APP - Former U.S. Marine and U.N. Weapons Inspector Scott Ritter

Some may have heard of Scott Ritter in the past. He was a former U.S. Marine Intelligence Officer, a former U.N. Weapons Inspector and is currently a journalist who is quite knowledgeable on certain global conflicts, in particular the war in Ukraine. Some, however, choose to focus solely on the fact that he was the subject of 2 law enforcement sting operations. Wikipedia sums it up:

Arrests and conviction for sex offenses

Ritter was the subject of two law enforcement sting operations in 2001.[39] He was charged in June 2001 with trying to set up a meeting with an undercover police officer posing as a 16-year-old girl.[40][41] He was charged with a misdemeanor crime of "attempted endangerment of the welfare of a child". The charge was dismissed and the record was sealed after he completed six months of pre-trial probation.[41][8]

Ritter was arrested again in November 2009[42] over communications with a police decoy he met on an Internet chat site. Police said that he exposed himself, via a web camera, after the officer repeatedly identified himself as a 15-year-old girl.[5]

The next month, Ritter waived his right to a preliminary hearing and was released on $25,000 unsecured bail. Charges included "unlawful contact with a minor, criminal use of a communications facility, corruption of minors, indecent exposure, possessing instruments of crime, criminal attempt and criminal solicitation".[2] Ritter rejected a plea bargain and was found guilty of all but the criminal attempt count in a courtroom in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, on April 14, 2011.[5][43]

In October 2011, he received a sentence of one and a half to five and a half years in prison.[3] He was sent to Laurel Highlands state prison in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, in March 2012 and paroled in September 2014.[4][7][8]

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Ritter#Arrests_and_conviction_for_sex_offenses

Now if that's all he had ever done, that'd be one thing, but as mentioned already, he was also a well regarded U.S. Marine Intelligence Officer, U.N. Weapons Inspector, and now, a very respected journalist, at least by people I personally respect, and also has his own substack page where he posts many articles on subjects like the Ukraine war that I think are quite good. Today, he posted an article I've made a thread out of, here, where he writes about an interview he had with a Russian Colonel in regards to the Ukraine war and the West's relationship with Russia:
A View from the Frontlines | justplainpolitics.com

Anyway, I decided to make this thread to try to have a respectful debate with people who have generally been respectful with me, and also as a sort of bookmark to direct anyone who brings up this old canard.

Is there a point to this?

From the conclusion of the opening post:
Anyway, I decided to make this thread to try to have a respectful debate with people who have generally been respectful with me, and also as a sort of bookmark to direct anyone who brings up this old canard.

Perhaps that wasn't as clear as I'd have liked it to be. Basically, people were insulting Scott Ritter whenever I or Hawkeye would post something that he was part of- articles, youtube videos, that sort of thing. I decided it'd be best to at least try to have a -respectful- debate on Ritter and this forum seemed like the best way to do that.

This is the APP section. He can post whatever he likes within the rules and participants have to abide by APP rules.

FWIW, I fell into the same pothole.

Rules for the Above Plain Politics Forum
(These rules apply solely to the APP Forum) <-- Please note, these rules apply there only...

This subforum has been created to encourage a higher level of conversation and debate. This subforum inherits all site wide rules, and has some additional caveats:

1. No racism, sexism, homophobia, general bigotry
2. No insults directed at specific individuals
3. No trolling
4. No flaming
5. No "Message Board Wars," please check personal vendettas at the door
6. No thread de-railment. Please stay on topic.

Please be courteous, kind, patient, intelligent and receptive to one another

You actually did fairly well. Even had a bit of an alrgith discussion with you on a former brother in law of mine.

Back