Economy added 169k jobs in August as the recovery grinds along

Actually, 312,000 people left the labour force. As of now, a record 90 Million people are not part of the labour force.

fredgraph.png

The labour force participation rate plunged from 63.4% to 63.2%, which was the lowest it's been since 1978.

fredgraph.png

The biggest jobs gains were, as usual, were in Retail Rate, Leisure and Hospitality and Temp Services. We have also a surprising gain in the amount of Government jobs. So much for the sequester.

fredgraph.png

And, as usual, the biggest job gains were in low skilled, low paying service sector jobs.

fredgraph.png

Maybe he's a partisan hack
Boomers retiring will still be there if a republican wins next time!
It's called demographics

Actually, there is no indicators which supports the notion that Demographics are the cause of the decline. Especially when you are comparing this Phenomenon to countries with similar prospects of an aging population, like Canada.

fredgraph.png

The increasing surge in disability participants does explain the big increase of people no longer in the labour force, on the other hand.

Thanks to President Obama?

Tell me what Obama did to create those jobs, will you?

Hmmmmm...should I try and discuss this issue with a known troll?

Do I think I will get a straight answer out of a guy who has repeatedly resorted to innuendo, invective and obfuscation?

Short answer:

No.

We knew it would be a slow recovery, but at least it's heading in the right direction.

Is it? Labor participation rate is at a level we haven't seen since the late 70's (as the article mentioned). Most of the jobs that have been created this year are part time, not full time. Add to that the fact that the job increases in June and July were revised down and the August number doesn't even keep up with the new entrants into the job market and you have a mess.

Are you really going to claim that the only reason unemployment came down is because of people who left the workforce?

labor participation rate has gone down by about 2.5%, so it does account for most of the decline in the unemployment rate. Part time jobs is the other big factor in the decline.

Is it? Labor participation rate is at a level we haven't seen since the late 70's (as the article mentioned). Most of the jobs that have been created this year are part time, not full time. Add to that the fact that the job increases in June and July were revised down and the August number doesn't even keep up with the new entrants into the job market and you have a mess.
Not true blow hard

labor participation rate has gone down by about 2.5%, so it does account for most of the decline in the unemployment rate. Part time jobs is the other big factor in the decline.
It's not an Obama thing, they are called retiring boomers!
You have a decade left of declining participation rate.
Junior

Back