Muhammad Ali
Rocky Marciano
Jim Corbett
Sugar Ray Robinson (WW)
Sugar Ray Leonard (WW)
Roberto Duran (LW)

Last edited:

You left out Michael Jordan.

Not only the greatest basketball player ever, but FAR more influential and famous than 99% of the other guys on your list.

Cypress said:

Not only the greatest basketball player ever, but FAR more influential and famous than 99% of the other guys on your list.

I know.. I wanted to see who would be the first to catch it .... 20 more grind points for you Cypress! :clink:

Cypress said:

But ... Wilt and Bill were pretty influential as well ...

I'd put in the only 3 boxers to win 3 Olympic golds- Teofilo Stevenson (who likely would have won a 4th but for the boycott of LA) and Felix Savon, from Cuba, together with Laszlo Papp from Hungary.

Football (American)

Joe Montana
Jim Rice
Jim Brown
Lawrence Taylor
Johnny Unitas
Reggie White
Tom Brady

Baseball

Babe Ruth
Mark Mgwire
Ted Williams
Joe Dimaggio
Hank Aaron
Micky Mantle
Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Basketball
Jordon
Bill Russell
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Shaq
Kareem Jabbar
Dr. J
Moses Malone

Boxing
Muhammad Ali
Rocky Marciano
Jack Dempsey
Joe Louis
Ray Mancini
Livingston Bramble
Sugar Ray Robinson (WW)
Sugar Ray Leonard (WW)
Roberto Duran (LW)

klaatu said:
But ... Wilt and Bill were pretty influential as well ...

Russel and Chamberlin were surrounded by talent.

Jordan was a one-man show. He carried the Bulls to six championships. The bulls supporting talent was way over rated.

Look at how well the allegedly "awesome" scottie pippen fared, without jordon in the mix.

Pete Maravich was another one I missed . ....

Russell had an Allstar team around him.... that much is for sure. Wilt ... in his 2 Championship years.... made the players around him much, much better ....

One of the big myths about Wilt ... many claim his dominance was due to the era that he played in .. because of his height he had a tremendous advantage ..., not true. If it were, these 7ft 7 guys that come around would have a greater height advantage ...and none of them dominate the way Wilt did, dont even come close, not one iota. There were gifted Centers around in his day that stood 6ft 10, 6ft 11, Nate Thurmand and Walt Bellemy come to mind. Wilt was a great athlete ....

Who is Jim Rice? You mean Jerry?

You need an offensive lineman, so Anthony Munoz.

Baseball add NOLAN RYAN (how the hell can you miss that one), Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Cy Young, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb.

Boxers Larry Holmes and George Foreman.

RStringfield said:
Who is Jim Rice? You mean Jerry?

You need an offensive lineman, so Anthony Munoz.

Baseball add NOLAN RYAN (how the hell can you miss that one), Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Cy Young, Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb.

Boxers Larry Holmes and George Foreman.

Damn... , I meant Jerry alright ... good catch....

No argument with Munoz ...

Im glad you brought up Nolan Ryan .. a great Pitcher no doubt.. but I would not include him amongst my alltime top 10.. or maybe even 15. This is why ... now he did something no other Pitcher ever did striking out over 5700 and throwing 7 no hitters.. that alone puts him in the Hall of Fame.
And his longevity was remarkable-- 27 years! But his winning percentage was not impressive... 324-292 with only 2 20 win seasons in which he also lost 16.. You cant blame all of it on Pitching for bad teams.. he pitched for many good teams. Compare him to Tom Seaver who pitched during the same era ... Tom went 311-205 in 20 years with 5 20 win seasons. Or Jim Palmer who went 268-152 in 19 years with 6 season of 20 or more wins.
In my opinion there are several Pitchers from his era that I would rate higher ... Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, Catfish Hunter, Steve Carlton and Fergie Jenkins. Fergie Jenkins is a real good example of what I am talking about... 7 time 20 game winner, 6 were with a perrenial celler dweller club.

Gretatest Sports figures of Alltime

Since the thread title doesn't specify "american" sports, Pele or some other soccer superstars should be in here.

Pele is far more recognizable worldwide than Wilt Chamberlin.

Cypress said:
Gretatest Sports figures of Alltime

Since the thread title doesn't specify "american" sports, Pele or some other soccer superstars should be in here.

Pele is far more recognizable worldwide than Wilt Chamberlin.

Besides Pele .. go ahead and be my guest.... list them.

I wont because Im not a soccer fan ....

List some NASCAR legends as well ... and how about Tennis?

Bjorn Borg
Jimmy Conners
John Mcenroe

Bowling .... who can forget Don Carter?

Golf ... how about this great International Sport? Was there any greater than the Golden Bear himself?

Besides Pele .. go ahead and be my guest.... list them.

George Best, Bobby Moore, Eusibio, Johan Cruyff, Maradona...

Back