If ten million dollars fell in you lap...

me, I would be doing all those things if I had a Half-mil. cvourse on a smaller scale. I do that now, when I can. (as I laughingly say, I waste half my money on necessities and spread the rest around to the more forunate.)

and honestly...I would probably give it away...minus just a little to have a little fun..would not want all the headaches of money...robbery,fraud,Kidnappings of family members et al...I am a simple guy with simple needs...BBQ,Beer,family,Bikes,boats,flying and a occassional adult
encounter with the girl of my dreams for a night anyway...lol:clink:

I think you would, just a gut feeling.

I'd get my dad a power wheelchair.

Pay off all debt.

The whole family: My bro, dad, SIL, 3 nieces/nephews spouses, my 3 would do Ireland/Europe for 3 months.

I'd pay my kids the money they've borrowed for college with interest, AFTER they paid their loans back. (Payable upon completion of payback.)

I'd buy a 3000 sq foot ranch-3 BR/3BA w/basement, and add Master BR/MA BA upstairs, with a loft. Laundry room off kitchen.

I'd get a 2 BR condo in Chicago, off Michigan Ave.

I'd get a 2 BR condo in Sarasota.

I'd get my Phd. in History.

I'd set up annuity scholarships for needy/academically able students for college from my school.

After my kids, whether married or single had saved up a downpayment to buy a house or condo, I'd pay off the mortgage and buy them a small summer home in another state.

Put the rest in some investments so I could help family or worthy organizations in the future.

Yep, I have cancer, your perspectives change in life when you know you could die and hope for the best.

It hasn't changed me, just re-enforced to me who I am. And yes, in life my joy is to give, not receive. I know it is hard to understand when you don't share these ideals.

See, once you reach middle class, money won't make you happy, people believe it does, but in reality it doesn't. Happiness is a state of being, some people think material things fill the void, but it doesn't most of time. My girlfriend who is a multi-millionaire isn't any happier than myself. She may have more creature comforts, but she isn't happier.

It won't be my house or my car or my bank account that remembers me after I am gone.

Yep, I am really this sappy...

Good for you Froggie ,You kick that monsters ass !

I always say once you have enough to secure your future its just Money and really makes no differance.

I was raised poor and its no fun but Big money can be a pain in the ass.

Yep, I have cancer, your perspectives change in life when you know you could die and hope for the best.

It hasn't changed me, just re-enforced to me who I am. And yes, in life my joy is to give, not receive. I know it is hard to understand when you don't share these ideals.

See, once you reach middle class, money won't make you happy, people believe it does, but in reality it doesn't. Happiness is a state of being, some people think material things fill the void, but it doesn't most of time. My girlfriend who is a multi-millionaire isn't any happier than myself. She may have more creature comforts, but she isn't happier.

It won't be my house or my car or my bank account that remembers me after I am gone.

I am soory to hear about the cancer, but it sort of puts us in the same boat. I am 78, and relatively healthy,and while I say they will have to nail my shroud down, and I won't go until I can write on my casket 100 years young, The fact remains that life expectancy is against me acheiving that goal.

Hopefully you can live with happy resolve. and maybe even get rid if it. miracles DO happen.

Hugs! I read this after your nice response to my post 'of what I'd do...' I've been a single parent for 15 years now, my 3 kids are done or finishing up university studies, with very little help from me. Scholarship and loans.

My divorce took nearly 4 years, 3 of which my ex provided all of $50 per month support, though after that the payments were over $4k per month + arrears. For those years prior, my parents helped me support my kids.

When my youngest was graduating from 8th grade, my mom who'd already had a stroke, fell and broke her hip for the first time. From that point on, for the next 6 years, her and my father moved in with my kids and myself. For 2 years, following a 2nd broken hip and another large stroke, we had to hire a 24/7 nurse. Followed by another year of a nursing home for my mom. Then she finally was granted peace.

