same folks all over. I have worked with plenty of them from the northeast, midwest and west coast.

I'm also quite certain that I, a southerner, hold my own in debates on these forums. (and I am neither the smartest nor the best mannered in my family)

I lived in Louisiana for about a year and a half. There were good people and bad people just like everywhere else.

Welp

1) southerners aren't a historically or modernly oppressed people, so I don't really feel like what I am saying about them is anyway comparable to say, racist comments about black people.

2) It's a fact that the southern united states has a lower IQ, lower education than the rest of the nation

3) many southerners lack perspective on the modern world, they are often extremely ignorant to anything outside their rural community

4) many are religious, and they have that religion permeate into influencing u.s. public policy

5) they in general contribute a great deal to holding this nation back.

Back