Fuck You

ehhhh grunge had roots in punk but also roots in the indie scene of the day. I would actually say bands like green day etc are more about the commercialization of punk. Grunge was influenced by punk but I wouldn't call it punks direct descendant. Nirvana for example was heavily heavily heavily influenced by the pixies and they were a punkish/indieish/alt rock band back then. Grunge was just this perfect storm of everything coming together. And 95% of it basically sucked. Nirvana was like the only band out of the 90's I like.

Grunge was a return to the roots of rock.

Punk was too.

Disco was a money crank from the very begining.

I was there dude and you were in diapers

ehhhh grunge had roots in punk but also roots in the indie scene of the day. I would actually say bands like green day etc are more about the commercialization of punk. Grunge was influenced by punk but I wouldn't call it punks direct descendant. Nirvana for example was heavily heavily heavily influenced by the pixies and they were a punkish/indieish/alt rock band back then. Grunge was just this perfect storm of everything coming together. And 95% of it basically sucked. Nirvana was like the only band out of the 90's I like.
Everytime I hear Greenday called Punk I want to break something. The Ramones were punk, the Dead Kennedy's are punk, The Circle Jerks, The Sex Pistols and M.D.C. are also good representatives of Punk. Greenday is what punk sounds like when three emo kids put on some eye liner and pretend to be hardcore.

Grunge was a return to the roots of rock.

Punk was too.

Disco was a money crank from the very begining.

I was there dude and you were in diapers

you pretty much didn't disagree with anything I said. In fact you just basically conceded to what I stated. Punk obviously influenced grunge to some extent but really grunge borrowed from more areas than just punk and can't really be considered a direct descendant in sound or even in cases structure. You have to look to pop punk for that. A band like green day is a prime example. THEY were the commercialized punk. And green day doesn't really sound much like nirvana at all. Some grunge bands even had more metalish backgrounds. I.e. alice in chains. The point is, grunge borrowed from a lot of different sources. Much more so than it's pop-punk counterpart, which is very obviously the direct descendant of the punk scene.

Also I was into music at a very young age, much younger than my peers. I grew up in seattle, I was immersed in that whole scene since the start of my life essentially.

Everytime I hear Greenday called Punk I want to break something. The Ramones were punk, the Dead Kennedy's are punk, The Circle Jerks, The Sex Pistols and M.D.C. are also good representatives of Punk. Greenday is what punk sounds like when three emo kids put on some eye liner and pretend to be hardcore.

dude, i agree with you. I was discussing them in the context of "commercialized punk" - which is, in fact, what they are.

Green Day rocks. But the early 90s saw some super great songs such as:

Black Hole Sun
Creep
Karma Police
In Bloom
Come As You Are
It Smells Like Teen Spirit
Fell on Black Days
Spoonman
Lithium
Polly
Even Flow
Jeremy

That's pretty much my list of best grunge songs. Not a huge Pearl Jam fan, as you can see.

My twisted like for disco is that I like dance music when I am at the club. Some techno dance and disco is great on the radio, but at the club it is kickass.

Green Day rocks. But the early 90s saw some super great songs such as:

Black Hole Sun - ok
Creep - lame radiohead song.
Karma Police - awesome radiohead song.
In Bloom - :good4u:
Come As You Are - most overrated nirvana song.
It Smells Like Teen Spirit - second most overrated song, but i don't hate people for liking it.

Fell on Black Days - this song reminds me of seattle

Spoonman - meh
Lithium - cool nirvana song, bit overplayed
Polly - again, not my fav nirvana stuff, but i like it
Even Flow - awful (but i hate pearl jam so i am biased)
Jeremy - see above
:awesome:

Yeah, Pearl Jam mostly sucks. Their best song is not even grunge, but alternative (Last Kiss).

How the fuck can you not like Creep, though? As for Nirvana, I think you can spot a poser if they are only familiar with It Smells Like Teen Spirit. Its good, but there are better ones, and In Bloom is their best song ever. Nirvana is the most solid grunge band, because they have the most good songs. Soundgarden has the best, in Black Hole Sun, but after that it starts to go downhill. Radiohead is all over the board in trying to sound different, and Karma Police will always be the song that defines them to most people.

Yeah, Pearl Jam mostly sucks. Their best song is not even grunge, but alternative (Last Kiss).

How the fuck can you not like Creep, though? As for Nirvana, I think you can spot a poser if they are only familiar with It Smells Like Teen Spirit. Its good, but there are better ones, and In Bloom is their best song ever. Nirvana is the most solid grunge band, because they have the most good songs. Soundgarden has the best, in Black Hole Sun, but after that it starts to go downhill. Radiohead is all over the board in trying to sound different, and Karma Police will always be the song that defines them to most people.
Of this Genre my favorite album is the Temple of the Dog album. Great combination of musicians and vocalists.

Indie and alternative actually used to be the same genre. Commercial rock has actual just been feeding off the underground for the past 20 years because everyone knows that this entire genre has pretty much run its course.

Back