Freedom of the Press?--Report Finds Not So Much Freedom Anymore

Prakosh

Looks like the Bush administration has been able to accomplish at least one of the items on its agenda. It has managed to harness the press in America. Reporters Without Borders has released its fifth annual Worldwide Press Freedom Index. The Index shows the level of press freedom in the United States continues to fall. In 2002 the U.S. was rated as having the seventeenth freest press – now it is ranked fifty-third. Reporters Without Borders criticized the Bush administration for using the so-called war on terrorism to crack down on press freedoms. The report also criticized the United States for jailing journalists at home and abroad. Freelance journalist and blogger Josh Wolf remains in a San Francisco jail for refusing to hand over video to the police. Al Jazeera camerman Sami Al Haj has been locked up at Guantanamo for over four years. Associated Press photographer Bilal Hussein has been held in Iraq since April. Neither Al Haj or Hussein have ever faced charges. Reporters Without Borders found that the nations with the freest press were Finland, Iceland, Ireland and the Netherlands. But Bush can still breath freely, North Korea was rated as the worst upholder of press freedom.

Full Repressive Story Including Numerical Rankings

What a load of steaming crap. The US won't even sanction reporters who disclose Classified material. Hopefully that will change soon.

Whatsa matter toby, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I can make it better. You do, of course, have some links or some evidence that the report is fallacious, could you please post it?

Or maybe the freedom is limited by another group...

It was the day that a host of BBC executives and star presenters admitted what critics have been telling them for years: the BBC is dominated by trendy, Left-leaning liberals who are biased against Christianity and in favour of multiculturalism.

A leaked account of an 'impartiality summit' called by BBC chairman Michael Grade, is certain to lead to a new row about the BBC and its reporting on key issues, especially concerning Muslims and the war on terror.

It reveals that executives would let the Bible be thrown into a dustbin on a TV comedy show, but not the Koran, and that they would broadcast an interview with Osama Bin Laden if given the opportunity. Further, it discloses that the BBC's 'diversity tsar', wants Muslim women newsreaders to be allowed to wear veils when on air.

At the secret meeting in London last month, which was hosted by veteran broadcaster Sue Lawley, BBC executives admitted the corporation is dominated by homosexuals and people from ethnic minorities, deliberately promotes multiculturalism, is anti-American, anti-countryside and more sensitive to the feelings of Muslims than Christians.

One veteran BBC executive said: 'There was widespread acknowledgement that we may have gone too far in the direction of political correctness.

Link to dailymail.co.uk

Those darn Britts controlling the USA's press! They should just stay the heck out of our press.
Ohhh ummm sorry that was their press.
What about ours ?

Oh, pretty much in the same shape. Political Correctness seems to have gotten their ethics....

So now our press is "pretty much the same" as the press in Great Britain/United Kingdom. We should be so lucky. Not quite but nice try, more like the press in Poland and Romania than in Great Britain. In fact, Great Britain comes in at 28 while the US comes in at 53.

So now our press is "pretty much the same" as the press in Great Britain/United Kingdom. We should be so lucky. Not quite but nice try, more like the press in Poland and Romania than in Great Britain. In fact, Great Britain comes in at 28 while the US comes in at 53.
Right, the political correctness bug hasn't quite bitten us as hard... But we are clearly on the way there.

At least the Brits admit it, even if it is only at a meeting that they think nobody will get information about....

this very article has no proof and displays its bias with this statement unproven>>>Relations between the media and the Bush administration sharply deteriorated after the president used the pretext of “national security” to regard as suspicious any journalist who questioned his “war on terrorism.”

What evidence do they have? NONE.

so the capitalilstic run media in the USA is the same as the govt ( telly liscense fee) supported media in England ?

so the capitalilstic run media in the USA is the same as the govt ( telly liscense fee) supported media in England ?
On the same path. Yes, I believe that it largely is. The idea that political correctness cannot infect corporations is just plain silly. The government can even help make it happen faster through lawsuits.... (yes the judicial branch is part of the government)...

I can pick up my newspaper and read many stories critical of the government and the war. The idea that a guy in jail for contempt of court or the very few they can find that are journalists and in jail at the same time means the US is suddenly jailing people for writing those stories is laughable.

I'll bet that you can open the Denver Post on any day (it's the local liberal rag) and read more stories that are anti-administration than pro... They haven't even one journalist in jail. There is far more evidence of freedoms of the press than otherwise.

Let me ask the more delusional posters on this thread and you know who you are, just what the Bush administration has done to promote a greater freedom of information gathering and a greater freedom of information dispensation? Please just name one thing that Bush has done that has made it better in American for Journalists. And don't even try to foist off the "embedding reporters" bullshit either. Something concrete and proactive--just one thing?

Let me ask the more delusional posters on this thread and you know who you are, just what the Bush administration has done to promote a greater freedom of information gathering and a greater freedom of information dispensation? Please just name one thing that Bush has done that has made it better in American for Journalists. And don't even try to foist off the "embedding reporters" bullshit either. Something concrete and proactive--just one thing?
Right. Tell me, what has any President done to make it easier for the Press?

As I stated, I can pick up the Denver post and highlight more stories anti-admin than pro and none of those people are jailed. It is simply laughable to say that some guy in jail for contempt of court for not providing evidence means that this government is any more anti-press than any previous admin.

hmm seems like we had a press member jailed for some time for not revealing a source. Sort of groundbreaking if I remember correctly....

Back