Drummie's Musical Favorites

Honeycombs - Have I The Right (Best Quality)

RGM304
12K subscribers
The Honeycombs were an English beat/pop group, founded in 1963 in North London. The group had one chart-topping hit, the million selling "Have I the Right?", in 1964. After that song the interest in the group ebbed away, and they split up in late 1966. The group's most distinguishing mark was their female drummer, Honey Lantree.

The original group members were:

Denis D'Ell (born Denis James Dalziel, 14 October 1943, Whitechapel, East London; died of cancer 6 July 2005- Lead singer and harmonica player
Martin Murray (born 7 October 1939, The City of London) - Rhythm guitar. He was replaced by Peter Pye (born 12 July 1946, Walthamstow, London) in November 1964
Alan Ward (born 12 December 1945, Nottingham - Lead guitar
John Lantree (born John David Lantree, 20 August 1940, Newbury, Berkshire - Bass guitar
Honey Lantree (born Ann Margot Lantree, 28 August 1943, Hayes, Middlesex - Drums and singer

The group started in November 1963 as an amateur band by Martin Murray. Its members were the hairdresser Murray, his salon assistant Honey Lantree, her brother John and two friends. It is unclear whether originally they called themselves The Sherabons or The Sheratons.

Conspicuous in "Have I the Right?" is the prominent part of the drums that carry the song. Their effect was enhanced by making the members of the group stamp their feet on the wooden stairs to the studio. Meek recorded the sound with five microphones he had fixed to the banisters with bicycle clips. For the finishing touch someone beat a tambourine directly onto a microphone. The recording was also somewhat speeded up.This is the RGM classic that broke up Meek and Goddard...as meek said he wrote the song...but Goddard did..

"Have I the Right?" was released in June 1964 on the Pye record label. The sales started slowly, but by the end of July the record started to climb in the UK Singles Chart. At the end of August the record reached #1. Outside the UK "Have I the Right?" was a big success too. The song became #1 in Australia and Canada.[10] In the US the record reached #5 and in the Netherlands #2.The million sale came from the combined UK (over 250,000), US and other countries totals. The Honeycombs also recorded a German version of the song: "Hab ich das Recht?". Both the English and the German version reached #21 in the German charts: the English one in October, the German one in November 1964.

Walk On By - Isaac Hayes w/The Bar-Kays (1969)

378492.jpg

The voice of South Park's "Chef" was that of Isaac Hayes.

The first dozen times I've watched this scene over the years I have cried with laughter.

Taxi - Reverend Jim's Driving Test

Daryl Hall John Oates Cab Driver

The first time I ever heard this song was several years ago on the premier episode of the syndicated TV show, "Live From Daryl's House" and I went crazy for it the first time I heard it. This is a later performance, but it is just as great.

the Beatles in the recording studio Feb. 19th 1965 (you're going to lose that girl)

Joseph Alfred Cowan
3.07K subscribers

A great historic/educational relic from February 19th 1965. Part of my Chronological Beatles series. This is what the Beatles looked like, what they wore, the instruments they played and the guests that visited them in the studio this day in history. Even though I like the video from the Help movie more than this video, this is what the Beatles were actually wearing and what they played during the recording of this song. A fabulous historical document. As can be seen John was playing the Blue Strat instead of the Gibson acoustic as shown in the movie. Without these photos no one would really know that. I hope you subscribe so I can keep making more of these educational videos as they are a great insight to how the Beatles made music.

Whenever I listen to this song, if I can't hear the bongos in the background, I go to a different source.

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) · The First Edition

Kenny Rogers and the First Edition tried their hands at psychedelic rock and acquitted themselves admirably.

Released on: 1967-01-01

Associated Performer, Guitar, Vocals: Mike Settle
Associated Performer, Vocals: Thelma Camacho
Associated Performer, Drums: Mickey Jones
Associated Performer, Vocals, Guitar: Terry Williams
Associated Performer, Guitar: Glen Campbell
Associated Performer, Vocals, Bass Guitar: Kenny Rogers
Producer: Mike Post
Composer Lyricist: Mickey Newbury

The 'girl singer' in the group was Mary Arnold.

Mary Margaret Arnold Miller (born September 19, 1947 in Carroll, Iowa[1]) is an American singer. She performed with the rock group Kenny Rogers and The First Edition from 1968 to 1976.

While at Drake University, Arnold had her own TV show.[2] While studying at the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music, Arnold auditioned for the show choir The Young Americans. She took a year off of school and toured with the group, meeting fellow singer Kenny Rogers. Her roommate was singer Thelma Camacho, who sang with Rogers in the band The First Edition. After Camacho was dismissed the band, Arnold took her spot in the band, beating out Karen Carpenter for the role.[3] She stayed with the band until it disbanded in 1976.

After the two were introduced by Rogers, Arnold married singer Roger Miller.[4] After The First Edition disbanded, Mary toured and recorded with Roger until his death in 1992.[3] After his death, Mary became president of Roger's musical trust. in 2004, she sued Sony/ATV Music Publishing to regain the rights to Roger's music. She won in district court in 2010, gaining the rights and $900,000 in damages.[5] However, the verdict was overturned upon appeal, and Sony retained the rights to Roger Miller's catalogue.[6][7]

Arnold also performed with Waylon Jennings, Glen Campbell, and George Burns. She performed at the White House twice, before the Nixons with The First Edition and before the Fords with Roger Miller. She was inducted into the Iowa Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in 2009.[3] She last appeared with The First Edition at a 2015 panel at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Arnold_(singer)

Back