Earth, and everyone on it, is utterly and completely insginficant

Well, it's really a matter of what justifies our faith and what we believe. We can have faith and believe in anything, true, but there are many things that it would be foolish to have faith in, or to believe. Faith is not an unmoved mover - or, at least, it shouldn't be. It's an ends, not a means.

And what "justifies" our faith, is a matter of perception. We evaluate things we perceive as evidence, and form an opinion. We reject things we don't perceive as evidence because we have already closed our minds to the possibility. My more profound philosophical question is; Why do we try to evaluate the spiritual with physical evidence?

Your point in arguing that we both use faith was to imply equality between the two. I simply pointed out that there's more to the equation, and once taken into account, faith in either isn't equal. If I was going round, it was merely to dodge your curveball.

I only meant to imply faith is faith, regardless of what you have faith in. You can argue that this faith is not equal, but is "truth" not equal? Again, this depends on your perspective, whether you have formed an opinion, whether you perceive evidence as valid, or acknowledge the existence of evidence you may not understand. A person with a devout faith in God, has just as much faith as you have in gravity. Your perspectives are different, you evaluate evidence differently, but the faith is the same.

There are many theory's that are speculation. At some point, everything starts out as speculation, though. So it's not like a slight against it.

Which is the exact same point I made earlier to Voltaire. He rejects spiritual evidence because it is speculative. But the very nature of a theory, as you say, is speculative.

Back