Ducks destroy USC; can SEC doubters continue to deny their greatness?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
G

Guns Guns Guns

img20820733.jpg

The Ducks did something to USC no one had ever done to them in 124 years of football.

They amassed an eye-popping 730 yards of total offense, averaging almost 9 yards every time they snapped the ball and hung 62 on the scoreboard -- most ever allowed by the Trojans.

Those 730 yards were more than 100 more than the previous mark by any USC opponent -- and the old record stood for 66 years.

Kenjon Barner, the Ducks' dynamic tailback, ran for an Oregon-record 321 yards and five touchdowns. Marcus Mariota, the Ducks' freshman QB, was 20 of 23 for 304 yards and four TD passes.

The Oregon onslaught was such that the school's sports information man tweeted: "Going to need more than 1 bonus hour tonight to sort through all of these Oregon records #Fallback" ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ns-o-destroys-usc-up-next-cantbeatsec-critics

I don't believe I ever said they didn't have a great team. I don't think they are the best out there this year.

I also like to poke at claims of superiority. When you boast about your team, you open yourself up for people presenting another view.

I also wonder if this most recent game doesn't show that the Duck's defense is rather sad. They allowed 615 yards of offense and USC only punted once.

img20820733.jpg

The Ducks did something to USC no one had ever done to them in 124 years of football.

They amassed an eye-popping 730 yards of total offense, averaging almost 9 yards every time they snapped the ball and hung 62 on the scoreboard -- most ever allowed by the Trojans.

Those 730 yards were more than 100 more than the previous mark by any USC opponent -- and the old record stood for 66 years.

Kenjon Barner, the Ducks' dynamic tailback, ran for an Oregon-record 321 yards and five touchdowns. Marcus Mariota, the Ducks' freshman QB, was 20 of 23 for 304 yards and four TD passes.

The Oregon onslaught was such that the school's sports information man tweeted: "Going to need more than 1 bonus hour tonight to sort through all of these Oregon records #Fallback" ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ns-o-destroys-usc-up-next-cantbeatsec-critics
Sure they can. The Ducks are slightly over rated. Both ND and K. St. have played a tougher schedule than Oregon and have beaten higher ranked opponents than USC. Of the six undefeated teams and based on difficulty of schedule and beating teams that are currently ranked in the top 25 the rankings should be;

#1. Alabama
#2. Notre Dame
#3. K. State
#4. Ohio State
#5. Oregon
#6. Louisville.

Since Ohio State is on probation and can't play post season the rankings should be

#1. Bama
#2. ND
#3. K. State
#4. Oregon

Only Louisville of the remaining undefeated teams has had an easier schedule than Oregon and based on difficulty of schedule ND gets screwed (which I honestly can't say bothers me to much) as ND has played a tougher schedule than either Oregon or K. State. Oregon is the same ole same ole. A very dynamic offense with what could generously be called a mediocre defence (Ore is currently ranked 40th in total defense. Bama & ND are 1 & 2 respectively). Alabama would steam roll them with their superior defense and so would Notre Dame. From what I'm seeing right now Bama and (much as I hate to say this) ND are the two best teams in the nation right now.

I also wonder if this most recent game doesn't show that the Duck's defense is rather sad. They allowed 615 yards of offense and USC only punted once.

That is their weakness... they have NO defense. It is just a Pac 10 shootout every game. Teams with both the offense and defense (not to mention discipline) will beat Oregon. Bama got a good scare from LSU, a scare that showed just how good they are. Most teams would have folded to that LSU defense (at least the way they played against Bama). I like that McCarron kid. All heart. Though he deep weep like a Tebow at the end.

I think the human pollsters just want to see Oregon O vs. Bama D in the title game. The Pac 10 is weak as hell, yet they have pathetic teams like USC, Oregon St still ranked high (got to give Oregon strength of schedule somehow). K State is the second best team in the country. They deserve the shot, but they will be robbed unless Oregon loses.

Notre Dame showed they are just as over hyped as always.

Sure they can. The Ducks are slightly over rated. Both ND and K. St. have played a tougher schedule than Oregon and have beaten higher ranked opponents than USC. Of the six undefeated teams and based on difficulty of schedule and beating teams that are currently ranked in the top 25 the rankings should be;

#1. Alabama
#2. Notre Dame
#3. K. State
#4. Ohio State
#5. Oregon
#6. Louisville.

Since Ohio State is on probation and can't play post season the rankings should be

#1. Bama
#2. ND
#3. K. State
#4. Oregon

Only Louisville of the remaining undefeated teams has had an easier schedule than Oregon and based on difficulty of schedule ND gets screwed (which I honestly can't say bothers me to much) as ND has played a tougher schedule than either Oregon or K. State. Oregon is the same ole same ole. A very dynamic offense with what could generously be called a mediocre defence (Ore is currently ranked 40th in total defense. Bama & ND are 1 & 2 respectively). Alabama would steam roll them with their superior defense and so would Notre Dame. From what I'm seeing right now Bama and (much as I hate to say this) ND are the two best teams in the nation right now.

More stupidity from Ohio. ND is in no way a better team than KState. They barely squeak by a pathetic 4-4 Pitt team in triple OT? But for a shanked 33 yard FG in the second OT they would have lost.

Who besides OK and Stanford has ND played?

