APP - I'm starting to change my mind on ethanol.

One reality is the oil lobbyists killed this option for most vehicles way back when we first started mass-producing vehicles. The original carburetor that Ford had designed could be used for either Ethanol or Oil, the Oil lobby in its early years put the kibosh on that particular option, Big Farming hadn't a centralized lobby system at the time and lost out.

I do believe that Nat Gas is a more viable option and one that we should move towards for interim until we find a truly viable option. Corn simply isn't efficient enough, it isn't like sugar beets, and the 20% drop in fuel efficiency is a killer, without the government giving them cash to keep the price lower there would never be a time it would be cost beneficial to purchase Ethanol over Gasoline.

Maybe this novel new engine will make the difference, it is claimed to be up to four times more efficient than piston engines.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/11/new-gasoline-engine-design-has-4x-efficiency-of-pistons/

it's a whole lot easier to convert existing cars to run on even E80 than it is to convert them to run on natural gas.

Not true. It is rediculously simple to add gasous fuel to existing cars. Conversion to alcohol requires replacement of all non-compatible components.

One reality is the oil lobbyists killed this option for most vehicles way back when we first started mass-producing vehicles. The original carburetor that Ford had designed could be used for either Ethanol or Oil, the Oil lobby in its early years put the kibosh on that particular option, Big Farming hadn't a centralized lobby system at the time and lost out.

I do believe that Nat Gas is a more viable option and one that we should move towards for interim until we find a truly viable option. Corn simply isn't efficient enough, it isn't like sugar beets, and the 20% drop in fuel efficiency is a killer, without the government giving them cash to keep the price lower there would never be a time it would be cost beneficial to purchase Ethanol over Gasoline.

Ethanol wasn't the only option discarded. In Henry Ford's time, 1/3 of all vehicles were electric. The edison battery is still manufactured today and are known to have a life span of 100 years or more.

Unfortunately the production of edison batteries was moved to China shortly after Richard Nixons visit there.

Edison was very surprised when massive amounts of battery orders were canceled by Detroit.

Electric cars could replace the vast majority of cars at this time, reserving the uuse of natural gas for trucks primarily.

Not true. It is rediculously simple to add gasous fuel to existing cars. Conversion to alcohol requires replacement of all non-compatible components.

??????.....I hesitate to respond to new posters before they've passed the Legion DNA test, but.......did you post this because you don't know anything about automobiles?.....

Modifications to existing cars is a non-issue. Folks buy new cars all the time, and the rate of attrition far exceeds the speed that the fuel distribution system can change. New cars will use the new fuels while older cars will use the older fuels.

??????.....I hesitate to respond to new posters before they've passed the Legion DNA test, but.......did you post this because you don't know anything about automobiles?.....

New? They just changed their name. Go to the profile and look at the username history.

My biggest problem with both ethanol and Natgas is the significant power loss in using either fuel. This translates into higher fuel usage for the same amount of power/driving.

My biggest problem with both ethanol and Natgas is the significant power loss in using either fuel. This translates into higher fuel usage for the same amount of power/driving.

Natural gas burns cleaner. Not only helping the enviroment, but the engine lasts much longer as well. Additionaly we have abundant amounts of natural gas domesticaly.

Even if I was legion I would still know more about engines, fuel, and most anything else than you.

Natural gas burns cleaner. Not only helping the enviroment, but the engine lasts much longer as well. Additionaly we have abundant amounts of natural gas domesticaly.
It burns at a higher rate and isn't really any easier on the engine. Might burn cleaner, but if you have to use more of it in the same trip as gasoline (around 30% power reduction typically) than a lot of the environmental savings are kinda negated.

It burns at a higher rate and isn't really any easier on the engine. Might burn cleaner, but if you have to use more of it in the same trip as gasoline (around 30% power reduction typically) than a lot of the environmental savings are kinda negated.

Nah, it really does burn that much cleaner, so much so that addition use is negated and then some, and engine wear is drasticlly reduced, almost to the point of non-existance. Sound like you don't have much actual experience with natural gas.

Nah, it really does burn that much cleaner, so much so that addition use is negated and then some, and engine wear is drasticlly reduced, almost to the point of non-existance. Sound like you don't have much actual experience with natural gas.
I'd say I've a great deal of experience with it. My company used to do the conversions before they because unpopular. We've also done all the conversion removal after the customers were unsatisfied with natgas performance.

So, which is cheaper?

For the planet or the consumer? Long term or short term? There is no fuel cost saving from using natural gas, but the engine will suffer almost no internal wear. Additionaly gasous fuel does not require costly carburation or fuel injection of the type liquid fuel requires.

Back