How "green" are electric cars?

Emissions from power plants are often out in the countryside not adding to city smog.

Really? If we're getting pollution from Asian power plants in the US, do you think pollution generated a few miles out of town isn't impacting nearby cities?

main_chairpollutionus.jpg

A growing amount of pollution from China and the rest of Asia is being carried over the Pacific and dumped on the west coast of the US.

The impact is a fairly regular number of air pollution violations in US cities, directly attributed to pollution that originated in Asia.

Asia burns a lot of coal, and Chinese coal in particular contains a high amount of mercury, making the country the largest source of chemical in the world.

Although there are ongoing UN negotiations on reducing mercury emissions, expectations that China will be willing to invest in technology, or be given help in getting technology, to reduce atmospheric emissions of mercury are low.

Ironically, the US could also be contributing to its own mercury pollution too if it pushes through plans to scale up the export of coal to China.

US coal is already being exported to China through Canada. Just south of the west coast port city of Vancouver, the Westshore Coal Terminal ships 22 million tonnes of coal a year, of which 59% goes to China. There are plans to build dozens of new terminals in the states of Washington and Oregon, on the west coast of the US, and export 150 million tonnes of coal a year to Asia.

We ship coal to China, they burn it and we get the pollution back.

https://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/5615-US-cities-suffer-impact-of-downwind-Chinese-air-pollution

Hey feel free to gobble exxons nuts
I'm not even a warmer
I drive electric cause it's like an iPhone vs a rotary phone
The smug factor over Dino deniers is just a bonus
I get 100 mpge with zero emissions
You gotta be sucking some denier jizz to think its not cleaner

You may think you get zero emissions out of the car itself but ignoring the inputs of the electricity generated to run that car is economically short sighted and Desh like.

You may think you get zero emissions out of the car itself but ignoring the inputs of the electricity generated to run that car is economically short sighted and Desh like.

Fuck you grand wizard
I'm driving the car cause it gets 100mpge, and runs like a scalded dog
I'm no ecoterrorist, the smug factor only works on turbolibs

Fuck you grand wizard
I'm driving the car cause it gets 100mpge, and runs like a scalded dog
I'm no ecoterrorist, the smug factor only works on turbolibs

I don't give two shits why you are driving it and quite frankly makes zero difference when it comes to the economics. Unless you think the electricity is produced with unicorn farts then it is ignorant to claim that the cars are emission free. Maybe the cars themselves are but you can't ignore how the electricity to make them run is produced. Unless of course you want to be like Desh and lie to yourself.

Topspin reminds of one of those really fat people who eat twenty bags of 100 calorie cookies and says "see I am eating low calorie stuff"

I don't give two shits why you are driving it and quite frankly makes zero difference when it comes to the economics. Unless you think the electricity is produced with unicorn farts then it is ignorant to claim that the cars are emission free. Maybe the cars themselves are but you can't ignore how the electricity to make them run is produced. Unless of course you want to be like Desh and lie to yourself.

Douchenozzle they have emissions related to the plant, like your blow dryer did when you had hair

Last edited:
The key is where the source of the electricity all-electric cars. If it comes from coal, the electric cars produce 3.6 times more soot and smog deaths than gas, because of the pollution made in generating the electricity, according to the study published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. They also are significantly worse at heat-trapping carbon dioxide that worsens global warming, it found.

The study examines environmental costs for cars' entire life cycle, including where power comes from and the environmental effects of building batteries.

"Unfortunately, when a wire is connected to an electric vehicle at one end and a coal-fired power plant at the other end, the environmental consequences are worse than driving a normal gasoline-powered car," said Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution for Science, who wasn't part of the study but praised it.

The states with the highest percentage of electricity coming from coal, according to the Department of Energy, are West Virginia, Wyoming, Ohio, North Dakota, and Illinois.

http://www.startribune.com/your-all-electric-car-may-not-be-so-green-says-new-study/285860511/

You guys are too funny!
Let's here your statement on how little emissions come from gasoline refineries and tanker trucks!
And oil ships bringing it in, offshore wells!
Say uncle any time

They are exponentially cleaner and cooler than dino
Jesus you are hard work at times. When everything is taken into account including the manufacture of the car, batteries and their subsequent disposal, plus the electricity used is unlikely to be green then no that statement is bullshit.

Last edited:
Jesus you are hard work at times. When everything is taken into account including the manufacture of the car, batteries and their subsequent disposal plus the electricity used is unlikely to be green then no that statement is bulkshit.

Lobbyist get 6 figures for the diahria you spew

Back