Hezbollah Democrats

You are using dictionary.com as your source...lol The most simplisitic dictionary available? Compare that with the Oxford University dictionary.

By your method of definitions, a cat can be described as a dog.

A dog shares many of the characteristics of a cat, it has fur, claws and a tail.

But the defining charcteristics are different.

Same with this situation.

Being authoritarian, oppressive, dictatorial and expansionist doesn't define you as fascist because they are characteristics of other ideologies, Soviet Communism, Monarchism etc etc.

What differentiates fascism from these is the nationalistic tendencies involved. These tendencies aren't characterised in ideologies such as monarchism, communism, theocracy etc.

And I am not 'redefining the word'. The definitions compared are from:

a. The most simplistic dictionary on the net. and
b. The standard dictionary of the English language, and it's political dictionary arm.

[/B]

I am using it to show that a new colloquialism can be supported. You are the one ignoring an actual dictionary attempting to seek out one that agrees with you without regard to realistic understandings...

I used a dictionary, one that uses Webster's as a source, you prefer to ignore it because it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions of what you want a word to mean.

You must be embarrassed. I know I would be if I were in your position attempting to say that etymology for a new colloquialism isn't definsible because it isn't exactly the same as what you want it to mean, then finding out that the definition you were using was inaccurate to begin with...

The new term does not have to match perfectly with any specific definition of a current term. If it did a new term would be unnecessary and redundant. In fact, a new term simply has to meet a new definition, the one that it is supposed to define.

You began from a position of weakness...

That of attempting to say a new word must match perfectly definitions of another word.. That's a rubbish argument and you know it.

Then later we find out the definition you attempt to apply doesn't even perfectly match the definition that you want it to.

Dixie has owned you. You must be embarrassed.

You can't even show where "fascism" is defined the way you need for it to be, to make your point.

Yes, I have.

The Oxford Dictionary and it's political arm. Read the thread numbnuts.

You've not demonstrated this.

I have, in detail, at least four times... Once more for the slow kid...

Being authoritarian, oppressive, dictatorial and expansionist doesn't define you as fascist because they are characteristics of other ideologies, Soviet Communism, Monarchism etc etc.

What differentiates fascism from these is the nationalistic tendencies involved. These tendencies aren't characterised in ideologies such as monarchism, communism, theocracy etc.

Yes, they most certainly are "nationalist" if you consider their warped ideology of Islam to be their "nation."

You can call a cat a fish but it won't swim.

You don't even know what a nation-state is. Fuck's sake Dixie, go back to school.

A religion is not a nation and you cannot define a religion as a nation state.

They are theocrats, they have no interest in the notion of the nation state.

It's a matter of perception, and aside from this, fascism doesn't require a traditional nationalist element, or nationalism

It isn't a matter of perception, or rather perspective. You can play semantics and call Islam a nation-state but that doesn't make it so.

A nationalist element is the defining quality that seperates fascism from other authoritarian, oppressive and dictatorial ideology.

Yes, a FASCIST theocracy... hence the name; ISLAMOFASCIST!

Damn you are slow. It isn't fascist, unless you redefine the term nation-state to mean religion.

Socrates would be spinning in his grave listening to you Dixie.

A right-wing nationalist ideology or movement with a totalitarian and hierarchical structure that is fundamentally opposed to democracy and liberalism.

"A right-wing nationalist ideology or movement"

There's nothing remotely "nationalist" about the al qaeda movement. Its the opposite - entirely pan-nationalist

I am using it to show that a new colloquialism can be supported.

It isn't supported. The argument that these people are fascist revolves around the notion that they are authoritarian, oppressive, dictatorial and expansionist. (and now Dixie's notion that a religion can be deemed a nation state)

These characteristics aren't fascistic in themselves, they are shared by Monarchies, Soviet Communism, Theocracies etc etc.

What differentiates these ideologies from fascism is fascism's element of nationalism (that means the supremecy of the nation state).

That isn't found with the people we are discussing. They have no interest in the nation state, they over-ride the nation state with the notion of a theocratic empire.

This negates the notion that they are fascist.

You can say any missplaced term is 'colloquial', but in the realm of politics we have no room for colloqualisms.

We need Socratic clarity in definition.

used a dictionary, one that uses Webster's as a source, you prefer to ignore it because it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions of what you want a word to mean.

I gave you the definition from the Oxford dictionary and from the Oxford political dictionary... and you gave me dictionary.com. Roflmao!

You must be embarrassed. I know I would be if I were in your position attempting to say that etymology for a new colloquialism isn't definsible because it isn't exactly the same as what you want it to mean,

Have you, like Dixie, taken up the debating tactic of simply ignoring what the other poster has written and then declaring yourself champion?

It doesn't fit with the dictionary definition that is used as standard for the English language. Not Dictionary.com, the simplistic child's dictionary.

