I'm going to Graceland

When the thread was about Elvis, it didn't interest me. I understand that Elvis had a profound influence on music, but he was just never my kinda thing.

But Memphis blues, bbq and charm is another matter.

It's not really a crime for the job of writing and singing to be separated. Some people are good writers and not great performers and vice versa. The music field is the only field where you're declared "fake" if the jobs are separated, which is kind of ridiculous.

What does annoy me is when a singer gets all of the credit for the song and the writer gets nothing. IMHO, a singer is just an instrument, and crediting it to the singer instead of the writer makes as much sense as crediting it to the trumpetist or the guitarist. Like people refer to it as "Britney Spear's" song when all she did was sing. There have been exceptions - in the song "Dream On" Christian Falk did everything besides sing, which was a task given to Robyn, and it was credited to him. Of course the youtube comments are full of people complaining about how it's credited to Falk instead of Robyn, b/c, after all, Robyn did the singing. And, of course, for the American release it was credited to Robyn, because Americans are proles.

Kris Kristoferson is the perfect example of a great song writer that can sing a lick.

I hear ya, Mott.

If you get the chance, cruise into Silky O'Sullivan's at 3rd and Beale and check out Barbara Blue. She can sing and they have some damn good ribs.

I would also be remiss if I did not suggest you try Gus's for fried chicken.
Silky's was our first stop on Beale St. We didn't go inside though. We got a drink in the courtyard and sat at a table by the fountain and watched the band and did a little dancing. We had all ready ate at the Rendevous which has some pretty mean bbq too.

When the thread was about Elvis, it didn't interest me. I understand that Elvis had a profound influence on music, but he was just never my kinda thing.

But Memphis blues, bbq and charm is another matter.
Elvis is all part of that my friend. It's hard to explain. Go to Memphis, you'll see.

Silky's was our first stop on Beale St. We didn't go inside though. We got a drink in the courtyard and sat at a table by the fountain and watched the band and did a little dancing. We had all ready ate at the Rendevous which has some pretty mean bbq too.

The Rendevous, Silky's, and Corky's were our BBQ stops. Gus's for the chicken.

Did I mention I love Memphis?

Elvis is all part of that my friend. It's hard to explain. Go to Memphis, you'll see.

I've been to Memphis many times. My mother's family is from Batesville MS, which is just south of Memphis.

In addition to all the food & music, the duck parade thru the lobby of the Peabody Hotel is not to be missed.

Back