Getting into shape...

Cancel10

Independent Thinker
In just the past 6 months, I've gained almost 50 pounds. This hasn't hurt my success with the ladies at all; on the contrary, it has improved dramatically. That having been said, if I continue on my present course I'm going to become a fat bastard. Nobody likes that. Also, heart disease runs in the family.

So, basically I need some advice on how to get into shape.

I used to jog every morning - I was a stick figure. I don't want to be like that again. I'd rather bulk up. Any thoughts?

In just the past 6 months, I've gained almost 50 pounds. This hasn't hurt my success with the ladies at all; on the contrary, it has improved dramatically. That having been said, if I continue on my present course I'm going to become a fat bastard. Nobody likes that. Also, heart disease runs in the family.

I used to jog every morning - I was a stick figure. I don't want to be like that again. I'd rather bulk up. Any thoughts?

I would recommend Matt Fury's workouts. They are simple to learn and will build your strength and stamina better than any weight workout I have ever seen.

I have been doing them for several months, and the results have been excellent.

1. Create a calorie deficit in your diet so that you'll maintain or start losing weight.

2. Do some sort of heavy lifting, or another muscle building exercise.

If you merely increase your muscle without having a low bodyfat percentage, you won't have as much muscle definition, and you'll probably just look fat rather than built. But whatever.

And of course you're going to have to stick to these things for years and never give up, which is where most people will fail.

1. Create a calorie deficit in your diet so that you'll maintain or start losing weight.

If you merely increase your muscle without having a low bodyfat percentage, you won't have as much muscle definition, and you'll probably just look fat rather than built. But whatever.

And of course you're going to have to stick to these things for years and never give up, which is where most people will fail.

Building a solid physique is hard work, but maintaining it is not nearly as hard. If you only want to maintain the current level of muscular development, you'll only need one or two workouts a week.

As much as it pains me, have to agree with WM. I've lost 40 lbs, by walking, free weights, swimming. I've cut my calories to about 1200, some days more, some less. I'm female, males lucky bastards, can deal with 2000.

Building a solid physique is hard work, but maintaining it is not nearly as hard. If you only want to maintain the current level of muscular development, you'll only need one or two workouts a week.

Yeah you're right.

But it takes longer than most people are willing to put up with anyway.

I'm just trying to point out that 50 pounds in a year is a rather large rise, and if he doesn't change his eating pattern (or do lots and lots of exercise, which is going to take lots and lots of time) he's going to keep going in that direction and it isn't going to matter how much muscle he has.

I've been steadily getting more and more out of shape over the past couple of years. Currently, I'm going to a gym with my roommate to try and get back on track. Most important thing is aerobic fitness though, so you're going to have to do some running.

This shows you how much calories you have to be using to lose or maintain weight:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

To stop getting fat you just need to get a handle on how many calories you're consuming and burning. IMHO, it really doesn't matter what kind of calorie you cut, as long as you are cutting them (this is how fad diets try to draw people in, by pinpointing one type of calorie source, like fat, carbohydrates, or proteins and saying its quick and easy to eliminate that. That's unhealthy. You should try to keep a balanced spread of calorie sources and reduce them all equally). Since you are trying to build muscle, you'll also have to calculate how much that type of exercise burns calories. But I doubt you're going to be able to do it on exercise alone, because it's time consuming.

You can see about exercises here though:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm

Just concentrate on the ones that also build man muscles, and try to equalize the calories you're taking in to what the chart said, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Muscle mass will burn more calories just sitting still. So building muscles will help reduce fat % somewhat.

That said, some sort of aerobic exercise is important to good health.

Three sorts of exercise would be best.

1. Aerobic
2. Anaerobic
3. Stretching

1. Running, swimming, bicycling, or whatever you can do.

2. Weight training is good, but I believe the Fury methods are actually better in many ways. Plus you don't have to join anything or buy any weights. Your own body is the weight.

3. I recommend Tai Chi or a good Yoga program. These will help your body make the most of what you do to it and give it.

I said that you have to calculate exercise into your equation. But I just think that he should reduce his eating as well if he doesn't have enough time for all that exercise.

I didn't mention aerobics because he said he wasn't really looking to lose weight, just maintain his current one and build muscle. Weight lifting may be preferable, but their are a number of methods (like, presumably, the fury method) that allow you to lift your own bodyweight instead, and that's just a lot easier and cheaper.

I said that you have to calculate exercise into your equation. But I just think that he should reduce his eating as well if he doesn't have enough time for all that exercise.

I didn't mention aerobics because he said he wasn't really looking to lose weight, just maintain his current one and build muscle. Weight lifting may be preferable, but their are a number of methods (like, presumably, the fury method) that allow you to lift your own bodyweight instead, and that's just a lot easier and cheaper.

Anyone has time for what I suggested. If he can do the weight training or body weight exercises, he can throw in an extra 20 or 30 minutes for yoga. And that can be done at the end of the day as well, to help get a better night sleep.

Anyone has time for what I suggested.

Why are you getting so defensive?

You haven't calculated whether or not it's enough for weight maintenance, that's all. If he's put on 50 pounds in a year, he's running a serious calorie surplus\. IMHO, it requires a change in diet as well as exercise.

Last edited:
Why are you getting so defensive?

You haven't calculated whether or not it's enough for weight maintenance, that's all. If he's put on 50 pounds in a year, he's running a serious calorie surplus\. IMHO, it requires a change in diet as well as exercise.

I agree that he should have a good diet. But he never said anything about his diet being bad. He also didn't ask for help with his diet.

I am not defensive. I was merely pointing out that time is not really an issue. It might make a handy excuse, but its not really the reason.

my advice is find a sport you like playing.
Golf - walking, not drinking beer in the cart
Tennis - you mentioned ladies, lots of them play
soccor - ever see a fat soccor player
Flag football,
weights are great but if you didn't do any as a teen or 20 something bulking up is doable but tougher

Wear a popeye shirt to hide the extra pounds, also detract from your own weight gain by then slamming regular Americans for being fat and not like those superior Europeans.

I never felt a need to go to a gym, I have my $20 used rowing machine I bought years ago that works all parts of my body and between that and chasing/looking after the kids I am still in great shape and have plenty of energy.
I also have always avoided a lot of fat, like butter and fatty meats, not because of dieting or something, I just don't like the taste. If food is boring, try making it spicy instead of fatty.

I never felt a need to go to a gym, I have my $20 used rowing machine I bought years ago that works all parts of my body and between that and chasing/looking after the kids I am still in great shape and have plenty of energy.
I also have always avoided a lot of fat, like butter and fatty meats, not because of dieting or something, I just don't like the taste. If food is boring, try making it spicy instead of fatty.

I probably would have said the same in my 20's or 30's. Now, the one thing I've not cut from my budget is my gym membership. Other than walking the dog, when I can't get my 'kids' to do so, I'd get little exercise. I walk an hour, free weight and bike a 1/2 hour, swim 1/2 hour. Then relax in steam and sauna. Worth every penny. Since it's an 'upscale' gym, their shampoo/conditioner, lotion are as good or better than mine. ;)

Back