I'm thinking about declawing my cat

i dont live in an area where a cat would need to defend themselves. no mountain cougars in my backyard. maybe we should do it state by state?

in mass they should be declawed.

What about dogs or other cats.
First; no declawed cat should ever be allowed outside again.

Second; they don't remove the claw. The cut the tendon that allows the car to draw it out.
Since the cat can't bring the claw out and use a scratching post, the owner must now cut the claw themself or have a groomer do it; because the claw will continue to grow.

if it's okay to get rid of cat testicles I don't see why it's wrong to get rid of their claws. Claws can scratch you, and tear up shit. Plus I bet they can become cracked, are painful, and could be infected. Cats should be declawed.

If you own a cat and they EVER get outside, then it is not only wrong to have them de-clawed, it ought to be a crime.

Taking away a cat's best weapon and defense and then sending it out into a world where almost everything is larger and more aggressive?

Not cool man.

The procedure involves removing the last knuckle on the cats paw.

Let's take a look at one method of declawing a housecat. (Many surgeons will utilize laser surgery for this procedure or some other method... there is no single and universal method.) In this procedure the last phalanx of each front toe is removed, the incision is sealed with surgical glue and the paw is bandaged overnight. The bandages are removed prior to the cat's leaving the hospital and healing takes place at home over the next ten days. Another method of declawing a cat really isn't a "declaw procedure". It involves cutting the tendon, just beneath the toe, that keeps the cat from exposing the claw. This is really not a declaw procedure and is less invasive but a relatively new procedure. Time will tell if it is better than actually removing the tiny bone with the claw.

The Cat’s Claws
Unlike most mammals who walk on the soles of the paws or feet, cats are digitigrade, which means they walk on their toes. Their back, shoulder, paw and leg joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves are naturally designed to support and distribute the cat's weight across its toes as it walks, runs and climbs. A cat's claws are used for balance, for exercising, and for stretching the muscles in their legs, back, shoulders, and paws. They stretch these muscles by digging their claws into a surface and pulling back against their own clawhold - similar to isometric exercising for humans. This is the only way a cat can exercise, stretch and tone the muscles of its back and shoulders. The toes help the foot meet the ground at a precise angle to keep the leg, shoulder and back muscles and joints in proper alignment. Removal of the last digits of the toes drastically alters the conformation of their feet and causes the feet to meet the ground at an unnatural angle that can cause back pain similar to that in humans caused by wearing improper shoes.

Just about every country in the civilized world has banned the procedure besides America. Declawing sounds relatively innocuous, but just imagine removing the first knuckle on your finger.

There are non-surgical, non-permanent alternatives, like vinyl caps for their claws, marketed as "Soft Paws" or "Soft Claws".

Just about every country in the civilized world has banned the procedure besides America. Declawing sounds relatively innocuous, but just imagine removing the first knuckle on your finger.

There are non-surgical, non-permanent alternatives, like vinyl caps for their claws, marketed as "Soft Paws" or "Soft Claws".

Those have....less than stellar records for working. Many cats hate those damned things. The best solution is the simplest. Train your cat(s), and man the fuck up when they play with you/sleep on you.

Those have....less than stellar records for working. Many cats hate those damned things. The best solution is the simplest. Train your cat(s), and man the fuck up when they play with you/sleep on you.

Have I, in my attempt to guide the wicked onto the path of moderation, merely misled them into the path of mild wickedness? How shall I repent for this deed? Is there no hope?

Back