Hannah Gadsby’s Picasso Show Was Meant to Ignite Debate. And It Did.

BidenPresident

Verified User
But others view the show as a gimmick that should have been avoided. “The museum has better things to do than to make the case for women artists by beating up on Picasso,” the art historian Robert Storr said. “Being anti-Picasso is so easy — it doesn’t get to any of the underlining structural issues. What’s needed is a critique of institutional sexism, not the targeting of one long-dead artist who’s no longer making art.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/09/arts/design/hannah-gadsby-picasso-brooklyn-museum-debate.html

"The exhibition incorporates clips from “Nanette,” as well as wall text by Gadsby with quips such as, “Art history taught me that, historically, women didn’t have time to think thoughts — they were too busy napping naked alone in a forest.” Next to the etching on paper “Sculptor and Model Looking at Herself, 1933,” the comic writes: “Alternative title: ‘If I angle the mirror to reflect the sun, I can burn your face off. Look at my penis.’”

I wish that art museums would display more great art like Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light. That's real art. I don't think anyone would find it controversial in any way and there would be no need for these type of critiques.

I wish that art museums would display more great art like Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light. That's real art. I don't think anyone would find it controversial in any way and there would be no need for these type of critiques.

The left will whine about anything

Kindaid is schlock for dumb people.

Margaret Keane is another great artist that isn't displayed in enough art museums. I know she got a bit of a bump after the movie came out a few years back, but you'd be hard pressed to find a Keane retrospective at MOMA, the Louvre, the Prado or any of those other exclusionary art museums. All art deserves to be appreciated.

But others view the show as a gimmick that should have been avoided. “The museum has better things to do than to make the case for women artists by beating up on Picasso,” the art historian Robert Storr said. “Being anti-Picasso is so easy — it doesn’t get to any of the underlining structural issues. What’s needed is a critique of institutional sexism, not the targeting of one long-dead artist who’s no longer making art.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/09/arts/design/hannah-gadsby-picasso-brooklyn-museum-debate.html

It is a REAL shame, though, that ANYONE would EVER insult art. If someone doesn't like an artists' work they should just be quiet. There is NO ROLE for iconoclasm in art.

I largely feel the same way about Picasso's later work after he drifted over into Cubism. Sure, it's art, but not everyone's cup of tea. Taste in art is pretty subjective.

Think about how we talk about taste. It is the sensation of how our mouth and tongue respond to food or drink. So, spicy food might taste good for one person and be too hot for another person.
We do not put a painting in our mouth, right? But we discriminate between food that is too hot and food that is poorly prepared.

How is that relevant to art and painting? The subjectivity is how you experience it through sensation and thought. But we make judgments about the object which are not merely determined by our sensations.

It is a REAL shame, though, that ANYONE would EVER insult art. If someone doesn't like an artists' work they should just be quiet. There is NO ROLE for iconoclasm in art.

Absolutely disagree. It is very good to be critical and make judgements of better and worse. Articulate the standard of evaluation. That is what art is for.

I don't like Kinkade at all, He's obviously very good--I can see that--but liking things is subjective.
I'm not interested into a peek at the artist's soul, either.
It's OK to do that to be sure. I'm just not that much of a people person, perhaps. I don't know.

When it comes to visual art, I like what makes the prettiest decoration.
That's certainly not the only way to appreciate art--I'm not suggesting that it is or should be.
It is, however, my way.

Back