Earth, and everyone on it, is utterly and completely insginficant

/MSG/

Uwaa OmO
sGCbM.gif

Attachments

• 1338525230453.jpg
    1338525230453.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3
Am I the only one who fails to see what the point is here? There are a lot of things bigger than us in the universe, no doubt. But "significance" is not simply defined by size. I think it's pretty 'significant' that we invented the word, and know what it means... how many of those celestial bodies have done that?

I agree. People often ponder "the meaning of life," but this is a pointless endeavor. Life is meaningless. And even if there is a god, who says it is benevolent? Look at the world around us. Murder, war, terrorism, rape, etc. If there is a god, it is obviously a sadist.

I agree. People often ponder "the meaning of life," but this is a pointless endeavor. Life is meaningless. And even if there is a god, who says it is benevolent? Look at the world around us. Murder, war, terrorism, rape, etc. If there is a god, it is obviously a sadist.

No, I am sorry... TO YOU, life is meaningless. To a great many other people, life is certainly NOT meaningless.

And... you don't believe in God because God isn't stopping man from killing man? Seriously???

No, I am sorry... TO YOU, life is meaningless. To a great many other people, life is certainly NOT meaningless.

And... you don't believe in God because God isn't stopping man from killing man? Seriously???

If you witnessed someone attempting to murder another person, you would surely intervene, correct? That is the moral thing to do. The same principle would apply to a benevolent god. The fact that there is violence in the world demonstrates that there probably is no god. If there is a god, he's got to be a pretty big douche.

cthulhuchick.png

If you witnessed someone attempting to murder another person, you would surely intervene, correct? That is the moral thing to do. The same principle would apply to a benevolent god. The fact that there is violence in the world demonstrates that there probably is no god. If there is a god, he's got to be a pretty big douche.

Why would an omnipotent God have the need to adhere to YOUR concept of morality? Can you articulate?

You think it's moral to allow someone to, say, rape a child, when they have the ability to stop it?

"Someone," perhaps, but God is not a "someone." Now I do suppose, if whenever bad people did something bad, they just *zap* disappeared in a flash, like they flew into a bug zapper, many more people would believe in God. However, then we wouldn't really have "free will." There is no such thing as "good" if bad no longer exists. There is no such thing as "moral" if "immoral" doesn't exist. You and I are humans, mortal beings, we have a distinct structure of morality known as "humanity" which is unique to our species. God is not a human, and therefore, has no need for human attributes.

"Someone," perhaps, but God is not a "someone." Now I do suppose, if whenever bad people did something bad, they just *zap* disappeared in a flash, like they flew into a bug zapper, many more people would believe in God. However, then we wouldn't really have "free will." There is no such thing as "good" if bad no longer exists. There is no such thing as "moral" if "immoral" doesn't exist. You and I are humans, mortal beings, we have a distinct structure of morality known as "humanity" which is unique to our species. God is not a human, and therefore, has no need for human attributes.

The concept of free will is balderdash.

Why would an omnipotent god create such a mess as humans?

I guess this is where we're different. I happen to think the human mind is amazing. Some human minds are capable of genius, some are capable of creating profound beauty through their imaginations. The Bible says God created man in his image, and I don't know if that is true, we certainly aren't little God's running around. We are fallible and plagued with human emotional attributes, which I can't imagine any God would have.

Back