My dad, I inherited from my mom. He'd spent just a bit more than a $1 m. for her care, and extra expenses for their housing, etc. He didn't have much left when she finally passed.

Last Jan. he was diagnosed with lung cancer, but is really doing way better than expected. My brother and I are lucky, when my mom first became ill, my parents went to a lawyer to draw up their wishes. They gave my brother and I power of medical attorney, making clear their desires. So with the diagnosis, my dad vetoed at first, chemo. Then after explained, said he'd try it, but if he became very sick, wanted to stop. Luckily he's tolerated the oral chemo quite well, lost his hair and weight, but both were affordable. Other than that, he's quite able.

He's tons of friends, better social life than me. Prognosis in Jan. of 3-6 months, changed last week to another 18 months. Go figure. He's 86. Still smoking and eating what he wants. I know my kids are as successful and generous as they are in no small measure from what they gained from my parents. I am going to be forever grateful that I've been able to provide some return to them. While I hope and pray my children do not have to do the same for me, I do not doubt they'd be there if the need arose. They did help in high school and later, things I know I couldn't have at the same age. (I never had grandparents, much less sick anyone around me at their ages.)

So often we hear of the young people today having no souls or morals or whatever. I don't agree. As a teacher and parent, I believe the young of today are made of better than many of the past. I also think that many of our elders have shown a brave front in the face of medical science, letting so many live well into 80's, 90's and beyond. At 50, I'm not sure which generation is the bravest or most generous, though I'm pretty sure it's not mine.

I am soory to hear about the cancer, but it sort of puts us in the same boat. I am 78, and relatively healthy,and while I say they will have to nail my shroud down, and I won't go until I can write on my casket 100 years young, The fact remains that life expectancy is against me acheiving that goal.

Hopefully you can live with happy resolve. and maybe even get rid if it. miracles DO happen.

thanks for the concern! I have ONE (tadah) chemo treatment next Friday and then I am in remission and I feel that I am cured!!!!!!! I am fortunate in that my chemo experience was very mild and I tolerated it well.

My father is 87 and I think you will be old and feisty just like he is! I love the fact you post here and that I am here to read you.

Hugs! I read this after your nice response to my post 'of what I'd do...' I've been a single parent for 15 years now, my 3 kids are done or finishing up university studies, with very little help from me. Scholarship and loans.

My divorce took nearly 4 years, 3 of which my ex provided all of $50 per month support, though after that the payments were over $4k per month + arrears. For those years prior, my parents helped me support my kids.

When my youngest was graduating from 8th grade, my mom who'd already had a stroke, fell and broke her hip for the first time. From that point on, for the next 6 years, her and my father moved in with my kids and myself. For 2 years, following a 2nd broken hip and another large stroke, we had to hire a 24/7 nurse. Followed by another year of a nursing home for my mom. Then she finally was granted peace.

My dad, I inherited from my mom. He'd spent just a bit more than a $1 m. for her care, and extra expenses for their housing, etc. He didn't have much left when she finally passed.

Last Jan. he was diagnosed with lung cancer, but is really doing way better than expected. My brother and I are lucky, when my mom first became ill, my parents went to a lawyer to draw up their wishes. They gave my brother and I power of medical attorney, making clear their desires. So with the diagnosis, my dad vetoed at first, chemo. Then after explained, said he'd try it, but if he became very sick, wanted to stop. Luckily he's tolerated the oral chemo quite well, lost his hair and weight, but both were affordable. Other than that, he's quite able.

He's tons of friends, better social life than me. Prognosis in Jan. of 3-6 months, changed last week to another 18 months. Go figure. He's 86. Still smoking and eating what he wants. I know my kids are as successful and generous as they are in no small measure from what they gained from my parents. I am going to be forever grateful that I've been able to provide some return to them. While I hope and pray my children do not have to do the same for me, I do not doubt they'd be there if the need arose. They did help in high school and later, things I know I couldn't have at the same age. (I never had grandparents, much less sick anyone around me at their ages.)

