Guess which poster I am

It IS paedophelia, you can call it cultural paedophelia if you want, but it still is paedophelia.

Just like if you were to happen upon a tribe in Papua New Guinea where they practice Cannibalism as part of their culture, as you observed them eating human parts you wouldn't say:
"Hey that isn't cannibalism, it's just their culture."
It can be both.

pedophilia [pee-duh-fil-ee-uh]
–noun Psychiatry. sexual desire in an adult for a child.

the act in question had nothing to do with Sex or desire. You are wrong.....again...ho hum

:)
Nice little dance there Damo.
Whatever. The idea that some lady who isn't running's book about lesbianism was the same as the spin from the other side is exactly what we were discussing. At least that is what I was discussing.

And I was discussing that neither book had anything to do with anything.
Your turn to lead for the next tune.

I agree with maineman on this. I would certainly consider such an act in the context of american culture pedo phelia because we don't have any cultural practices or habits that include such an act (in a non se xual way of course). The fact that it is a widely practiced as normal as a pat on the head and doesn't infer any kind of sexual inuendo in their culture excludes from being considered pedo philia. By definition pedo philia infers sex uality. If that is indeed the context of the passage from the book.

I haven't read it and quite honestly that passage did gross me out.

I agree with maineman on this. I would certainly consider such an act in the context of american culture pedo phelia because we don't have any cultural practices or habits that include such an act (in a non se xual way of course). The fact that it is a widely practiced as normal as a pat on the head and doesn't infer any kind of sexual inuendo in their culture excludes from being considered pedo philia. By definition pedo philia infers sex uality. If that is indeed the context of the passage from the book.

I haven't read it and quite honestly that passage did gross me out.
There is a case, in Nevada I believe, where a mother from Cambodia did this and is getting tried for pedophilia.

Well, its hard for us to really get comfortable around something like this (I donn't think that we necessarily should), because we have no references other than sex ual when it involves such an act.

That's actually an interesting case. Although, I think I'd have to side with the prosecution on this one. We are in the US, and I think allowing something like this to go would open the door legally for a lot more child predators.

Back