Hunter S. Thompson quotes

McRocket

'The main problem in any democracy is that crowd-pleasers are generally brainless swine who can go out on a stage & whup their supporters into an orgiastic frenzy - then go back to the office & sell every one of the poor bastards down the tube for a nickel apiece. Probably the rarest form of life in American politics is the man who can turn on a crowd & still keep his head straight - assuming it was straight in the first place.'

'The downward spiral of Dumbness in America is about to hit a new low'.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/14615-Hunter_S_Thompson

Note - Hunter S. Thompson was not my 'hero'.
I have no 'heroes'.
Nor do I want any.

And I do not agree with everything he said and did.

But he had a HELL of a way of expressing himself.
And, much of what he said, I admired and agreed with.

Last edited:
The main problem in any democracy is that crowd-pleasers are generally brainless swine who can go out on a stage & whup their supporters into an orgiastic frenzy - then go back to the office & sell every one of the poor bastards down the tube for a nickel apiece. Probably the rarest form of life in American politics is the man who can turn on a crowd & still keep his head straight - assuming it was straight in the first place.

The downward spiral of Dumbness in America is about to hit a new low.

OH Ya...the Good Old Days when what the people thought and wanted mattered......I Remember!

'We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and -- in spite of True Romance magazines -- we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely -- at least, not all the time -- but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.'

Hunter S. Thompson

'Every man is the sum total of his reactions to experience. As your experiences differ and multiply, you become a different man, and hence your perspective changes. This goes on and on. Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective.'

Hunter S. Thompson

And if all goes well your ability to see gets better...that is what education is.

'The main problem in any democracy is that crowd-pleasers are generally brainless swine who can go out on a stage & whup their supporters into an orgiastic frenzy - then go back to the office & sell every one of the poor bastards down the tube for a nickel apiece. Probably the rarest form of life in American politics is the man who can turn on a crowd & still keep his head straight - assuming it was straight in the first place.'

'The downward spiral of Dumbness in America is about to hit a new low'.

I think it hit it...

main-qimg-73539121ec6bb7caac70673698396565-lq

I never knew the man (Hunter S. Thompson).
But I am guessing that as pathetic as he would think the Democratic party has gotten (and it CLEARLY has).
He would be staggered by the depths the Reps have fallen to.

But again... I DID NOT know the man.
I could be wrong.
Though I HIGHLY doubt it.

Last edited:
And if all goes well your ability to see gets better...that is what education is.

Well, if you would give links to examples and facts as to the basis for your doom-and-gloom scenarios?
One would be able to learn from them...potentially.

But you NEVER do.

So, with you running around saying 'the sky is falling'?
China will win it all?
Yet offering NOTHING in the way of evidence or data to back it up?
And expecting people to take you seriously on this...is wishful thinking.

I am NOT saying you are wrong.
But I am not about to jump on your band wagon just because you say so.
Ever.

I don't do the religious 'leap of faith'.

Well, if you would give links to examples and facts as to the basis for your doom-and-gloom scenarios?
One would be able to learn from them...potentially.

But you NEVER do.

So, with you running around saying 'the sky is falling'?
China will win it all?
Yet offering NOTHING in the way of evidence or data to back it up?
And expecting people to take you seriously on this...is wishful thinking.

I am NOT saying you are wrong.
But I am not about to jump on your band wagon just because you say so.
Ever.

I don't do the religious 'leap of faith'.

Making it All About Hawkeye was completely voluntary on your part.

An inferior move from an inferior person.

'I am a generous man, by nature, and far more trusting than I should be. Indeed. The real world is risky territory for people with generosity of spirit. Beware.'

Hunter S. Thompson

I would put it this way:

'Never trust ANYONE...EVER.
You are a fool if you do otherwise.
And have no one to blame but yourself when said trust, bites you on the ass.'

'“The Wave” Passage (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) Lyrics

“Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”'

https://genius.com/Hunter-s-thompson-the-wave-passage-fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-annotated

This was - just - before my time.

And there sounds like there were a lot of negative things about the 'hippie movement'.

However...there also sounds like there was an underlying decency.
An Idealism...to it.

And - to me - it sounds wonderful.

Sadly, it seems to be humanity's, high water mark (at least for now).

There is no doubt in my mind that humans have been - overall - going backwards since then.
We paused during the 90's.
Possibly even began to reverse.
But then accelerated downwards...rapidly...after the millennium.

And, unless we stop getting stupider?
It probably won't stop, any time soon.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/l...rch-confirms-it-really-are-getting-dumber.htm

Last edited:
'No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun — for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your age. Relax — This won't hurt.'

Hunter S. Thompson's, suicide note.
Written just before he blew his brains out with a shotgun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson#Death

Why anyone wants to be old?
And why SO MANY people put up with it for so long?
Living to 75, 80 and as long as possible?
Is beyond me.
Fear of death, I suppose.

I seriously cannot think of a single reason why I would want to be 80 years old.

Last edited:
Making it All About Hawkeye was completely voluntary on your part.

An inferior move from an inferior person.

Blah, blah, blah.
You offer nothing of fact.

And try to cover up that fact with ad hominem's.
Hoping to belittle/distract me in the process.

And it changes NOTHING.

Don't you see how few people around here, seem to not take you seriously?
Probably, largely, because you run around screaming 'the sky is falling' China own us'.

And yet offering NOTHING, EVER to back up this perspective?

Answer me this, please?
Why should ANYONE take you seriously if you NEVER, offer ANY evidence of what you claim?

I will give you one attempt to do so.
The second it appears you are spewing forth nonsense...I will move on.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah.
You offer nothing of fact.

And try to cover up that fact with ad hominem's.
Hoping to belittle/distract me in the process.

And it changes NOTHING.

Don't you see how few people around here, seem to take you seriously?
Probably, largely, because you run around screaming 'the sky is falling' China own us'.

And yet offering NOTHING, EVER to back up this perspective?

Answer me this, please?
Why should ANYONE take you seriously if you NEVER, offer ANY evidence of what you claim?

I will give you one attempt to do so.
The second it appears you are spewing forth nonsense...I will move on.

hawkeye is a chinese agent. Avoid him like the plague.

Back