The new term does not have to match perfectly with any specific definition of a current term. If it did a new term would be unnecessary and redundant. In fact, a new term simply has to meet a new definition, the one that it is supposed to define.

It has to accurately define what is is symbolising. You have simply ignored what I have written explaining why it doesn't define it accurately.

That of attempting to say a new word must match perfectly definitions of another word.. That's a rubbish argument and you know it.

Mate, you haven't got an argument, aside from saying 'It's a new word, we can do what we like.'

A term must define what it symbolises. Islamofascism doesn't. I have explained why in this thread. Read it.

A weak debating tactic. Ignore your opponents argument (which you have done. You haven't ONCE addressed my argument, you have merely stated that it is a new word and that the definitions of it's contributary words have no meaning. You haven't addressed once the common characteristics shared with other ideologies that you are attributing to 'Islamicfascism') and declare yourself the winner.

Dixie hasn't owned me, he has used his usual weak debating tactics... ignore opponents posts (as have you) and repeated his statement ad nausium.

Please, read through the posts again.

I know this is difficult stuff to comprehend but a little effort would be appreciated.

Once again, if you apply that terminology of "nationalism" to the religion itself it does match rather well.

Remembering that etymology of new colloquialisms never is perfectly matching, if it was no new word would be created, we can see how this can fit into and why a new word was created at the same time.

It is silly to say, "This word here that is different than that word doesn't match this other word's definition exactly so it cannot be useful!"

It actually begins to make me laugh. It becomes more and more like another argument about 1/3...

I am using it to show that a new colloquialism can be supported.

It isn't supported. The argument that these people are fascist revolves around the notion that they are authoritarian, oppressive, dictatorial and expansionist. (and now Dixie's notion that a religion can be deemed a nation state).

It can when the religion itelf is a political movement. Where the ideation regards the leader of the church as the only leader discounting all secular government and replacing them with that leader. It is a political movement. A right-wing one...

These characteristics aren't fascistic in themselves, they are shared by Monarchies, Soviet Communism, Theocracies etc etc.

But not quite as right-winged as this particular movement... fascism is more defensible than these others when faced with that tidbit...

What differentiates these ideologies from fascism is fascism's element of nationalism (that means the supremecy of the nation state).

Which, according to the definition is "typical" not "always present"... That you don't want to recognize that doesn't change that it really is there.

That isn't found with the people we are discussing. They have no interest in the nation state, they over-ride the nation state with the notion of a theocratic empire.

They wish to create a new nation-state with their religious leader as the sole government.

This negates the notion that they are fascist.

It does not. The actual definition does not support that nationalism is the sole defining factor of fascism.

You can say any missplaced term is 'colloquial', but in the realm of politics we have no room for colloqualisms.

Bullpucky, colloquialisms are used in every language everywhere. They are part of language. I have not misplaced or misused the term. In this case one portion of the nation appears to use the term regularly another does not, this is a colloquialism...

We need Socratic clarity in definition.
used a dictionary, one that uses Webster's as a source, you prefer to ignore it because it doesn't fit with your preconceived notions of what you want a word to mean.

I gave you the definition from the Oxford dictionary and from the Oxford political dictionary... and you gave me dictionary.com. Roflmao!

Right, specifically to term a new word with. Etymology of new words never is defined strictly by the definition of another word. It is preposterous to say that you can determine the definition of one word as worthless because it doesn't match the definition of another word exactly and perfectly.

If it did there would be no reason for the creation of the new word.... This is particularly the most indefinsible position I have ever seen you take.

One word doesn't exactly match the definition of another and therefore it cannot be a word? Totally and laughably preposterous.

You must be embarrassed. I know I would be if I were in your position attempting to say that etymology for a new colloquialism isn't definsible because it isn't exactly the same as what you want it to mean,

Have you, like Dixie, taken up the debating tactic of simply ignoring what the other poster has written and then declaring yourself champion?

No, I have specifically pointed out to you where you have gone astray and why I would be embarrassed if I were you. You have, however pretty much done what you say here.

It doesn't fit with the dictionary definition that is used as standard for the English language. Not Dictionary.com, the simplistic child's dictionary.

The new word doesn't fit exactly the definition of another word in the OED? Well, DUH! It's because this word is not that other word! You keep trying to make it that other word, and the whole point is that it is not that word and hence the need for the new terminology.

It has to accurately define what is is symbolising. You have simply ignored what I have written explaining why it doesn't define it accurately.

Rubbish, I have pointed out how it does fit, it is you who ignore my points and keep repeating the OED definition of a different word to use to define this one. This is a preposterous argument based solely on what you want the new word to mean, not what it was used to describe.....

Mate, you haven't got an argument, aside from saying 'It's a new word, we can do what we like.'

A term must define what it symbolises. Islamofascism doesn't. I have explained why in this thread. Read it.

