For gun nuts: Why have a revolver in modern times?

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
I don't know anything about guns.

I've noticed some people still buy 6 chamber revolvers these days. My question is.. why? Wouldn't it be preferable to have a gun that can load more rounds etc? Or is it just a cool factor type of thing?

I've noticed some people still buy 6 chamber revolvers these days. My question is.. why? Wouldn't it be preferable to have a gun that can load more rounds etc? Or is it just a cool factor type of thing?
There are a number of advantages to revolvers. They are simpler to clean and maintain, for one thing. Autoloaders have springs and other parts that wear out - not so revolvers. Revolvers are less prone to jams. You don't have to chase down ejected brass (a very nice feature if plinking in the brush as opposed to a firing range). Revolvers give you more choice on things like barrel length. You can get anywhere from 3 inch to 9 inch barrel on a .357 magnum. Can't get that choice on an autoloader.

When it comes to the more powerful handgun, like the magnums, the revolvers can be made significantly smaller and lighter. A .357 magnum snub nose is still a decent size for CCW. A .357 magnum autoloader is going to make a noticeable lump under anything except full arctic gear.

Unless you LIKE being able to rapid fire 11-13 rounds and quickly reload for another set, (and it IS admittedly fun to be able to do so) there is no real practical advantage to the autoloader. As such, IMO, owning an autoloader is more due to "cool factor" than is owning a revolver.

There are a number of advantages to revolvers. They are simpler to clean and maintain, for one thing. Autoloaders have springs and other parts that wear out - not so revolvers. Revolvers are less prone to jams. You don't have to chase down ejected brass (a very nice feature if plinking in the brush as opposed to a firing range). Revolvers give you more choice on things like barrel length. You can get anywhere from 3 inch to 9 inch barrel on a .357 magnum. Can't get that choice on an autoloader.

When it comes to the more powerful handgun, like the magnums, the revolvers can be made significantly smaller and lighter. A .357 magnum snub nose is still a decent size for CCW. A .357 magnum autoloader is going to make a noticeable lump under anything except full arctic gear.

Unless you LIKE being able to rapid fire 11-13 rounds and quickly reload for another set, (and it IS admittedly fun to be able to do so) there is no real practical advantage to the autoloader. As such, IMO, owning an autoloader is more due to "cool factor" than is owning a revolver.

Gr8, Grind, you've inspired another one of Good Luck's novels.

I'm with GL, I think it's more of a case of reliability and service, as well as barrel length (accuracy). I have a 9mm Ruger automatic, which I love and shoot regularly, but my S&W .357 Magnum revolver is what I would use on would-be pinhead stalkers and such. For general varmint shooting, I use my Browning .30-06 bolt action, or for smaller critters, the Remington .22 works fine.

It's about choice. I've got a revolver and a semi auto. I choose to carry each at different times. The revolver works great for making wanna be bullies or tough guys stop dead in their tracks before they even get on their train. The semi works for having something that provides the most bang for the buck.

It's about choice. I've got a revolver and a semi auto. I choose to carry each at different times. The revolver works great for making wanna be bullies or tough guys stop dead in their tracks before they even get on their train. The semi works for having something that provides the most bang for the buck.

The semi bullets are cheaper?

Reliability would be the main reason. No matter what happens the revolver is more likely to work. And if you have a missfire you can just pull the trigger again. With a semiauto you have to cycle the action.

Someone already mentioned bigger calibers but there are also more calibers in revolvers.

A revolver also allows you to shoot special ammunition like shotshells or lower powered (less recoil) rounds that a semiauto won't function with. Revolvers tend to be more accurate too and scope mounting is easier (or possible).

I have a .44 magnum that is a great handgun. I can shoot .44 mag, .44 special, shotshells of either caliber, low power rounds, even sabot loads.

If you can't solve the problem with 6 rounds the chances of solving it with 13 are not great.

And there need to be more than 6 and they all need to be really bad shots.

not true. I've seen where people have taken 3 or 4 .40 caliber rounds and walked to the back seat of the police car to be taken to jail. Also, if you've truly trained in firearms, the '2 to the body, 1 to the head' mantra should be real.

not true. I've seen where people have taken 3 or 4 .40 caliber rounds and walked to the back seat of the police car to be taken to jail. Also, if you've truly trained in firearms, the '2 to the body, 1 to the head' mantra should be real.
The triple tap should be used unless there is a crowd after you.

But for those who claim that having 13 shots allows them to take on more than six armed assailants the bad guys would have to be pretty bad shots for you to be able to hit 6 with the 2/1 while they didn't get you.

Dixie has a 30-06 bolt action handgun?

A relvolver is better for beginning handgun operators. A bit safer.

Plus an automatic is no fun playing russian roulette.

A wheel gun won't jam and if you have a misfire, you just pull the trigger again.

Well different guns have different appeals and challenges. The most fun I've had shooting has been retro. I've done turkey shoots and deer hunting in the past with black powder/flint lock muzzle loaders. I was even crazy enough to try to learn how to load one while running. A task I never mastered but some of our most famous frontiersman did.

Skeet shooting is, literally, a blast, is retro too and you don't need a $5000 dollar shot gun to enjoy it.

Back