I Leave For Vacay On Sunday

You have to pay to move thare Damo ? Darn I was thinking about moving there....
I can work from anywhere that has high speed net access.
No, but depending on age there is a rising limitation on immigration that is tied to your assets. If you have a vital skill you can move there immediately regardless... However Communication Engineers don't seem to be in short supply.

I'd love to live in New Zealand. Their immigration laws are restrictive though... by the time I could afford it I doubt I'd like to leave.

What??? Damo wanting to live in a liberal, progressive country! ;)

I really want to check out the South Island - I'm really into those alpine mountians, fjords, and glaciers.

Good call on Fiji. That would be way cool. For some reason, I'm really into the asia-pacific region.

I think because of the distance and the limited amount of people that frequent that region, it seems really exotic to us. The Caribbean and mexico is gorgeous, but people from our parts go there a lot.

No, but depending on age there is a rising limitation on immigration that is tied to your assets. If you have a vital skill you can move there immediately regardless... However Communication Engineers don't seem to be in short supply.

umm I will have to check and see if software engineers are in the same boat.

from what you said it might work out for me since I am bringing my own job with me ?

What??? Damo wanting to live in a liberal, progressive country! ;)

I really want to check out the South Island - I'm really into those alpine mountians, fjords, and glaciers.
They are not nearly as "progressive" as you think they are. The nation is currently much like the US of the 50s and early 60s...

They are not nearly as "progressive" as you think they are. The nation is currently much like the US of the 50s and early 60s...

LOL

Nice try damo. New Zealand makes the democrats look like rightwing reactionaries: they have universal healthcare, and spend nearly half of their nations GDP on public and government services like healthcare and education and public pensions. In other words "high taxes"

LOL

Nice try damo. New Zealand makes the democrats look like rightwing reactionaries: they have universal healthcare, and spend nearly half of their nations GDP on public and government services like healthcare and education and public pensions. In other words "high taxes"
I'm talking about the society as a whole. Universal healthcare is easier to implement with a smaller population. Hence the reason I suggest regional rather than national programs... Libertarian is where I lean, not where I reside.

So, LOL all you want... my description has been made by many who have visited and moved there. It has been an interest of mine for some time.

I'm talking about the society as a whole. Universal healthcare is easier to implement with a smaller population. Hence the reason I suggest regional rather than national programs... Libertarian is where I lean, not where I reside.

So, LOL all you want... my description has been made by many who have visited and moved there. It has been an interest of mine for some time.

You approve of a country that spends half its GDP on public/government services?

Why on earth do you critcize the democrats for big government and high taxes? ;)

Population and population density are the keys to everything, really. What works in an agrarian society with only a few people per square mile won't work in a modern post-industrial society. Similarly, what works for a nation of 4 million, like NZ, may not work (well) for a nation of 300 million.

I can't blame you though Damo.

There aren't any successful countries in the world I'm aware of, that fit the classic liberarian model of no government healthcare, privitized education, unregulated lassaize-faire economy, and tiny government vs. total GDP

Welcome to the progressive world! :cool:

Plus, Cypress, they have subsidised care but not "Universal Coverage"...

Lookup "New Zealand health insurance" and read why there is a need to get such a thing in "Universal Healthcare" land...

:rolleyes:

Here's one of them for you:

http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-0a4164ca-3942-4d25-a6af-fa77aac8de68.aspx

Notice how long-term care isn't automatically covered? Doesn't sound hugely "Universal" to me... So, it is a progressive system of subsidies, but not "universal" at all. Much like in the US. If you need it you are more likely to get larger subsidies.

In order to move there you must pretty much show you will have no need for such subsidies. Health Insurance is sold for those that do not need the subsidy.

Plus, Cypress, they have subsidised care but not "Universal Coverage"...

Lookup "New Zealand health insurance" and read why there is a need to get such a thing in "Universal Healthcare" land...

:rolleyes:

Here's one of them for you:

http://www.everybody.co.nz/page-0a4164ca-3942-4d25-a6af-fa77aac8de68.aspx

Notice how long-term care isn't automatically covered? Doesn't sound hugely "Universal" to me... So, it is a progressive system of subsidies, but not "universal" at all. Much like in the US. If you need it you are more likely to get larger subsidies.

In order to move there you must pretty much show you will have no need for such subsidies. Health Insurance is sold for those that do not need the subsidy.

Still more left-wing than even american democrats.

Back