Headaches

The nitrites in red wine have been implicated in migraine headaches. People who are susceptible should, unfortunately, avoid red wines. Wine coolers apparently are high in nitrites as well (I've never had one though, so don't know anything more about them).

Do you have a similar problem with mixed drinks? If not, that would probably rule out ingredients like sugar, which has been suggested as a possible culprit.

This definitely sounds like a sensitivity, not a hangover. Too bad! I love a good red wine so you have my sympathy!

Thorn, I had forgotten all about that. Good post! Red wine is a migraine trigger for me, but I didn't think she was asking about migraines.

Glad to see we have at least one smart person around.

Short glass, a couple of ice cubes, a double of Dimple Pinch and a splash of water. It's like medicine. BUT... drink it with water. Straight is ok but a little water on the side enhances the smooth taste.

I get really bad hangovers and limit myself to 3 beers or 2 mixed drinks. But with The Dimple I can sip all nite, get a good buzz and only feel kinda numb the next day.

http://www.bevmax.com/sku2279.html

Short glass, a couple of ice cubes, a double of Dimple Pinch and a splash of water. It's like medicine. BUT... drink it with water. Straight is ok but a little water on the side enhances the smooth taste.

I get really bad hangovers and limit myself to 3 beers or 2 mixed drinks. But with The Dimple I can sip all nite, get a good buzz and only feel kinda numb the next day.

http://www.bevmax.com/sku2279.html

That's blended -- give me a small The Macallan, or Laphroaig, neat, any day. No ice, no water. Just don't try to drink it if you're thirsty!

That's blended -- give me a small The Macallan, or Laphroaig, neat, any day. No ice, no water. Just don't try to drink it if you're thirsty!

Its hot here in AZ. Real hot, so put 2 shots of decent scotch in a 12 oz water bottle, fill 3/4 with water and freeze. Nothing like sucking on an ice cold 'scottchie' around the pool.

Wow Thorn, The Macallan is pretty pricey stuff. But well worth it I bet. The Laphraig 10-15 yr isn't too pricey but the 30 yr stuff is way out of my price range.

Guess I'll have to settle for The Dimple at home and Dewar's at the bar. *sigh*

Its hot here in AZ. Real hot, so put 2 shots of decent scotch in a 12 oz water bottle, fill 3/4 with water and freeze. Nothing like sucking on an ice cold 'scottchie' around the pool.

Wow Thorn, The Macallan is pretty pricey stuff. But well worth it I bet. The Laphraig 10-15 yr isn't too pricey but the 30 yr stuff is way out of my price range.

That's really a special occasion tipple for me, too. I get a bottle usually at Xmas and perhaps for my birthday, but otherwise it's a glass of Merlot at bedtime and spring water the rest of the time. I wouldn't want to have the single malt all the time; it would take away the specialness of it. This way I really enjoy it.

PS It's really hot here in the Tx panhandle, too, but not as hot as where you are! :)

Thorn, I had forgotten all about that. Good post! Red wine is a migraine trigger for me, but I didn't think she was asking about migraines.

Glad to see we have at least one smart person around

LOL I know....she always chimes in with great info.

She is a gem. And now I read that she has a great voice too?

Wow, it just boggles the mind. But then, I am told you have quite a voice as well, Milady T.

:shock:

She is a gem. And now I read that she has a great voice too?

Wow, it just boggles the mind. But then, I am told you have quite a voice as well, Milady T.

:shock:

She's pretty classy about when she pwns someone too. Very admirable.

No, I don't have a nice voice. If I don't try to control it, I sound like a kid.

She's pretty classy about when she pwns someone too. Very admirable.

No, I don't have a nice voice. If I don't try to control it, I sound like a kid.

I appreciate your modesty. What Darla said was "I know what Tiana sounds like. She definitely sounds good.".

I am certain you aren't telling me that Darla lied.

She already has you set up for her phone sex business she is going to start. She is sending you all the deviants. (like sex on the phone isn't already a bit deviant)

The nitrites in red wine have been implicated in migraine headaches. People who are susceptible should, unfortunately, avoid red wines. Wine coolers apparently are high in nitrites as well (I've never had one though, so don't know anything more about them).

Do you have a similar problem with mixed drinks? If not, that would probably rule out ingredients like sugar, which has been suggested as a possible culprit.

This definitely sounds like a sensitivity, not a hangover. Too bad! I love a good red wine so you have my sympathy!

:( This makes me so sad!! I LOVE a good red wine...always have. I tend to go for the cabernets and red zins because of the complexity, but these headaches have hindered me lately. I do suffer from migranes, but these wine headaches are a new development.

:( This makes me so sad!! I LOVE a good red wine...always have. I tend to go for the cabernets and red zins because of the complexity, but these headaches have hindered me lately. I do suffer from migranes, but these wine headaches are a new development.

Sorry about that Meg. Try and find a red wine that doesn't have the nitrites like the lesser wines do.

Maybe it'll help.

HAHA you and I share the same taste. I prefer Aberlour 12 yr or the Balvenie but I use 1 ice cube and no water. And btw I get no headache there.

Wow I have never tried it that way, but sounds awesome for those hot days in Austin. And like you, at the bar I go for the dewars reserve because it's affordable. Who wants to pay $25 for one jigger of a single malt?

Sorry about that Meg. Try and find a red wine that doesn't have the nitrites like the lesser wines do.

Maybe it'll help.

I'm not sure it's an aspect of the quality of the wine, but could be. I'm trying to recall whether nitrites may function as preservatives, or if they're simply endemic to reds. What a shame! White wine just doesn't have the same quality of taste, smoothness, body, and satisfaction that reds do. My favorite is a nice smooth Merlot.

Sorry, Meg! You probably have problems with chocolate too, right?

I'm not sure it's an aspect of the quality of the wine, but could be. I'm trying to recall whether nitrites may function as preservatives, or if they're simply endemic to reds. What a shame! White wine just doesn't have the same quality of taste, smoothness, body, and satisfaction that reds do. My favorite is a nice smooth Merlot.

I used to strictly be a red wine drinker.

I can't get enough of pino grigio's now~!

Actually yes I do. I love chocolate too but often get headaches after...especially the darks...which I enjoy with my single malts.

And I don't think it has to do with the quality. I stick with the wines that I have always loved...Ravenswood has a nice zin (not vintners tho) and the Hess Collection Cabernet (96) is my absolute favorite.

Back