So often we hear of the young people today having no souls or morals or whatever. I don't agree. As a teacher and parent, I believe the young of today are made of better than many of the past. I also think that many of our elders have shown a brave front in the face of medical science, letting so many live well into 80's, 90's and beyond. At 50, I'm not sure which generation is the bravest or most generous, though I'm pretty sure it's not mine.

Your a strong woman Runyon.

A loving family is the bigest Blessing of all.

thanks for the concern! I have ONE (tadah) chemo treatment next Friday and then I am in remission and I feel that I am cured!!!!!!! I am fortunate in that my chemo experience was very mild and I tolerated it well.

My father is 87 and I think you will be old and feisty just like he is! I love the fact you post here and that I am here to read you.

Good Deal Froggie it sounds like you have kicked that monsters ass!

Your a strong woman Runyon.

A loving family is the bigest Blessing of all.

Thank you. I've seen such strength from my folks, my dad was seriously injured during D-day and what happened since his recovery then, including getting me through adolescence! ;)

My kids, damn. So many challenges, but damn, they've made me proud!

Me? I was a brat. My folks paid for college, had a car at 16, (too embarrased to say the make/model, which would date me.) I will say my brother and I both eventually ended up in service, teaching and law enforcement, so not total brats. LOL!

Damn My life was a reverse of yours.

Poor as hell, drunk and verbally abusive Dad (he always had a Job and really wasnt a Bad man just a bad father).

Worked my way though school and supplimented my parents and little Bro and sis.

Now Im a pampered house wife with a great Hubby and Great kid(19 and in school).

My Dad is gone and Mom lives on SS and I still suppliment her income.

Life has treated me well.

Damn My life was a reverse of yours.

Poor as hell, drunk and verbally abusive Dad (he always had a Job and really wasnt a Bad man just a bad father).

Worked my way though school and supplimented my parents and little Bro and sis.

Now Im a pampered house wife with a great Hubby and Great kid(19 and in school).

My Dad is gone and Mom lives on SS and I still suppliment her income.

Life has treated me well.

and ain't that truly the American story? No matter what has come before or since, regardless of politics, we want better for the future generations? That I fear with the rancor exhibited in the past 20 years or so, may be lost.

My parents are both alive.

My dad was a banker, the Cashier at Fidelity State for over 45 years employed there.
My mother a stay at home mom.
One of eight children, one of six girls, the middle child, but also, the oldest, mother had three, then she kids, took six years off to get ready for me...

I was an independent child with a wild streak, but I had a great home life. My dad still comes in the kitchen every morning and kisses my mom as she fixes his coffee. He goes to breakfast at 5:30, she is a late riser and greets him with coffee when he gets home and then she reads the news paper to him. They are so cute, I love my folks. My family life is pretty white bread. There have been afew divorces, but Bud and I are on our 34rd year together '74 and married since 1978. Grew up in the same home town. Now his life is the one he could write a book about. I keep encouraging him. I am hoping his youngest daughter will be the ghost writer!

Now, this is why this board needs more estrogen.

In the last few posts, I can almost see a group hug coming on. Why are you women so much more sophisticated and refined than us dudes? Dorks like me, superfreak, topspin, and usc just sit around hammering each other all day. Its great fun! But, sometimes the testosterone competition is a bit much. ;)

Froggie: Great news on the health front! I'm so glad to hear it!

Now, this is why this board needs more estrogen.

In the last few posts, I can almost see a group hug coming on. Why are you women so much more sophisticated and refined than us dudes? Dorks like me, superfreak, topspin, and usc just sit around hammering each other all day. Its great fun! But, sometimes the testosterone competition is a bit much. ;)

Froggie: Great news on the health front! I'm so glad to hear it!

LOL, I'm glad you think so, I'm going to respond to the great post by froggie!

My parents are both alive.

