I only percolate my coffee. Drip coffee is for proles.

Tea just does horrible things to your teeth. It's almost as bad as beetle nut. Then again, you Brits have never been known for your pretty smiles, have you?

Actually I like both. I would argue that the South's greatest contribution to humanity is Iced Tea. Hot tea? Meh, that's kinda old world.

Is this an example of your scientific mind at work, I wonder if you might listen to your own dental association?

http://jada.ada.org/content/132/7/864.3.full

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what you mean by "boiled" but I use a French press and it makes the best cup of joe.....period.

I mean taking grounds and adding them to boiling water and cooking them for as long as it takes to make the coffee strength you want. I've also seen it called "cowboy coffee".

But yes, a french press makes the best coffee, hands down.

I mean taking grounds and adding them to boiling water and cooking them for as long as it takes to make the coffee strength you want. I've also seen it called "cowboy coffee".

I had to look up French Press as I've never heard of the term, turns out you are referring to a cafetière!

I used to drink coffee a lot but now I can't stand the stuff, tea is far more refreshing and it's a proven antiseptic as well. So you don't get that rancid taste in your mouth as you do from coffee.

Since the privatisation of the railways ... or was it as long ago as Beeching, there has been no good coffee in the UK. The white jacketed staff, tea towels over their arms, one with two pewter jugs of coffee and one with the hot milk. So strong they used to give you a knife and fork to eat it with.
I think our colonial friends might be pleasantly surprised by 'Yorkshire' Tea or even M & S Breakfast Tea. Ahhh. Get those fish n chips moving!

I had to look up French Press as I've never heard of the term, turns out you are referring to a cafetière!

I'm told that tea was made popular as a result of the Jamaican slaves and sugar plantations. It started as a Chinese health drink and was trendy with the upper echelons of Brit Soc. Some of them were keen to flog their sugar and so the marketing machine kicked in to flog sweet tea to the masses.
As usual I have not Googled that little snippet, nor is it my intention so to do!

Since the privatisation of the railways ... or was it as long ago as Beeching, there has been no good coffee in the UK. The white jacketed staff, tea towels over their arms, one with two pewter jugs of coffee and one with the hot milk. So strong they used to give you a knife and fork to eat it with.
I think our colonial friends might be pleasantly surprised by 'Yorkshire' Tea or even M & S Breakfast Tea. Ahhh. Get those fish n chips moving!

Eh, I'm not a fan of hot tea with my fish. Its better cold. Now a good Irish Breakfast... mmm

I'm told that tea was made popular as a result of the Jamaican slaves and sugar plantations. It started as a Chinese health drink and was trendy with the upper echelons of Brit Soc. Some of them were keen to flog their sugar and so the marketing machine kicked in to flog sweet tea to the masses.
As usual I have not Googled that little snippet, nor is it my intention so to do!

I'm not sure what your aversion is to looking things up online, is looking up Encyclopedia Britannica on the internet any different to going to a library?

Don't the grinds get in the coffee then?

I use a percolator myself. I think it's much better than a drip pot, but we do have the drip in the office. It's okay. But I love the percolator. I'm actually going to buy the Keurig single-cup machine for the office for Christmas. Everyone really wants it because you have all the different kinds of coffee. And it does seem a lot less messy than what we have now. But just for the office.

I'm not sure what your aversion is to looking things up online, is looking up Encyclopedia Britannica on the internet any different to going to a library?

I am a member of a movement dedicated to getting 'Laziness' accepted as a sport in the next but one olympics. You, clearly, could not qualify. A library?? My goodness, my nearest library is a good ten minutes away!

Eh, I'm not a fan of hot tea with my fish. Its better cold. Now a good Irish Breakfast... mmm

Ahh, you are talking about 'Fish' - I am talking about Fish 'n' chips, which traditionally is served with mushy peas a slice and a cuppa. Not the same. I don't think your delicate tastebuds could handle it.

Irish breakfast? That would be a full English breakfast served with a brogue.

I use a percolator myself. I think it's much better than a drip pot, but we do have the drip in the office. It's okay. But I love the percolator. I'm actually going to buy the Keurig single-cup machine for the office for Christmas. Everyone really wants it because you have all the different kinds of coffee. And it does seem a lot less messy than what we have now. But just for the office.
Perculators make the coffee excesively bitter.

Ahh..you mean "Texas Coffee". That's where you throw 5 pounds of coffee in to a quart of water and boil it for an hour. At the end of an hour you throw in a horse shoe. If the horse shoe sinks it's not done yet.

If you take a small amount of cold water and pour it in the pot it knocks the grounds down to the bottom. The last cup is a bit rough, but the rest is fine.

The Keurig is my next coffee purchase. They are handy as can be.

If you take a small amount of cold water and pour it in the pot it knocks the grounds down to the bottom. The last cup is a bit rough, but the rest is fine.

The Keurig is my next coffee purchase. They are handy as can be.

How is the economy? I realise they are very convenient and make good coffee, but isn't it quite expensive?

Back