We have showed repeatedly that the new term does define what it was meant to and why. So far all you have is that it doesn't perfectly match the definition of a different word! All you keep doing is repeating that it isn't "nationalist" enough.

We have shown:
1. How it could be considered nationalistic if viewed from a different perspective, while recognizing that it is different hence the need to coin the new phrase.
2. How it can apply with secondary as well as primary definitions in a dictionary...
3. How you have agreed with another's usage of that other dictionary before in another thread....
4. How new words do not match definitions exactly with another word, hence the reason they are a DIFFERENT WORD.....

So, go ahead and once again repeat that the OED's very first definition doesn't match what I have stated.... It will only be reiterating an embarrassing position where you argue that this word isn't the same as another....

Make fun of the term, laugh at people who use it, call them christofascists... I'll support you in that. But arguing that this words etymology isn't pure enough is simply laughable.

A weak debating tactic. Ignore your opponents argument (which you have done. You haven't ONCE addressed my argument, you have merely stated that it is a new word and that the definitions of it's contributary words have no meaning. You haven't addressed once the common characteristics shared with other ideologies that you are attributing to 'Islamicfascism') and declare yourself the winner.

Bullpucky, this is once again the repetition fallacy... I won't even bother cutting and pasting my previous response to this "you haven't ONCE addressed" rubbish from previous in this very post....

Dixie hasn't owned me, he has used his usual weak debating tactics... ignore opponents posts (as have you) and repeated his statement ad nausium.

And again, the repetition fallacy is used.... I again will not bother cutting and pasting my previous response...

Please, read through the posts again.

I know this is difficult stuff to comprehend but a little effort would be appreciated.

Yes, follow your own advise...

Since this is again a reiteration of the same repitition fallacy you have used three times before in this same post I will once again give my standard response....

I will not bother cutting and pasting... blah, blah...

Once again, if you apply that terminology of "nationalism" to the religion itself it does match rather well.

How???? Nationalism refers to the nation state. A religion isn't a nation state. Can you not tell the difference between a religion and a nation state?

Remembering that etymology of new colloquialisms never is perfectly matching, if it was no new word would be created, we can see how this can fit into and why a new word was created at the same time.

What? No new word would be created? Rubbish. An accurate word would be created, and if it is a combination term, the two contributory words must at least refer to the entity it symbolises.

Islamic theocrats accurately describes these people. Islamic fascists doesn't.

I have explained why ad nausium. Please read the thread.

It actually begins to make me laugh. It becomes more and more like another argument about 1/3...

Yeah ok. Here's a wacky idea. Why don't you address the points I've brought up, about the characteristics of fascism and the characteristics of these theocrats, instead of just crowing on the sidelines and insisting that you can create any term you goddam like, irrespective of the meaning of words...

Yes it does, YOU read the thread! It has been explained to you, how you are woefully inaccurate and wrong, and yet you stubbornly insist you've made your point, when you simply haven't. We can go back and forth with this "I'm right and your wrong because I say so" shit all day, it doesn't fly. Your completely entitled to have your own wrongheaded opinion on this, no one is arguing that you can't, but to continue to just arrogantly insist that YOU are the only one who can decide what a word means, is just ridiculous.

I am not calling a dog a fish, or making a cat a dog, by stating that radical Islamic fundamentalists, who seek to form a theocratic Caliphate across the middle east, are "fascist" in nature. They most certainly are, by every definition of the word, including your own.

It is silly to say, "This word here that is different than that word doesn't match this other word's definition exactly so it cannot be useful!"

No, it isn't. It's about how much latitude you grant to new colloquialisms before you point out how ridiculous they are.

And no, I'm not even distantly related to Edwin Newman. Strictly speaking, I hate his guts, the sanctimonious prick.

Colloquialisms aren't, by their very nature, well defined. This is true. They will either make their way into the language or they won't. Arguing about it beforehand is rather pointless.

However colorful they may be, they're frequently nonsensical in their derivation. When was the last time you heard someone say "groovy" though? Fashion tends to cast them aside as quickly as it takes them up.

Will people 30 years from now be talking about "Islamofascism?" I sincerely doubt it. Not when other, more appropriate -- and less clumsy -- words already exist.

Right, specifically to term a new word with. Etymology of new words never is defined strictly by the definition of another word. It is preposterous to say that you can determine the definition of one word as worthless because it doesn't match the definition of another word exactly and perfectly.

If it did there would be no reason for the creation of the new word.... This is particularly the most indefinsible position I have ever seen you take.

Excellent point Damo! One that seems to be flying comfortably over Arnold's head.

How???? Nationalism refers to the nation state. A religion isn't a nation state. Can you not tell the difference between a religion and a nation state?

In their particular version of this religion the religion takes the place of the nation-state as the political power of a new nation.... Ignoring the political portion of their stance doesn't make it unrealistic in application.

