Freedom

An oft misused and little understood concept.
What does it really mean ?

free·dom /ˈfridəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[free-duhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the state of being free or at liberty rather than in confinement or under physical restraint: He won his freedom after a retrial.
2. exemption from external control, interference, regulation, etc.
3. the power to determine action without restraint.
4. political or national independence.
5. personal liberty, as opposed to bondage or slavery: a slave who bought his freedom.
6. exemption from the presence of anything specified (usually fol. by from): freedom from fear.
7. the absence of or release from ties, obligations, etc.
8. ease or facility of movement or action: to enjoy the freedom of living in the country.
9. frankness of manner or speech.
10. general exemption or immunity: freedom from taxation.
11. the absence of ceremony or reserve.
12. a liberty taken.
13. a particular immunity or privilege enjoyed, as by a city or corporation: freedom to levy taxes.
14. civil liberty, as opposed to subjection to an arbitrary or despotic government.
15. the right to enjoy all the privileges or special rights of citizenship, membership, etc., in a community or the like.
16. the right to frequent, enjoy, or use at will: to have the freedom of a friend's library.
17. Philosophy. the power to exercise choice and make decisions without constraint from within or without; autonomy; self-determination. Compare necessity (def. 7).

That's right, freedom is an illusion so we should all become totalitarian internationalist fascistocrats. Good thinking, IQ1. May I call you IQ1?

Did you win a gold at the Illogical Olympics? You should have won something in the Jumping to Conclusions event or perhaps a gold in the Putting the Label?

Call me what you like, doesn't matter to me much, but have you got something other than a conditioned response to present?

Did you win a gold at the Illogical Olympics? You should have won something in the Jumping to Conclusions event or perhaps a gold in the Putting the Label?

Call me what you like, doesn't matter to me much, but have you got something other than a conditioned response to present?

Do you have a statement besides the shitminded "freedom is an illusion". It's not deep, it's retarded.

And don't start with the "Are you free to not eat and still stay alive?" ridiculousness.

You also don't believe in free will, do you? If you can denigrate free will, you can buttress totalitarianism. Congratulations fascist facilitator, you're an idiot.

Do you have a statement besides the shitminded "freedom is an illusion". It's not deep, it's retarded.

And don't start with the "Are you free to not eat and still stay alive?" ridiculousness.

You also don't believe in free will, do you? If you can denigrate free will, you can buttress totalitarianism. Congratulations fascist facilitator, you're an idiot.

You said "retarded". There's a clue for me.

Are you asking me if I believe in free will or are you telling me? Oh, no, sorry, you answered your own question by assuming my answer to go on, "If you can denigrate free will....".

Fascist facilitator?

How about this - you instrument of the bourgoisie, do you really believe there's such a thing as freedom in a capitalist society? There is freedom only for those who control the means of production, everyone else is a serf, they just haven't realised it yet.

You said "retarded". There's a clue for me.
Yeah, you can use that in your personal bio on your date site.
Are you asking me if I believe in free will or are you telling me? Oh, no, sorry, you answered your own question by assuming my answer to go on, "If you can denigrate free will....".

Fascist facilitator?
Which word don't you know? Is the alliteration throwing you off?
How about this - you instrument of the bourgoisie, do you really believe there's such a thing as freedom in a capitalist society? There is freedom only for those who control the means of production, everyone else is a serf, they just haven't realised it yet.

Relatively, yes.

What is everyone in a communist system? Equal? If you believe that you're a total moron.

Because it's not an illusion. It may not exist in a "complete form" in any society, but it exists in varying degrees, and is thus, a real concept.

And please don't start with "are you free enough to fly with your own arms, and eat poison and live? If you can't do those things, then freedom is an illusion". I'm just waiting to see which asinine variation of that argument you go for.

Because it's not an illusion. It may not exist in a "complete form" in any society, but it exists in varying degrees, and is thus, a real concept.

And please don't start with "are you free enough to fly with your own arms, and eat poison and live? If you can't do those things, then freedom is an illusion". I'm just waiting to see which asinine variation of that argument you go for.

Can you visit Cuba without permission?

If we could would that be freedom? If that would be freedom, then freedom must exist. Wouldn't you agree? We can visit canada.

"Can you visit cuba?" is nearly as stupid as "can you eat poison and live?"

I asked it for a reason. Can you visit Cuba without permission from your government? Yes or no?

I asked it for a reason. Can you visit Cuba without permission from your government? Yes or no?

No. But that does not mean freedom doesn't exist. Your argument is stupid, as predicted. The existence of freedom hinges on going to cuba, for you. That's moronic.

BTW, "If we could...." implies we can't. That's an answer. Learn to read more effectively.

So you can't visit Cuba without your government's permission. Does that mean your freedom is limited somewhat?

Back