Grind's Important Statement of the Day

my boyfriends parents wasted money on his sister's education. she got some useless general studies degree and has had jobs that DO NOT require a degree. That was a nice chunk of retirement savings they lost. As a matter of fact she's thinking about beign a teacher and will have to back. So not worth it.

i had to talk my father into pushing my younger sister into getting a minor in marketing. she was going to major in psychology and minor in something useless. The psychology/marketing got her a good job in a creative marketing department of a major corporation with good benefits. minus the business classes no chance.

So thats always an option as well.

i had to talk my father into pushing my younger sister into getting a minor in marketing. she was going to major in psychology and minor in something useless. The psychology/marketing got her a good job in a creative marketing department of a major corporation with good benefits. minus the business classes no chance.

So thats always an option as well.

yup.

you need to major in something marketable. my mom kept pushing me to do that it turned out very well. She basically made me double major in Bio and Engineering. Boy oh boy did mom know what she was talking about.

Lemme see if I got this right: Based on the opinions and theories expressed by LadyT and Chap, no one in their right mind should ever major in education...it's just not worth the money spent.

yup.

you need to major in something marketable. my mom kept pushing me to do that it turned out very well. She basically made me double major in Bio and Engineering. Boy oh boy did mom know what she was talking about.

I'm double majoring English and Engineering. Derivatives are fun, bitches, and Hemingway could kick your sorry ass.

Lemme see if I got this right: Based on the opinions and theories expressed by LadyT and Chap, no one in their right mind should ever major in education...it's just not worth the money spent.

teachers make 50k a year. plenty of schools that cost less. thats a solid education.

?

I never said that.

You can get a great job with good bennies in education.

Well, I don’t want to sound like the martyr, but not everything is about making money. you should do what you love. If you can do what you love, you are going to have a better life than 90% of the people in this country. Imagine waking up and dreading work, day after day, month after month, year after year. Imagine just robotically getting through life, until you are 50’ish and you realized it passed you by, and then you think you’re going to get a divorce and buy a red sports car, and live. But you’re not going to.

There is nothing like doing what you love.

And what of those people who major in art and music and go on to make way more their first year than most people could make in 10? I actually majored in music and got an education certification on the side. If I had gone the performance route and weathered the auditions I could have landed a job in a symphony orchestra, ballet, commercial music, or even just taught lessons. The first three would have netted over 80k my first year, and I was already making $40 an hour teaching private lessons.

My point is that, with any major, a person who has the drive and motivation can get out there and do well...even with the "elective" majors.

And what of those people who major in art and music and go on to make way more their first year than most people could make in 10? I actually majored in music and got an education certification on the side. If I had gone the performance route and weathered the auditions I could have landed a job in a symphony orchestra, ballet, commercial music, or even just taught lessons. The first three would have netted over 80k my first year, and I was already making $40 an hour teaching private lessons.

My point is that, with any major, a person who has the drive and motivation can get out there and do well...even with the "elective" majors

I can't argue with that b/c yes, its true, if you're determined you can do anything. My kid would need a practical and excutable plan to make a decent living if I was ever going to fork over $40k/yr for them to major in art or trombone playing.

My point is that, with any major, a person who has the drive and motivation can get out there and do well...even with the "elective" majors.

Are you very talented? Like 5% in texas for music when you were in school?

reason i ask is that if you have a certain skill or talent then sure it makes sense but if your just an average person who is spending tons of money to go to school then at least get a good deal for your money.

Well, I don’t want to sound like the martyr, but not everything is about making money. you should do what you love. If you can do what you love, you are going to have a better life than 90% of the people in this country. Imagine waking up and dreading work, day after day, month after month, year after year. Imagine just robotically getting through life, until you are 50’ish and you realized it passed you by, and then you think you’re going to get a divorce and buy a red sports car, and live. But you’re not going to.

so do you love going to work every day? I dont like work but i dont hate it either. i dont dread going in.. and i know that feeling as i have been in bad situations before but then just changed jobs.

I work to live not live to work.

I can't argue with that b/c yes, its true, if you're determined you can do anything. My kid would need a practical and excutable plan to make a decent living if I was ever going to fork over $40k/yr for them to major in art or trombone playing.

LMAO

My oboe playing is what paid for my school. There are TONS of scholarships out there for music majors, and then they can make great money teaching private lessons on top of it. I don't know how that would work for art though.

Go ahead and encourage that trombone playing!! Just buy earplugs the first year of learning lol.

My oboe playing is what paid for my school. There are TONS of scholarships out there for music majors, and then they can make great money teaching private lessons on top of it. I don't know how that would work for art though.

Go ahead and encourage that trombone playing!! Just buy earplugs the first year of learning lol.

well there yah go. u used musical talent to get a teaching job. That works. And if you got a scholarship then you must be great.

Darla, the only job I am ever going to find fun is writing, and I can do that perfectly well while I'm making money. And hell, if everything I ever write sucks, I'll have money AND I'll be having fun writing suck shit.

Back