For gun nuts: Why have a revolver in modern times?

Dixie has a 30-06 bolt action handgun?

A relvolver is better for beginning handgun operators. A bit safer.

Plus an automatic is no fun playing russian roulette.

You idiot, where did I say my Browning .30-06 was a handgun? Of course, it is a rifle, as is my .22 Remington. I do, however, have a handgun that shoots .410 shotgun shells.... badass little mofo!

You idiot, where did I say my Browning .30-06 was a handgun? Of course, it is a rifle, as is my .22 Remington. I do, however, have a handgun that shoots .410 shotgun shells.... badass little mofo!

Do you have the derringer, or is it a larger handgun??

The thread was about handguns.

You have a Taurus Judge? Or is it the derringer that USFREEDOM asked about?

There are a number of advantages to revolvers. They are simpler to clean and maintain, for one thing. Autoloaders have springs and other parts that wear out - not so revolvers. Revolvers are less prone to jams. You don't have to chase down ejected brass (a very nice feature if plinking in the brush as opposed to a firing range). Revolvers give you more choice on things like barrel length. You can get anywhere from 3 inch to 9 inch barrel on a .357 magnum. Can't get that choice on an autoloader.

When it comes to the more powerful handgun, like the magnums, the revolvers can be made significantly smaller and lighter. A .357 magnum snub nose is still a decent size for CCW. A .357 magnum autoloader is going to make a noticeable lump under anything except full arctic gear.

Unless you LIKE being able to rapid fire 11-13 rounds and quickly reload for another set, (and it IS admittedly fun to be able to do so) there is no real practical advantage to the autoloader. As such, IMO, owning an autoloader is more due to "cool factor" than is owning a revolver.
In my opinion the bolded text are the only advantages of a revolver.

Reliability is probably better in a well made semi auto. Drop a Glock and a revolver in wet mud and see which one fires.

A semi-auto can be made smaller and lighter because the rounds are stored in the handle, and there is no bulky rotating chamber. The Glock 36 fires 45 ACP, weighs 20 oz and is 1.13" narrow.

Some guys prefer blonds, others brunettes. *shrug*

Reliability is probably better in a well made semi auto. Drop a Glock and a revolver in wet mud and see which one fires.

A semi-auto can be made smaller and lighter because the rounds are stored in the handle, and there is no bulky rotating chamber. The Glock 36 fires 45 ACP, weighs 20 oz and is 1.13" narrow.

Some of the older military flare guns were made of metal and fired a .410 3" flare shell.
I was just wondering you might know anyone *whistling* that might have tried *cough* a standard 3" .410 in one and what the *looking around* outcome might have been??

You call yourself an American and buy Austrian guns. Disgusting.
Helping the downfall of US gun manufacturers you are.

Drop a revolver and a Glock in the mud and the chances of a misfire are 10 times greater for the Glock. There are more areas in the Glock the mud can screw up the works. All Glocks have a tendency to not eject a spent casing when badly soiled. Revolvers are so simple in design even mud does not have a serious effect on it.

And as was mentioned in another's post, if a revolver misfires on one chamber, all that is needed is to pull the trigger again. When an autoloader misfires, you have to manually cycle the action at the very least, with a likely need to clear the misfired round in the process.

There are many who do prefer the autoloader. And there are many fine autoloaders available. I have a few myself. But the practical advantages of the "old-fashioned" wheel gun are very real.

BTW: 45 ACP is not particularly powerful. My comments on size were aimed at the magnums which require beefier mechanisms in the autoloaders.

Last edited:
As much as I love my M1911 .45, there are plenty of reasons why a revolver is still a good choice.

Safety is one that comes to mind. A revolver is inherently safer than a semiauto when loaded. With the wheelgun, all you do is look to see if the hammer is cocked. If not then the gun is as safe as any loaded gun can be.

A semiauto has advantages, such as more rounds and a flatter profile when carried, but revolvers can't be discounted as great carry guns. And revolvers fit niches that the autoloader can't touch.

As much as I love my M1911 .45, there are plenty of reasons why a revolver is still a good choice.

Safety is one that comes to mind. A revolver is inherently safer than a semiauto when loaded. With the wheelgun, all you do is look to see if the hammer is cocked. If not then the gun is as safe as any loaded gun can be.

A semiauto has advantages, such as more rounds and a flatter profile when carried, but revolvers can't be discounted as great carry guns. And revolvers fit niches that the autoloader can't touch.

A concealed carry revolver would be hammer-less. *shrug*

Drop a revolver and a Glock in the mud and the chances of a misfire are 10 times greater for the Glock. There are more areas in the Glock the mud can screw up the works. All Glocks have a tendency to not eject a spent casing when badly soiled. ....

Not according to this guy:

g_all1.jpg

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Do not believe everything you read. If a firearms were completely buried in mud, the barrel likely would be clogged. Doesn't take a lot to build more back pressure than it was designed for, resulting in a mangled hand and ruined firearm.

Now I do believe the guy may have fired a whole bunch without cleaning - some people are both lazy and ignorant when it comes to firearms safety.

None the less, ON AVERAGE, a revolver will stand up to far more abuse and still fire normally than an autoloader - even Glock, which is an outstanding firearm.

And, no, a concealed revolver does not have to be "hammerless", (ie: recessed hammer). S&W's model 386 .357 mag makes a nice CCW and is less that 8 inches long total.

Glock, Inc. 6000 Highlands Parkway P.O. Box 369 Smyrna, GA 30082

*shrug*

Look again, that is the US distributor I think.

Glock
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Type Private
Founded 1963[1]
Headquarters Deutsch-Wagram, Austria
Key people Gaston Glock, Founder & Executive Chairman
Industry Arms industry
Products Firearms
Knives
Website http://www.glock.com

Glock GmbH (trademarked as GLOCK) is a weapons manufacturer headquartered in Deutsch-Wagram, Austria. Glock was named after its founder, Gaston Glock. The company is best known for its line of striker-fired polymer-framed pistols. Glock also currently produces equipment such as field knives and entrenching tools as well as sponsor a competitive shooting team that travels around the world promoting the company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

Last edited:
Back