Mich/Mich St?... two weak Big 10 teams

#1. Alabama
#2. Notre Dame
#3. K. State
#4. Ohio State
#5. Oregon
#6. Louisville.

#1. Bama
#2. ND
#3. K. State
#4. Oregon

Good post, Mott. I know that had to be tough to write. But I think you are correct. But only if Klein is hurt enough to miss games. With Klein in I think they are a notch better than ND. (not sure it I think that because of consistently good play by K State or because I hate ND)

That is their weakness... they have NO defense. It is just a Pac 10 shootout every game. Teams with both the offense and defense (not to mention discipline) will beat Oregon. Bama got a good scare from LSU, a scare that showed just how good they are. Most teams would have folded to that LSU defense (at least the way they played against Bama). I like that McCarron kid. All heart. Though he deep weep like a Tebow at the end.

I think the human pollsters just want to see Oregon O vs. Bama D in the title game. The Pac 10 is weak as hell, yet they have pathetic teams like USC, Oregon St still ranked high (got to give Oregon strength of schedule somehow). K State is the second best team in the country. They deserve the shot, but they will be robbed unless Oregon loses.

Notre Dame showed they are just as over hyped as always.

One stat I read that made me laugh was that USC scored more and put up more yards against Oregon than they did against Colorado. Isn't Colorado one of the worst teams in the big 6 conferences? But they held USC better?

The game saturday will be remembered. McCarron and the entire offense was masterful in the last 2 mins. Crying? Yep he did. I'm fine with that.

LSU played an amazing game. I think Les Mile' coaching cost them that game.

No apologies offered. McCarron cried because of the huge release of stress from being down by 3 and under a huge pressure. He won the toughest game of the year, against the best opponent they have played, in one of th emost hostile environs in college football.

Tebow cried because he got his ass whipped.

More stupidity from Ohio. ND is in no way a better team than KState. They barely squeak by a pathetic 4-4 Pitt team in triple OT? But for a shanked 33 yard FG in the second OT they would have lost.

Who besides OK and Stanford has ND played?

Mich/Mich St?... two weak Big 10 teams
ND has beat 4 teams with 3 or less losses. One of those teams is currently rated #12 and the other #14.

K. State Has beat 4 teams with 3 losses or less one ranked #12 and one ranked #22.

Oregon has beat 1 team with 3 losses or less and that team is currently 18.

ND is rated #2 in the nation in defense and #72 on offense.
Oregon is rated #40 in defense and # 1 in offense.
K. State is rated #22 in defense and #4 in offense.

OK, You may have a point. I should list K. State as #2.

#1. Bama
#2. K. State
#3. ND
#4. Oregon.

I'll still take a tough schedule and a strong defense over Oregons flashy offense but weak defense.

One stat I read that made me laugh was that USC scored more and put up more yards against Oregon than they did against Colorado. Isn't Colorado one of the worst teams in the big 6 conferences? But they held USC better?

The game saturday will be remembered. McCarron and the entire offense was masterful in the last 2 mins. Crying? Yep he did. I'm fine with that.

LSU played an amazing game. I think Les Mile' coaching cost them that game.

Yes, CO is one of the most inept teams in the nation. Yet their D did better against USC. Oregon has no D. They just run hurry up O and don't make mistakes on O. Their only chance is to win the shoot out.

ND has beat 4 teams with 3 or less losses. One of those teams is currently rated #12 and the other #14.

K. State Has beat 4 teams with 3 losses or less one ranked #12 and one ranked #22.

Oregon has beat 1 team with 3 losses or less and that team is currently 18.

ND is rated #2 in the nation in defense and #72 on offense.
Oregon is rated #40 in defense and # 1 in offense.
K. State is rated #22 in defense and #4 in offense.

OK, You may have a point. I should list K. State as #2.

#1. Bama
#2. K. State
#3. ND
#4. Oregon.

I'll still take a tough schedule and a strong defense over Oregons flashy offense but weak defense.

Precisely

Yes, CO is one of the most inept teams in the nation. Yet their D did better against USC. Oregon has no D. They just run hurry up O and don't make mistakes on O. Their only chance is to win the shoot out.

A defense with fast corners and a monster D line could disrupt them completely.

But I am nervous about Bama's ability to play against a hurry up offense. But we could hold them better than they could hold us. Our offense is sharp enough to score a lot against them.

People continue to make the assumption that fast-paced football is somehow inferior to the fire-and-brimstone defensive theatrics of the Southeastern Conference; this is why I am hoping that Alabama plays Oregon for the national championship — because it feels like it could be a determinative moment for the hurry-up offense, and for the wide-open future of the sport.

The Ducks survived their gut-check moment exactly as I hoped they would: They just kept moving faster and faster and faster and faster and FASTER, handing the ball to running back Kenjon Barner, gashing the USC defense, allowing points to be scored against them only so they'd have time to score even more.

At one point, USC cut it to 41-38, but the Ducks kept moving, kept hitting paydirt, and put up 62, the most points scored against USC in school history.

In the end, Lane Kiffin was so flummoxed that, when his team scored with one second left to cut it to 62-51, he chose to go for a two-point conversion.

This is what the best teams do: They force you to play on their terms, and as evidenced by Lane Kiffin's punch-drunk logic, Oregon had succeeded.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-college-football-gut-check-test-last-weekend

Back