What? No new word would be created? Rubbish. An accurate word would be created, and if it is a combination term, the two contributory words must at least refer to the entity it symbolises.

Which we have shown that it does. You have simply taken only one definition from a dictionary and attempted to say that this word cannot mean what it has been defined as because it doesn't perfectly match with another word. It is preposterous.

Islamic theocrats accurately describes these people. Islamic fascists doesn't.

I have explained why ad nausium. Please read the thread.

As I have explained why it does ad nauseam. Simply ignoring my points and the fact that I have directly answered your point with a counterpoint doesn't magically make that go away, it just makes you even more repetitive in your fallacy....

Yeah ok. Here's a wacky idea. Why don't you address the points I've brought up, about the characteristics of fascism and the characteristics of these theocrats, instead of just crowing on the sidelines and insisting that you can create any term you goddam like, irrespective of the meaning of words...

LOL. A reiteration once again of the repetition fallacy....

I have actually addressed your points with counterpoints which are ignored to repeat this dribble.

Can you not tell the difference between a religion and a nation state?

Islamofascists are not a religious entity, they have perverted Islam, thus they do not represent a theocratic ideology, rather a barbaric and evil ideology of hate and racism. They seek to authoritatively force this belief onto the rest of the world through terrorism, which makes them clearly "fascist" in the second most used connotation of the word. When you replace traditional "nationalism" with the warped and twisted ideological concepts of radical Islamics, the "nation" becomes the "ideology" in the context you are using. Not that "nationalism" is even required for something to be "fascist."

Islamofascists are not a religious entity, they have perverted Islam, thus they do not represent a theocratic ideology,

You are so full of it... Sophism that is.

Even if some consider these people to have perverted Islam, it is still a religion.

Catholics believed Protestants perverted Christianity, does that not make Protestants religious?

Your logic is shocking Dixie, shocking in its non-existence.

When you replace traditional "nationalism" with the warped and twisted ideological concepts of radical Islamics, the "nation" becomes the "ideology" in the context you are using. Not that "nationalism" is even required for something to be "fascist."

See the 'misnomer thread' where I explain for slow kids like you why nationalism is required for fascism and why you cannot state a religion is a nation state.

Even if some consider these people to have perverted Islam, it is still a religion.

Catholics believed Protestants perverted Christianity, does that not make Protestants religious?

Your logic is shocking Dixie, shocking in its non-existence.

My logic is, just because some group perverts a religion and uses it as an excuse for their unacceptable behavior, doesn't mean they are a valid part of that religious entity. The KKK used Christianity to perpetrate lynchings on black people, but few would attempt to argue these people were truly Christian. Is the KKK a "theocratic Christian group?" or something else? You tell me!

See the 'misnomer thread' where I explain for slow kids like you why nationalism is required for fascism and why you cannot state a religion is a nation state.

Frankly, I am tired of chasing you all over the board to address your ill-informed opinions, of which I've already owned you on. Nationalism is not required of any and all fascism, it's very clearly stated in the definition presented, and you have not acknowledged the fact, but that doesn't change reality. That said, Islamofascism certainly does contain an element of nationalism, they seek to form an Islamic Caliphate with a Caliph leader, this constitutes the "required" nationalist objectives of fascism, by your definition. Why won't you acknowledge this fact?

Frankly, I am tired of chasing you all over the board to address your ill-informed opinions, of which I've already owned you on.

Dixie, you couldn't own yourself....

Nationalism is not required of any and all fascism, it's very clearly stated in the definition presented,

No, all three definitions, from the Oxford University dictionary, Oxford Political dictionary and Dictionary.com state nationalism is a characteristic of fascism.

This is because the characteristics you are attempting to attribute to fascism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, dictatorial centralised control and expansionism can also be attributed to other ideologies, such as Soviet Communism, Monarchism and theocracy.

You, in your ownership..lol, haven't addressed this point.

That said, Islamofascism certainly does contain an element of nationalism, they seek to form an Islamic Caliphate with a Caliph leader, this constitutes the "required" nationalist objectives of fascism, by your definition. Why won't you acknowledge this fact?

Again, something you are claiming with no substance except by way of mixing semantics.

A centralised dictatorial empire isn't evidence of nationalism. Soviet Communism fits this description and that was in no way nationalistic, it was internationalist.

Nationalism, as the name indicates refers to the nation state. An empire doesn't automatically equate to a nation state. Nationalism is the ideology where all is directed towards the promotion of the nation state. Theocracies such as the Khalifate are ideologies where all is directed towards the promotion of religious doctrine.

So before making a little hill of dust, standing on top of it and declaring yourself 'king of the castle' why don't you address these points?

See the 'misnomer thread' where I explain for slow kids like you why nationalism is required for fascism
//

So the rise in nationalistic sentiment in the USA sets the stage for Fascism ?

Back