My dad was a banker, the Cashier at Fidelity State for over 45 years employed there.
My mother a stay at home mom.
One of eight children, one of six girls, the middle child, but also, the oldest, mother had three, then she kids, took six years off to get ready for me...

I was an independent child with a wild streak, but I had a great home life. My dad still comes in the kitchen every morning and kisses my mom as she fixes his coffee. He goes to breakfast at 5:30, she is a late riser and greets him with coffee when he gets home and then she reads the news paper to him. They are so cute, I love my folks. My family life is pretty white bread. There have been afew divorces, but Bud and I are on our 34rd year together '74 and married since 1978. Grew up in the same home town. Now his life is the one he could write a book about. I keep encouraging him. I am hoping his youngest daughter will be the ghost writer!

Your parents sound wonderful and typical of their generation. I do wish my generation were more like it.

As I said, my dad was drafted for WWII, he was severely injured in the 2nd wave of WWII, D-day. Both of my parents were children of Irish immigrants, who managed to make it through the depression without enough to eat, while attending tuition paid Catholic schools, which tells something about the priorities of my grandparents, all of whom were dead by the time I was born.
My paternal grandfather got off the boat from Ireland, only to find himself shoved onto a boat to Cuba in late 1800's. Yeah, he did get naturalized from that. Luckily he also got an insurance policy from that, when he died in his 40's, when my dad was 3.

So of are American stories made. So when I argue for a rational immigration policy, while I may be 'conservative', it's not from a protectionist pov. It's for the good of the country, not in the sense of cutting off new immigrants. Double or triple the quotas from Mexico or Canada, just vet properly and cut off illegals.

Froggie, you like myself sound very lucky in the parent department. While my dad had serious problems with alcohol when young, he joined AA while I was young. Even before that, he was a good dad, taking my brother, myself, and our friends to the pool in the summer, ice skating rink in the winter. He as a very good athlete and shared it with all of us. Funny, but I remember summers swimming in the public pool underwater, hearing the 'ping' of shrapnel falling to the aluminum bottom. My dad would then throw those pieces, telling us whoever got them, got a quarter for treats when done swimming.

I do remember some very hairy scenes of my parents fighting when I was very young. But more importantly, I remember the last few years of my mom's life, like their 45 anniversary, when she was not 'all there', but not 'all gone.' She was mostly wheel chair bound, but she got out of the chair, onto my dad's lap and said, 'We've had more bad times than good, but the good more than make up for the bad. Our family has been strong and we still take care of one another. It thank you for taking care of me." Mind you, that was after a serious stroke and some minis.

Anyone who questions why sacrifice of self is important, only needs to look at truly 'successful' unions. Not perfect, not easy, just successful.

-I'd upgrade the house to solar, and green energy, and get completly off the commercial utility grid.

About 100,000

-I'd buy a nice hybrid car

About 30,000

-I'd take about a 6 month vacation: Europe, or maybe southeast asia

About 20-40,000

-I'd buy a beachfront house. No mansions, or anythin too fancy. Just a nice, normal house.

9 million

Sorry, not enough money for all of this.

How would you spend it?

Me:

-I'd buy a beachfront house. No mansions, or anythin too fancy. Just a nice, normal house.

-I'd upgrade the house to solar, and green energy, and get completly off the commercial utility grid.

-I'd buy a nice hybrid car

-I'd take about a 6 month vacation: Europe, or maybe southeast asia

that would burn about a million, I think

-I'd give about 3 million to charity

-I'd give a give about 3 million to relatives (or friends who need help)

-I'd put 2 million is safe investments and live off the interest, while I went back to school for a law degree, or teaching credential.

-I'd keep about a million in liquid income. Beer money, in effect. ;)

I'd buy lots and lots of high-quality, easily ingested crackers.

Good for you Froggie ,You kick that monsters ass !

I always say once you have enough to secure your future its just Money and really makes no differance.

I was raised poor and its no fun but Big money can be a pain in the ass.

thanks, I feel like it is a done deal!

Back